close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

No log? No problem! What did you do today?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, Jul 14, 2013.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999

way to go dude! There are more PRs coming I'm sure.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

Feb 5, 2013
    Morning stretch at home leg lifts, crunches,ab carver, back hyper extension, inversion table. Breakfast, light chores, shower. Went to "Y", hour on treadmill walking watching Canada women's olympic hockey. Used weight machines for an hour and a half, light to moderate weight, one set, lots of reps. Free weights bench press 3x18 100 lbs. Lat pull downs 3x18 140 lbs. Swam for 45 min. freestyle and breast stroke. 15 minutes in steam room, 15 minutes in sauna, cold showers in between and after. Grilled chicken and salad for dinner. No pain in Knees and Left sacro-illiac joint.

3. Hyksos

Hyksos

May 15, 2008
    Jupiter/Miami, FL
    PR DAY FOR ME BROTHERS!

Squat PR: 5x5 135, 170 170 170 170

Bench PR: 5x5 140

Pendlay Row PR: 5x5 120

Also did some ab machine, assisted weight pullups, chinups, and hanging ab crunches.

4. Jakestir

Jakestir

Feb 16, 2013
    North central IL
    Been awhile.

Sitting at 280 on the power clean, 405 squats, 405 dead lift, and 315 on the bench.

Not really where I wanted to be on squats and deads. Would have liked to be around 425. Happy with cleans and bench though. Unfortunately it's time to start the cardio up again and those number will drop a bit.

5. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    overhead press - 3x of 6 reps at 135

flat bench - pyramid sets up to 265

preacher curls - 3x of 6 reps with 90

tricep pulldowns - don't recall the weight

shrugs - 3x of 8 reps at 270

abs - 3x of 30 reps on naut machine

6. Keoking

Keoking

Jan 4, 2005
    Rowlett, TX
    Also started my first 5x5 program on Saturday, sort of. Don't have a barbell. Only have a decent cable pulley gym (Bodycraft Xpress Pro) and Bowflex 10-90 adjustable dumbbells. Even in my prime I've never been very strong (bench PR 210 when I weighed 180), but I've never done a program remotely like this. When I did lift weights, it was always higher reps than 5. If I stick with it and manage to outgrow my gym, hopefully I'll replace it with some sort of rack and bar.
    I had to replace BB squat with leg press one day and DB squats the other day. Can do the bench press and overhead press on the gym. I'm screwed on the deadlift. Weight stack only goes to 200, and I can already do it 5+ times (god knows what weight I am actually lifting). I'm trying to think of a safe way to increase the weight. Luckily the gym pulleys double the weight to the leg press, and have a feature to double the weight to the bench press.

7. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
  8. Hyksos

Hyksos

May 15, 2008
    Jupiter/Miami, FL
    Squat 5x5 @ 170lbs (finally)
    OHP 5x5 @ 100lbs (couldn't rep out last rep of last set - pissed)
    Dumbbell press
    dumbbell fly
    incline dumbbell fly
    lateral raises to fail

EDIT: Skipped deadlift again. Brodin is surely not pleased with me.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  9. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

Feb 5, 2013
    Swam for 1:15 at "Y". 1 hour of it was while wearing webbed gloves. Kicked for 1/2 hour. Sauna 2X for 20min. cold showers and water between and after. Tommorrow massage therapist.

10. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
  11. Hyksos

Hyksos

May 15, 2008
    Jupiter/Miami, FL
    Yesterday used my parents' clubhouse gym. Only dumbbells and machines :( (I'm visiting for weekend).

Chest fly
    Incline chest fl
    Dumbbell press
    Curls
    Skullcrushers
    Lateral raises

Ghetto ass squats where I put 50lb dumbbells (biggest they had) on the ground at my sides. I then squat down, grab them, and proceed to squat up and back down with them hitting the ground. It's not the best, but it works.

Hanging leg raises.
    Lat pulldowns.

I'm sore.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  12. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

Feb 5, 2013
    Pressed 4 time yesterday. 25 min on eliptical as hard and fast as I could. HR 130. Weight machines heavy weight 1 set as many reps as I could for the big muscles of leg and upper body. 10 min in sauna 10 min in cold shower. back in the truck and headed home 1 hour 20 minutes.

13. Hyksos

Hyksos

May 15, 2008
    Jupiter/Miami, FL
    Yesterday, NOTHING.
    Today, NOTHING.

Reason? Don't have a good one. I am actually hoping that posting my shame here will force me to go tomorrow.

The bad part is that I chose to drink after work today and yesterday....which I told myself I wasn't gonna do anymore. (Said no more drinking during the week). I've been good for like 4 months, but oh well.

Tomorrow i'll get back on the grind!

14. Hyksos

Hyksos

May 15, 2008
    Jupiter/Miami, FL
    Squat
    Bench
    Row
    Ab exercises
    Assisted pullups

15. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    So sick Monday, I thought death would be a good option. First time in years that I did not exercise. A virus is going around this area. People are down for a couple of days.

Today. 2.5 hours. The first hour is done outside to get some sunshine. I use a ledge, railings, or walls to assist. My physical problems include a lack of balance. Variously, toe raisers (each foot and both feet timed), leg kicks forward, back, sides, trunk twisting, various hip thrusts, head rotation exercises, shoulder and trunk exercises. In short - from head to toe.

Then to the basement of the Y for mat exercises that take an hour. Things like lying on the side and lifting a leg in the air and holding it, planks, crossed knees in the air and holding, face down - legs raised behind and holding.

Then finishing with exercises like towel behind the back (for rotator cuff) while having one leg horizontal on a rest and standing on one leg (5 minutes each side)or one foot on a stool with the other on the ground and running a rotator cuff exercise in this position for 5 minutes on each side. I also use a ballet barr or the equivalent for leg up in front or lifted behind.

Some of the exercises are "count exercises". Others are timed for 5 minutes. During the 5 minute exercises, I can practice recite and decline verbs in a foreign language. Multiple languages spoken at home.

All the exercises are stretching exercises. I cut out the daily weightlifting a couple of years ago so that I would have the time to do the exercises recommended by the Kaiser physical therapists.

16. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

Feb 5, 2013
    Went to "Y", 1/2 hour on step machine, weight machines for hour and a half 3 sets moderate weight 15-18 reps/set, 3rd set was usually 8 reps to failure, 1/2 hour on eliptical. 1/2 hour swim, 15 minute sauna, cool shower.

17. Keoking

Keoking

Jan 4, 2005
    Rowlett, TX
    Finally picked up a squat rack and 300# weight set last weekend. Just completed my 4th 5x5 workout using free weights instead of my cable/stack machine.

Squat 130# 5x5
    OH Press 85# 5x5
    Deadlift 185# 1x5
    Machine row 3 sets to failure

18. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

Feb 5, 2013
    25 min. cross-country ski machine. Dumbells in basement 15-25 35 lbs. 2 sets each OH press, bent over row, flys. 18-12-8 reps last set to failure

19. Hyksos

Hyksos

May 15, 2008
    Jupiter/Miami, FL
    Props to you fellow swoldier. I too follow the 5x5 Stronglifts path.

Today:

Squat 175 5x5
    OHP 95 5x5
    Deadlift 225 3x5 (normally do 1x5 275 but felt like doing less weight today)
    Nothing extra, got in and got out

Did powerclean up 135 and walked it to the squat rack to rack the bar up high after I was done.

PS: I don't know how much you've deadlifted in your time, but when I finally deadlifted 3 plates, I felt like a damn champion. I did it twice. Haven't yet tried to max out again.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014