close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nightmare in Ohio

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by fowl intent, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    Is it a misunderstanding or a blatant disregard?

It's not difficult to carry legally in Ohio, plenty of people do it every single day.

Sent from my PKE meter.

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I get the feeling Jonesee is a "fudd", as they say. He only carries a handgun in his car unloaded and secured? really? What's the point of even owning one if he doesn't use it for self defense or hunting?:upeyes: What would be the point of subscribing to a handgun forum?

Honestly, Fudd is giving him the benefit of the doubt, that he isn't some anti-gunner from DU, playing his "gun owner" character.

3. I understand the cop having to make the arrest. And I understand that the anti-gun people have out voted the pro-gun people to allow these types of unconstitutional laws to exist.

But what I would hope is that every member of GT would nullify such anti-gun prosecutions if ever picked to be on the jury.

We need much more unity. We need to be more accepting of different ideas of hunting, and of carrying guns, and of the types of guns one might choose to transport or carry.

As long as a gun owner is not pointing his/her gun at someone nor being wreckless in their shooting habits, we should not favor crimal treatment of gun ownership.

4. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    We should however allow criminal treatment of those who fail to follow the laws that EVERYBODY else needs to follow, with no issues.

My area is very speedy in there issuing of CCW permits. No reason otherwise.

Sent from my PKE meter.

5. Not me, I'm not voting to convict anyone just because they don't have a permit. The only permit they need is the US Constitution. Anything else is an unnecessary anti-gun and economic burden placed on otherwise law abiding people.

We have to follow the anti-gun laws, but we can still legally challenge them at every opportunity. Juror nullification is one such opportunity.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  6. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Feb 22, 2010
    No question the police officer really had his hands tied. My problem is with the law in Ohio.

It isn't straightforward. I can:

Disassemble my pistol completely, leave the firing pin at home, lock the loaded magazine in a safe to which I don't have they key. Get pulled over and STILL be charged with a felony.

Something is seriously wrong with that. I understand your desire to defend the need to enforce the law as written. I have no problem with that per se. However, the laws in Ohio pertaining to transporting weapons in vehicles is indefensible.

7. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Kansas
    ^Crazy and not helpful.

^^Sane, well thought out, and effectively expressed.

8. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    I love the fact the the OP has never returned, answered any questions, or given any other information.

9. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH
    You missed it one page back amongst the other replies.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19496929&postcount=93

I would still like to know what area of Ohio he was arrested in. It will (probably) make a difference. Come around any major city and he has a higher chance of getting the full brunt. Any of the more rural spots and he may stand a chance if he has a good attorney.

10. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    If an armed robbery is committed with a weapon as you described, should we remove the gun spec here in Ohio?

Sent from my PKE meter.

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

I hope if a herd of swine decide to make a meal out of your dad or son I am there instead of you to save the life of that human.

You might want to rethink your interpretation of God's will, and the laws that govern true Christianity.

-G

12. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    [​IMG]

When you run out into your front yard, AR raised high in defiance, ready to join the revolution.......look around.

If you're the only one in their front yard raising their rifle in defiance, it's still too early.:rofl::rofl:

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003
    So far from what I've read of the original story (as posted), this nightmare was self-created. If you carry a handgun in any state, you really need to be hyper vigilant when you leave your state. There aint no excuse for not knowing what other states require.

14. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Wow.

Are you seriously conflating the story of a man with no record who immediately notified the officer of his carry status with an armed robbery?

That comparison is so ludicrous I'm not even going to bother with it.

If you truly believe that the man in question so grievously injured the "State" of Ohio through his actions that he needs to be branded as a felon for life, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

15. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    I always carry a 6" 357 when hunting.....it's just another tool to hunt with!

16. The guy definitely made his own bed by not knowing the laws of the state in which he'd be hunting/travelling.

The argument can certainly be made he shouldn't have had to look up Ohio law, but that's not the case now.

If I were on the jury, I would nullify and vote not guilty.

17. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Feb 22, 2010
    While I agree with you for the most part, I will add this. It is nearly impossible for any one person to understand all the laws in effect in their own area...and even less possible to know the laws in different states.

The legal system in this country is so complex that even an attorney (someone a Doctorate in law) isn't considered to be qualified to practice law in a different state without first passing the bar. The tax-code is so complex that major corporations spend millions of dollars per year hiring consultants to help them navigate the system.

The old saying "ignorance of the law is no excuse" is simply not realistic. I'd venture to say every peson on this board is guilty of violating some law at some point. Be it jaywalking, speeding or not filing a tax return for an item purchase online. There is no way to even know all applicable laws, let alone obey them.

We all just do the best we can and hope that the law is applied judiciously to those who are truly dangerous to society.

Back to the subject of Ohio Gun laws:

Roughly One year ago, if I walked into my local bar with my CCW IWB at 11:59 and 58 seconds I'd have been guilty of a felony. Exactly two seconds later On October 1st CCW in Bars became leag and thus I'm perfectly legal. I'm sure certain individuals on Glocktalk would be perfectly ok with locking me up for a year over those two seconds of being "ignorant" of the law.

18. spcwes

spcwes

Feb 22, 2005
    Texas
    Two points:

One I don’t live in Ohio so not sure of the laws there.
    Two I carry loaded handgun every place I go no matter where it is. Although I am an excellent marksman with my TC single shot 308 it is by far nothing more than a deer gun at best. If confronted with reality (the thing missing in your post) having a handgun available to transition to after my single round from the rifle has been fired is very comforting and makes perfect sense to me since the woods in my STATE are full of people that grow and manufacture illegal drugs and some might kill you for having walked past them.

Also to note, because I live in a state that allows its citizens rights vs. states that disallow their subjects the same I carry my weapons loaded and concealed in my vehicle and am not concerned with breaking laws because it is legal. Unloaded guns can be used to beat someone I guess…..

19. jp3975

jp3975

Nov 13, 2008
    Texarkana, Tx
    Do you think a person who has committed armed robbery is going to put his gun in the trunk?

A criminal will do whatever they want.

A normal citizen wouldnt shoot at you in the first place.

What makes people who pay a fee to be able to carry a gun in the car so much more special than those who havent or cant afford to pay up?

Might as well ban CCW holders from carrying a gun in the car in OH.

20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

Yes, but there are a few laws I don't try to mess with.

IRS stuff
    Gun stuff
    Insurance/compliance stuff
    Use of deadly force as an affirmative defense

and when I was much younger,
    What was the age for consent
    Speed limits

Not saying anyone else has to be like me, just how I chose to roll.

"Freedom" is not simply free. You have to earn your spot in a free society.