close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nightmare in Ohio

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by fowl intent, Oct 7, 2012.

1. jp3975

jp3975

Nov 13, 2008
    Texarkana, Tx
    Wasnt always that way, sadly. I was arrested in Irving back in 2004 for having an unloaded Browning Hi-power on the seat.

They picked me up because i had a magazine in my pocket. Cops said I should have had it in the trunk of my single cab pickup. [No, I didnt have a toolbox]

To be fair to the cops, I guess I should have taken a nap at a hotel, rather than a parking lot.

If I remember correctly the law read that the gun had to be unloaded and visible. I thought i was following the law.

At least it was just a misdemeanor, but it sucks to have to say you where arrested on a gun charge on some applications. And it stopped me from being a cop in Texas.

My lawyer said I could get it expunged, but I wasnt paying him anymore money at the time. I wonder if its too late?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    The funny part is, Ohio is a gun happy state. I should know, I worked in the office that issued CCW permits in my area. It is not difficult to follow the law.

I did not equate the armed robbery and the knucklehead who was in the OP. I was likening the gun comparison (no firing pin or whatever).

Thanks though.

I'm carrying my G27 right now and he's sitting in jail. Wah wah.

Sent from my PKE meter.

3. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I would go far to say anyone who has filed a tax return is potential felon. You have broken tax laws if you have filed.

4. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    I learned very young to hire a CPA to do mine.

Ffffff that.

Sent from my PKE meter.

5. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Kansas
    Sounds like you were.

6. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

You still signed it saying everything was correct.

You think Bernie Madoff prepared his own taxes??

7. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I pay my accountant ungodly sums of money for the IRS stuff, because it isn't possible for someone who doesn't spend all day studying tax law to get it 100% right every time. :)

I'm not saying people should disregard the law... I'm just saying there comes a point when the number of laws becomes so large that even those with the best of intentions can't know or follow them all.

In the mean time, we all do our best I guess.

8. philipk

philipk

Mar 12, 2000
    NE Ohio
    This was my number one reason for getting an Ohio CCW.

I am 55 and for most of my life I travelled to the range with my handguns and loaded magazines in separate bags in the truck. All those years I was ignorant that I was committing a felony.

Luckily I was never stopped.

There is a bill in the Ohio Legislature to change this but I think it is still in committee in the Senate.

IMHO
    EVERY gun owner should have a CCW to protect themselves on car carry issues.

9. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Dec 5, 2002
    Dallas TX
    HAHAHAHA! You have to be joking!

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Dec 5, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Line of the year right there!

11. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    Sure. He also signs it stating he prepared it and I also enter into a contract with him as far as audits and terms of liability go.

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

I have a tax attorney do my corporate and personal taxes. Guess what?

1. If there are any screw ups, I am liable, not the CPA, not the tax atty.

2. If the IRS, or my state tax dept screws up, and there is a finding in the favor of the state, I am still liable.

3. Having a CPA or tax atty does not grant one immunity from the law, and it certainly does not mean you have followed the law to the letter. As with LE, there is always something in the tax code where you can be dinged - if .gov looked hard enough.

Maybe you forgot to pay sales tax on an out of state purchase? Maybe you forgot to declare some amount of income you received?

- G

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

No, that is not exactly how it works sir.

A LEO, I expect, would have a more granular understanding of how tax laws work.

14. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Dec 5, 2002
    Dallas TX
    There are but a few GT posters who offer little or nothing consistently. You are the de facto President of that group.

15. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    Gracias!

Sent from my PKE meter.

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I have an Ohio CHL. I have never, and still don't, carry loaded mags in the car except for the one in my carry piece and the spare mag on my belt. I've over heard people at the gun shop exclaiming their surprise when they find out they have been illegally carrying loaded mags in the car all this time.

17. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Whoa, easy.....that kind of language isn't tolerated here....warning....and I'm sure it wasn't done to generate revenue, as you suggest. It is called law enforcement for a reason (enforcing laws!).

18. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH

This was the main reason I got mine too. I carry 80% of the time.

19. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

May 27, 1999
    Oh, USA
    I don't blame him, who would want to read some of the "stuff" in here? I still hope his friend gets a sympathetic PA and or judge and avoids a felony charge. Ignorance of the law is no excuce, but being a decent person with a clean record, being honest with the officer and straight with the judge may mitigate some of the damage.

20. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, but it is actually quite simple. If you're going into a state where you don't know the law, click on http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and spend five minutes reading. Wow. It isn't a full time job. If you can't spend five or ten minutes checking out laws then I start to question your level of responsibility. None of us know every single law, but we can get it 99% right, and then use best judgement for the rest.

My bet is the guy gets off with no charges filed. Maybe probation on a misdemeanor and a court costs fine.