close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nikon M-223 1-4x 20mm BDC 600?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by hkcavalier, Mar 4, 2012.

1. hkcavalier

hkcavalier

Feb 26, 2012
    Hey guys I'm thinking of getting a Nikon M-223 1-4x 20mm scope with the BDC 600 reticle for my self-built AR. Tax return money! Rifle is a 20" stainless barrel 1:8 twist. Not for shooting varmits, I would go with a much higher magnification scope for that. More of a range toy really.

Also thinking of the Burris P.E.P.R. mount, seems to be good quality and inexpensive.

Anyone have some experience with this scope and/or mount? I have a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x on another rifle and it's great, but the Nikon looks to have much better turrets (no tiny covers to take off and invariably lose) and a more robust look to it. Another scope I've considered is the Hi-Lux 1-4x 24mm with the illuminated reticle. I'd go "Made in America" all the way with a Leupold Mark 4 but just can't do $900 for a scope right now.

2. Landric

Landric Supervisor?

I had the M-223 1-4x with the point blank reticle. I didn't care for the turrets, way too easy to move a couple of clicks without noticing and no way to lock them. Overall it was a good scope, especially for what is cost, but I sold it. I think I will replace it with something like a Burris TAC30, or perhaps a low fixed power scope. I went back to iron sights on the rifle it was on for now.

I got the PEPR mount and I was not impressed with the quality, too "Made in China" for me (it was made in China to be fair). The Nikon M-223 mount goes for about the same, and it is made in the US by Warne, so it is probably a lot better quality.

3. I was in the same boat, and after much research I settled on the Burris MTAC (the updated version of the TAC 30). It's only a little more than the Nikon M223, but it has many advantages over the Nikon.

If I was to get a Nikon, I'd get the Nikon Monarch African over the M223, any day.

GlockMonk

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    Glad to hear I wasn't the only person who came to this conclusion. As I usually shoot lefty with a long gun, I figured the windage knob would probably get moved every time I slung/unslung my rifle, or possibly just during carry if it bumped any other gear.

Pushed me away from the Nikons with exposed knobs/dials altogether.

5. BC Dan

BC Dan

May 23, 2008
    Oregon
    I have that scope and the P.E.P.R. mount on my DD carbine. I have not had any issues with the turrets moving, but I don't shoot the rifle much other than at the range. I have the point blank reticle and for playing at the range under 200 yards, it works fine. If I were shooting much past 200 yards, I would want a different reticle.