close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

No Device Detected

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by snewsoG22, Aug 26, 2010.

1. snewsoG22

snewsoG22
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's my cd writer/copier. It was working fine one day, now it doesn't. When in Windows Media Player, under copy to cd, it says ''No device detected'' I've tried using other programs and I've looked for it on the computer but cannot find it.

Any ideas?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. cgwahl

cgwahl
    Expand Collapse
    Sheriffs a near

Did you do anything a few days ago that could explain why it doesn't show up? Install new software, call your computer a bad name, etc.?

If you right click My Computer->Manage->Device Manager...do you see CD/DVD? If so, do you see anything under that? If you see anything under that is there a question mark or exclamation mark?

3. snewsoG22

snewsoG22
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's not there either. The CD and DVD drive seems to be completely erased. It's like it isn't plugged in inside the machine or something. (Is that possible?) It is a desktop.

4. snewsoG22

snewsoG22
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I must've uninstalled it somehow?

5. cgwahl

cgwahl
    Expand Collapse
    Sheriffs a near

Drives go bad sometimes, it may or may not be the issue.

It wouldn't hurt to verify it is plugged in by pushing in the connections just to set your mind at ease and you never know, sometimes things get jarred loose. Turn it off first before trying it.

After doing that, in the device manager, at the top of the tree, right click and click Scan for hardware changes.

#5 cgwahl, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  6. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz
    Expand Collapse
    Annoying Member

If reseating the cables (on both the drive and the motherboard) doesn't fix it try inserting a bootable disc into the drive and restart the system. If the disc loads then we know that it's a software related issue and not a bad drive ... assuming that your BIOS setting are set to boot to the CD/DVD.

7. Swerved

Swerved
    Expand Collapse
    Not panicking

In addition to the above posts...

Is the drive getting power (will it eject, spin up, etc.)?

If it is getting power and just not being recognized: Is it a SATA CD/DVD writer or is it IDE? If it's SATA, try a spare cable if you have one. I've seen those things go bad on many occasions. Seems the little thin plastic on the plug ends of the cable can warp and cause the contacts to pull away from where it plugs in on the drive. Sounds far fetched, but I've seen it on many occasions. Especially if it's a computer that stays on a lot.

If it's IDE, then do what the posters above said.. Check cables, re-seat them, try other cables (if you have them handy) etc... Also I'd look and see if the BIOS sees the drive as well. If it does, and Windows doesn't then it could just be a Windows issue. If it's not seen in the BIOS either, it's either not getting power, a cable is bad, or the drive is bad...

Good news is, those drives are pretty cheap now days.