close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nightmare in Ohio

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by fowl intent, Oct 7, 2012.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Why does rifle hunting make more sense than handgun hunting?

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Well, unless they carry a handgun for hunting.

Of if their rifle has a black plastic stock instead of fine wood grain.

Or if their boots are not made by LL Bean.

3. boone10

boone10 Glockeologist

Redonkulous statement right here.

Surely the handgun was to ensure a safe trip to and from the woods. Do you only carry when you go to the "hood"? If so, my best to you and yours.

4. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

You and me both. One of the many reasons I've never lived outside of this state, and never will.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That's true. I forgot about the shotgun thing.

6. dbcooper

dbcooper

I don't know about Alabama but in Fl. you're good in the car

Fl. Statute 790.25
    (5) Possesion in Private Conveyance
    Not withstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of 790.01 for a person 18 yrs of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance , without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such a firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons , including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Fl. 790.001
    (17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether locked or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether locked or not locked; in a zippered case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

If you got in a shoebox with a lid on it in the front seat you are within the law.

7. uptomyneck

uptomyneck

IMO, the only POS in this whole scenario is the cop who arrested the OP's friend. Ruined a man's life for what? Admitting he had a big, scary gun. The pig should be ashamed of himself. But of course we know he won't. He generated revenue so it's all good.

8. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wow......I could just go on and on.:supergrin:

9. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

You are blissfully ignorant of many things.

First off, your scouting means nothing with the newer meth cooking techniques. Around here, they often drop off the stuff in the evening and pick it up in the morning. It doesn't take days of sitting, anymore. I prefer to hunt deer when they are moving the most, in the morning and in the evening. In til dark, out after dark. That's when they're moving this stuff.

Add on top of that, poachers and trespassers are rampant and armed.

I recommend you carry a defensive weapon ALL THE TIME.

So did KS, no permit to carry necessary, so long as you have proper documentation of legal huning actually going on. The law is specifically for a defensive weapon, open or concealed.

Oh, good!! You're here...

You forgot about the POS's who MADE the laws and the POS's who made the roads only listed for that low speed limit and the POS's that made the vehicle he was in that was capable of performing an illegal act (speeding) and had enough cargo space to hold an illegal weapon.

It's okay, you seem to be new at pointing fingers. Just know, there is much more hate to be shared.

If the LEO was made aware of a felony and most likely didn't have the option of looking the other way.

10. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

I'm going to answer your question with another question: 'Why do people fight small arms engagements with rifles and carbines rather than handguns?' :freak:

Game hunting shouldn't be about sport; it should be about eating, instead. I recently watched one of my neighbors, 'put down' three meat cattle with an assortment of 357 Magnum and 45 ACP pistols. A more gruesome, bloody, prolonged, and needlessly brutal execution of farm animals - who shouldn't have had to die that way - I've never seen!

What is more - not that I'm proud of it, but - I've, probably, killed more fowl and game animals than anyone else on this board! The first time a minister discussed my excessive love of hunting with me I remember telling him, 'Pastor, if there's no hunting in Heaven then I don't want to go there!'

Years later it took an especially knowledgeable Rabbi to explain to me - and prove through Holy Scripture - that all sport hunting is wrong. We are ALL God's creatures; and the taking of any animal's life can only be justified (and forgiven) when that animal is taken as food. No other rationale is acceptable to God.

I don't hunt anymore; but if I did it would be with large caliber (probably centerfire) rifles, and 12 gauge (or larger) shotguns. I no longer play with either sport hunting or handguns when they are used for any such purpose. I'm, now, older than that.

11. bmoore

bmoore

I am convinced you just post to push peoples buttons, you can't possibly be as stupid as you look on this forum. I work with a guy like you, "the sky is blue today Jim"............."no its not its lavender". Same crap everyday, just likes to argrue but everyone thinks hes an idiot.

12. uptomyneck

uptomyneck

The Statist Apologist Doctrine montra here is older than "I bet I know where you got 'dem shoes."

That SOB that did the arresting violated the God given right that was promised to us in the 2nd. You're all in favor of stedfastly enforcing corrupt laws made by corrupt politicians. You Neocons are worse than the Communists. Wake the FU!

13. fowl intent

fowl intent

I have read the responses, and I agree that ignorance of the Ohio law is no excuse. From what I understand, he had just stopped for gas, and gone into the station for some eats. The pistol, which he had on the seat beside him while traveling, was placed under his seat so as not to make his truck the target of a smash and grab. He apparantly failed to remove the pistol from under the seat (which would'nt have helped him under Ohio's law, but would have made carrying the non-concealed handgun legal under his home state's laws).

Anyway, he has been referrred to a local attorney, and hopefully will get the sympathy of the local District Attorney and be able to negotiate a misdemeanor plea with fine. My point was simply that you do have to be familiar with the gun laws (all laws for that matter) when you are traveling to or through other states.

I won't get into the debate about whether you should carry a handgun while hunting with another weapon, but in some situtations, and in some areas it makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  14. jp3975

jp3975

He lives in a state where you can legally carry a loaded gun in the car...the way it should be in every state.

Sure, we are a nation of laws, but this is a stupid, senseless law that doesnt do anyone any good.

If someone is intent on murder, they dont care about laws and will carry in the car.

The only people who observe the law are people who arent a danger to anyone by having a gun in the car...accept maybe to criminals.

15. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

"Play gunslinger"? Is that what you do in the woods????? :shocked:

Getting back to the actual discussion (as opposed to the 'gunslinger' fantasies you seem to harbor), first, most people walking around in arid hill and brush country don't do so with a rifle perpetually held in their hands at "port arms". The rifle is normally slung when walking long distances so that the arms and hands are free to perform other tasks, like clearing a path, reading maps, drinking water, climbing, working binos, etc., etc., etc. - but of course anyone who actually does any sort of back country hiking would already know that...funny that you don't. :whistling:

Second, as I stated before, when you encounter illegals and worse yet, "coyotes" hailing from MS13 or other gangs with Cartel ties, it's normally a close quarters, surprise situation. Unslinging a bolt-action hunting rifle, chambering a round and bringing it to bear is much more cumbersome and time consuming than simply drawing a handgun.

This is the same reason why most people don't walk around town with a slung rifle and instead opt to carry concealed handguns to deal with a surprise attack situation. Long guns just aren't practical in close quarters, surprise situations, on the street or in brush country - and for all the same reasons.

:wavey:

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Ok, then it is not handguns that bother you, but sport hunting.

Using your logic, hunting with a rifle is bad too. But if it must be done, the logical conclusion is it should be done over bait to get the animal in close, maybe at night with a spotlight too. Better yet to raise your own animals and kill them at contact distance.

However, the guy making a mess up close with a handgun didn't know what he was doing, so I wouldn't put all handgun users down for that guy's mistakes. Farm animals are not generally slaughtered with .458 magnums.

But back to sport hunting, what is wrong with it? Is it that the animal might briefly suffer? Or is it that the hunter takes pleasure in the experience?

The meat eater takes pleasure in the experience of eating meat, and could instead choose to be vegetarian. So why should the sport hunter not take pleasure in the pursuit, method of killing, and the eventual eating? As we all know, the sport hunter appreciates the wild animals and helps to preserve their habitat, and keep the species thriving.

17. Little Joe

Little Joe

If I were the officer, given the fact he was an out-of-state hunter, I would have given your friend a run down of the law and had him unload, lock it up and be on his way.

18. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

The victim is the state of Ohio.

It's not a paperwork mixup, he failed to follow the laws as written by the state of Ohio.

Sent from my PKE meter.

19. Little Joe

Little Joe

No harm, no foul. Why ruin a guys life for misunderstanding. Clean record and all...

20. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Further, what was he charged with?

CCW? Weapons under disability? Improper handling?

Sent from my PKE meter.