close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nightmare in Ohio

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by fowl intent, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

OK, you just ruined Glocktalk, you have to leave now. What will people do if they can't do put each other down? :rofl: :rofl:

2. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

That sucks. :shocked:

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

At any given time I have 3 guns loaded and concealed in my vehicle. When I get in that usually makes 4.

4. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

what about crossbows? I'm leaning toward getting one for next year.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Your friend's entire problem could have been avoided by getting a concealed carry permit, or by not volunteering information, or by not speeding. It took him several dumb steps to get put in jail.

Felony:
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  6. BEER

BEER bad example

i carry a hand gun while hunting because i've been coming down from the stand to discover a rabid feral dog waiting below. i don't know what level of badassery you've reached in life but i personally haven't quite reached the level where i can hang onto a ladder and operate a scoped bolt or lever rifle at the same time.

i carry a handgun every day in the city so i don't see why i wouldn't do so in the woods too.

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That must be great. Personally, it has been many years since I've been hunting without running into at least one trespasser - even been held at gunpoint by one (I assume I was at gunpoint, since I never actually got a look at him). For the wackos and criminals in the woods, I keep a handgun concealed because it's fast and concealed.

Seems important to you...why? I have a gun on before I go in the woods and after I come out - why would I take off my jacket and take off my gun (usually a shoulder holster) just to leave it behind? Seems like a pretty silly rule you just made.

8. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

I'm with Bren here. I could even add a couple more things that he didn't do (like take a look at the frickin' laws of the state he's going to).

In Ohio, it is a must inform state, so he actually did need to tell the officer that. But NC isn't a state where you can't just carry around an accessible handgun either. So WHAT THE HECK WAS HE THINKING? He wasn't even in compliance with his own state's laws. Sorry, the guy is a bonehead.

Do people just think "I'm going hunting. Gotta carry me some guns. Yahoo." and just get in their cars and expect everything to be hunting wonderland?

The guy should get a CCW license. It is one of the minor hoops we jump through. It gives you lots of extra rights in most states all around the country. For anyone who carries it is really a no-brainer.

People: if you want to carry guns legally, you need to know the laws. It is that simple!

(the us handgun law site, referenced above, is your best starting point). I live in one state (KY) and work in another (IN), so I'm in two states daily. Plus, OH is very close (I was at a Reds game three weeks ago, DID NOT carry into the game, but had gun in car). You've got to know the laws, or you can see what may happen.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That crossed my mind too - not to mention, he could stay out of Ohio. If it's a great place to hunt, how come they all come to Kentucky in November?

10. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

What the heck was he thinking?

Maybe that he was in the United States?

What kind of state wouldn't allow someone to keep a loaded and a cessible handgun in their car? That's just bizarre.

11. Louisville Glocker

CF,
    I'm assuming sarcasm here. Excuse me if I'm wrong, haven't had my coffee yet. I don't know where you live, but if you plan to travel you should realize that different states have different laws. Learn the laws in your own state first. Then expand from there. If you want to live in the wild, you can try borneo or Tanzania, or - well, there is probably nowhere left on this planet that is truly wild. But we live in a society and our society is governed by laws. I enjoyed the "Deadwood" series recently, where laws are just starting to come into play, and it was interesting and a fun show.

The guy was in violation of his own state laws!!! He can't blame it on not knowing about other states' laws.

BUT, and this is a big one, he would have been fine if he had gotten a license. We all get licenses to drive, which seems reasonable, and it isn't completely crazy that we get licenses to carry. In both cases, they may keep some of the wackos off the streets. The state DOES allow him to carry loaded, but he needs to jump through a couple easy hoops, like we all do throughout life.

12. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Sure the guy made some mistakes along the way. But lets not let the stockholm syndrome get out of hand folks.

The mistakes this guy made are simple errors of paperwork.

Assuming he has no criminal record that would prevent him from having a CCW, then his only true mistake was not unloading the pistol and magazine. He even informed the police officer...which clearly shows to me he has no intent to hurt anyone.

Lets all remember that the supreme law of the land affirms our God given right to keep and bear arms. Lets not condemn this man over what amounts to a simple paperwork snafu. This is a case where as a member of the Jury I'd nullify.

13. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Thank you Nancy Pelosi.

I'm preparing another check to Buckeye firearms association today in support of their efforts to change carry carry laws in Ohio.

It is just plain stupid that a person with a clean record should be considered a Felon simply because the rounds in his car were in a magazine rather than a cardboard box.

14. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

It only took one reply this time, GT. You're getting good at this.

15. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

because you can use a rifle there.

16. Louisville Glocker

Hamster,
    While I do sympathize with the guy, and I highly suspect the judge will let him off with leniency, this wasn't an error of paperwork.

He was in violation of state law. He was carrying a loaded accessible handgun when state law clearly prohibits it. The only paperwork involved is that he didn't bother to get a license.

Do you call it paperwork because laws are written on paper?

You don't have to agree with the laws, but if you break them, you just might go to jail.

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

They are ok too:)

They used to be illegal to hunt with in NYS. The stick bow hunters, and compound bowhunters have thus far kept them out of the bow season. You have to use them in gun season here.

But if the crossbow hunters ever win the right to use them in bow season, that will be fine with me :)

I've taken deer with compound bow, handgun, rifle, and shotgun. I'm working on muzzleloader next. That season is at the end when it is freaking 10 degrees out!

18. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

It sucks for your friend, but he did it to himself.

I cannot imagine why your friend thought it was a good idea to carry a concealed weapon without a permit, especially when traveling.

I am sympathetic, but he did it to himself with his ignorance.

19. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Twice in my life I ended up being, 'covered' by two, or more, other hunters whom I caught trespassing on our farmland. That's NOT where you want to be when you're carrying a double barreled shotgun full of birdshot. (I wasn't out looking for trespassers when we met.)

Another time I was quietly walking along an isolated dirt road when I glanced over my shoulder to discover I was being followed by a pack of 5 or 6 (I don't think actually feral, but) partially wild dogs! They were definitely tracking me; and, when the pack leader recognized that I was aware of them, he began coming on strong and straight at me.

I picked up a stick; but, it did not deter these animals. Instead of running away they suddenly fanned out in a circle around me! I'm a dog lover; normally, I'd go to extraordinary lengths to avoid hurting a dog; but, that day was different; and I clearly recognized that I was about to become, 'dinner'.

So, I reached under my jacket and removed my 1911. When I racked the slide it sounded like a thunderclap in those quiet woods! The next thing I know every canine instantly, 'melted away' from the spot where he'd been standing. All of them went in a different direction. Those dogs disappeared so fast into the surrounding brush that I couldn't have taken an accurate shot if I'd wanted to.

A little while later I heard the creatures calling to each other so that they could reassemble the pack. In those days I walked through these woods a lot. I only saw one or two of those dogs again; and it was way off in the distance along some railroad tracks. (They, probably, knew I was there; but they, obviously also, knew what a gun can do; and they never came near me again.)

Is there a place in the woods for a sidearm? I'd have to say, 'Sometimes'. I've known deer hunters who would carry small 22 caliber revolvers in order to administer a coup de grace without damaging the head; but, I've got to agree; personally I've never understood, 'Why' someone who is not a sports magazine writer or a handgun factory representative would deliberately go hunting with a handgun. To me handgun hunting just makes no sense. So, what should I do? Go over and sit in the corner with Jim Zumbo? :freak:

20. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I understand that the guy was in violation of the law, that he should have known better and that he will likely end up in jail.

I had just hoped that the response here on GT would be "Wow, this is terrible what can we do to change the law?" Rather than the Nuremberg defense.

As for the paperwork comment. Remember he was charged with a felony, not a misdemeanor. In my opinion for a felony charge, there should be a victim. But for applying for a CCW licence... OR removing the rounds from the magazine this man did nothing wrong.

He didn't hurt anyone
    He didn't threaten anyone
    He didn't destroy property
    He didn't cause someone injury of any kind.
    He didn't trespass

He even announced to the officer the fact he had a pistol for the officer's safety and piece of mind (as per Ohio CCW law).

It is my opinion that people should not be branded as felons over some minor technicality.