close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nightmare in Ohio

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by fowl intent, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Jonesee

Jonesee

Sorry guys. I believe what I believe.

You guys go in there with your 12" elephant skinner knives and black weapons and hand guns strapped to your leg. You will feel safe and I will laugh at you. And, we will both be tickled.

Been hunting alone since I was 9. I never once felt the need for a hand gun too. neither did my grandad, my dad and now my 3 grown sons. I've never hunted with a serious hunter that carried one either.
    Again, I have hunted the plains, southern US and the Rockies. I've never hunted Alaska where it may be wise.

But to each his own.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. Pawcatch@aol.co

Pawcatch@aol.co

What about people who hunt with handguns?Like Larry Weishuhn.

3. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

It is unfortunate, but you must be responsible when traveling to different states. As posted, the handgun site is like the bible for me.

4. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Yes. Ignorance of the law does not excuse one from it.

5. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Lets just hope, the one that laughs, at those, who feel it's necessary to always carry, is the one who wishes he had a carry! That way we, may have a giggle, and laugh, behind his back.:rofl: :rofl::rofl:

6. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sadly, this is an amazingly naive post. It must be nice to live in a world of unicorns and rainbows.

[​IMG]

7. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Then you're not carrying...you're transporting.

When I carry in a car, I just get in the driver's seat with it in my holster. Or, alternatively...I can take it out, sit it on the dash in broad daylight, and drive around with it like that. That's carrying.

8. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

In Ohio, even if a magazine is loaded and not in the gun, it is considered a loaded gun. Sorry for his troubles, but it's election year and his judge may want to set an example. They've done it before. Where in Ohio was he?

9. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

One big reason to have a concealed carry permit.

10. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Ohio laws are getting better but we do have crazy stuff still on the books.

Even if the gun and loaded magazine were locked up in separate parts of the car in a safe the driver didn't have a key to, it is still considered carrying a loaded weapon and thus illegal. UNLESS the guy has a Concealed carry permit. If he has one for NC, he'd best get a copy of it prior to seeing the judge.

11. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

I hope he is shown some leniency based on his age and lack of criminal history, but one thing that is guaranteed is that this will be an expensive lesson.

12. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

yep I have my CHL and covered. Hope he does and can get it to Ohio by Tuesday. Monday is Columbus Day, not sure if the courts are open Monday.

13. Wyoming

Wyoming

Left Ohio in 1979 and gun laws was one of the reasons. I could go on about what I saw as hypocritical about law enforcement but don't want to spend the time typing. (I'm very slow and it would take hours).

Went to a family reunion this summer and one of my cousins, a retired deputy, made a snide comment why he never came to visit me in Wyoming. Too many of us carry guns and he wouldn't be comfortable.:upeyes:

BTW, I was carrying concealed and he didn't even know.:rofl:

Too bad your friend didn't come to Wyoming to hunt. A loaded handgun in a vehicle was never illegal since I have been here. Now Wyoming is a no permit state like VT, AK and AZ.

I do and will maintain my Wyoming and Utah permit. Comes in handy when I travel.

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Because my .300 Winchester Magnum rifle fires too weak of a cartridge and I'd need a 10mm to protect myself against creatures of all kinds?

15. jp3975

jp3975

And what does it matter if its loaded and on you?

One thing ive never understood is laws that disarm drivers.

If someone wants to kill someone illegally, or kill a cop, the law isnt going to stop those people from killing.

16. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

It's a shame it happened. It's been said before, if you are going somewhere it is your own responsibility to find out the laws of the land first.

17. r3dot

r3dot

keep us updated

18. Shinytop

Shinytop

Personally I do not have my Florida CCW yet. I have an appointment for the 15th to apply for it and expect it to take 4-8 weeks before I have it. Until then I travel to ranges with gun unloaded and in the trunk in Florida and Alabama where my range is. I have looked up the reciprocity page on the web page for FL CCW and have a list of the 16 states that do not honor Florida's CCW. With the gun laws being what they are I think it foolish to carry and not be aware of the laws. I feel for your friend and don't feel he had felonious intent. But many law enforcement people will not give one a second chance on that offense.

19. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

In South Texas, at least, the pistol is handy because most encounters with illegals and the cartel "coyotes" that run them take place with very little notice and at very close distances, where a full-sized, bolt-action rifle is of little use. The illegals and "coyotes" normally hide in brush or take cover when they fear someone might be around, and when you encounter them it's normally by surprise and at close distance.

A handgun is very much a plus in situations like that.

20. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Woops! I bet he won't do that again. He should have researched the laws better and ever better yet, had a license to carry.

The firearms laws as a whole do suck though. I hope they go easy on him since it's his first offense (I think...:whistling:)