close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nissan Rogue CVT, Hyundai Santa Fe?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tvov, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Tvov

Tvov

Hello all. I was just wondering about any experiences people have had with the Nissan Rogue suv/crossover, with the CVT transmission.

We are looking at a 2010 Nissan Rogue that is in practically mint condition, with only 13,000 miles on it. It is not loaded with options, but has pretty much everything you'd expect in a new vehicle.

I've never had a CVT, but I understand that they are becoming more popular. From reading, Nissan added a 10 year, 120,000 mile warranty to their CVT transmissions up to and including the 2010 model year. I don't know whether that is good, or makes me nervous!

We are also looking at a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe that has more miles (38,000), but is in very good condition. It is larger than the Rogue, and has much more options, essentially "loaded". Any thought about that? I have been hearing that Hyundai has become an excellent, high quality car maker.

Estimated fuel mileage between the two is almost identical, 21 for the Rogue and 22 for the Santa Fe - which surprises me, as the Santa Fe is substantially larger. I understand that "estimated" translated means "don't expect anything near this", lol!

Experiences, ideas, thoughts? We will be buying something next week.

Thanks!

2. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

I rented a car with CVT. I get it, but it felt extremely weird to me. It would take some getting used to.

I've also rented a Santa Fe, and I liked it - especially the drivetrain, which I thought was very smooth. It did have a bit of a rough ride, but that's nothing that couldn't be fixed with a new set of tires and shocks.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

3. BigChuck73

BigChuck73 Registered Lurk

I have a 2010 Rogue and love it. No problems with the cvt whatsoever.

Was actually thinking of upgrading to a 2013

4. Z71bill

Z71bill

Just had the transmission replaced in our 2010 Santa Fe with 17K miles - it was just a little hesitation before "going into gear" from park to drive - and sometimes a small thump / clunk when you put it in gear --

One one hand - it is a disappointment to need a new transmission in a vehicle with this few miles -

On the other hand - Hyundai didn't mess around - they stepped up and made it right.

Our V6 with AWD is mostly a buzz around town grocery getter - 95% city miles - we get 16-17 MPG -

BTW - 2013 model Santa Fe is due to be out soon - significant changes compared to old model.

Not sure - but it seems like prices of the "old" body style drop when a new style comes out.

5. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

16-17 MPG?

I'm sorry, is that a typo?

6. Tvov

Tvov

Around town with a V-6 in a SUV? I would expect below 20mpg. The Nissan Pathfinders get similar mileage as my F-250 -- 14mpg!

7. Tvov

Tvov

How many miles do you have on it?

8. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

I had a 2010 Rogue that we put about 47k miles on it from new before trading it on something bigger. I had absolutely no issues with it. I wanted to keep it, but couldn't swing two car payments being my wife is a stay at home mom.

9. Tvov

Tvov

Thanks for the quick responses, keep'em coming!

10. A6Gator

A6Gator

We got a Santa Fe last year. V-6, FWD. Runs great and gets around 20 in town and 26 on the highway.

11. FCastle88

FCastle88

Is the Santa Fe a CPO from a Hyundai dealer, or can they certify it for an extra charge so you can get the 10year/100K powertrain warranty? Is it a V6? I haven't driven either vehicle, but I'm not a fan of the CVT. I test drove a Suzuki crossover with a CVT, if I remember correctly Suzuki and Nissan both use CVT's from the same manufacturer. The CVT was nice for cruising at highway speeds, but acceleration was very slow, trying to pull out into 40MPH traffic was nerve-racking, as was merging onto the highway. I was thinking about getting a V6 Santa Fe in a couple years, but it looks like Hyundai is only offering the V6 in their new 7 passenger model now.

12. bchandler

bchandler

Following what the last poster said, make sure it's sold through a hyundai dealer, or else the famous 10/100 warranty will not carry over. Second owners get a 5/60 warranty. The original 10/100 is for the original owner only, unless purchased through a hyundai dealer as a CPO.

Not sure how Nissan does it, but might be worth checking out, especially for that transmission. As I understand it the CVT has a belt, and a belt wears, at least faster than metal gears do. So that'd be something I'd want covered until I sold the car.

13. myrc

myrc

I was torn between the two vehicles as well when I was looking last December. I ended up getting a 2012 Rogue AWD and have no regrets.

The Santa Fe seemed great (my father had a 2010 that I drove quite a bit)... however, if you research them you'll find tons of complaints on the transmission. Specifically slipping or failure to engage. Please note that it happened to someone on this thread. From what I read, whether or not the warranty is honored really depends on the dealer. There are a LOT of unsatisfied Hyundai owners out there on the internet because of this.

The clincher for me was when my Dad's Santa Fe started doing it as well. Very sad considering he only had the 2WD version. There's a huge design flaw in their transmission. I passed on that even though I really preferred the extra size and interior of the Santa Fe.

FYI: In reference to the previous commenter, the belt in the CVT for that year is supposed to be steel according to a 2010 Nissan video I watched.

Gas Mileage: My 2012 Rogue AWD gets real gas mileage of approx 20.5 city / 27 highway.

TLDR: Please Google Hyundai transmission problems before you decide.

14. gTWO

gTWO

My wife and I drive cars with CVT. We both love them, mainly for the fantastic mileage. 2012 Subaru Impreza and Outback. For those of you who snomobile, you know how fantastic a CVT *can* be for performance. It all depends on the programming.

You'll have to drive the car to see if it performs the way you require. You lose the ability to 'launch' using high rpm and slipping the clutch, which in the case of my heavy, 145 HP Impreza, is annoying when I'm trying to jump into fast traffic at an intersection.

OTOH, 34 to 37 MPG is completely worth it, and having the CVT instantly downshift just enough to climb a grade, or accelerate around traffic is really neat.

I swore I'd never own another automatic after my 1st, but good CVT's are very good. I'll keep buying them.

15. handyman

handyman

My dad has a 2011 Rouge just over 15,000 miles no problems so far. Mileage on the hwy 29 mpg.

16. happy seal

happy seal

2006 Murano w/ the CVT. Not the best on mileage but that doesn't apply to you.

I have taken this car out onto the snow and ice and beat the crap out of it trying to get it to break loose and give me back any type negative feel. Just didn't work. The car tracked flawlessly. We also tow with the vehicle without a problem. One thing about the CVT is the swith to lock the diff. It is on the top of the center console under the radio and can be pushed by accident therefore locking the diff into 4 X4 which is deadly for the trans!

At least that's where the old switch is = not sure bout the newer models.

17. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

Honda CR V..............accept no substitutes

18. clancy

clancy

I have a 2010 Santa Fe. Excellent vehicle, around 21-25mpg,
    42,000 miles with no issues. I would not hesitate to buy another or recommend one.

19. man.cave

man.cave

I own a 2011 Kia Sorento which is basically the same as the hyunda. It is a V6 AWD and I really like it. My sister has a Rogue, although it is nice it isn't as nice or roomy as my kia. I also had a 2010 maxima with the CVT which was great, but my sisters rogue is just so weak. My wife gets around 20-22 around town 27-30 on trip. oh who ever said to get the Honda, that is ok, as long as you don't need AWD. There system sucks. Funny I have this kia and a 2012 subaru Forester and a2009 Tundra, all with different 4wd/awd systems.

20. Z71bill

Z71bill

Mostly city - heavy stop and go traffic - 100% AC

Same MPG as the Mazda3, better than the TL - when we use our Tahoe as a daily driver we get close to 9 MPG.

The few all highway trips we got right at 28 MPG in the Santa Fe - will do 19 in the Tahoe.

Houston traffic sucks ass - I mean gas - actually both.