close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Nighthawk...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Quack, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. up1911fan

up1911fan

Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    Awesome. That's what I wan on a $2500 plus gun.

2. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    They also use Chip McCormick grip safeties. More MIM.

That thread is funny. All those silly people think that just because a 1911 cost $3,000.oo it should be high quality and have a good warranty. There's a sucker born every minute...

3. skdmrklcy

skdmrklcy Duck and Cover

Jun 10, 2004
    North of Cinci, Ohio
    Doesn't Springfield use MIM on the Professional as well?

I think it is a little surprising on any gun over 2k...

So what is MIM free that one can buy?

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Wilson is MIM free.

5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Yep. And frames too.

:rofl:

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I ordered my last Wilson with ALL MIM parts. Including the slide, frame and barrel. Sights were all steel though. :whistling:

7. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Yup, and a Mimber barrel too. :)

8. Z28ricer

Z28ricer

Aug 4, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Oh noes, they're all gonna fall apart now.

:upeyes:

9. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    My Predator has a Kimber ambi safety.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, my Enforcer does not. It was bought at a later date than the Predator. :dunno:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Wow,....Fusion is looking better everyday,........eh, never mind.

11. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

Jun 5, 2009
    USA
    The MIM in Kimbers turned me off; I did not have any parts break, but saw plenty of threads on 1911 forum where the thumb safety (especially ambi) broke. I sold 3 Kimbers that were a year old or less. I did not know about the MIM parts when I bought them, education is expensive.

I can't imagine paying nearly 3,000 or whatever for a Nighthawk and have a Kimber MIM safety on it.

I've done my research this time.

At $1,000 and under Colt is very hard to beat; they have about 4 MIM small parts.

Stepping up:

Dan Wesson Valor has all tool steel small parts and is a comparative bargain; if you took a $1,000 pistol and replaced the MIM with steel it would easily cost as much or more than the Valor. The Valor was my 1st "high end" 1911 acquisition. This has to be the most "bang for buck" for the quality of components (Ed Brown thumb safety). I've been carrying it in a Blade-Tech UCH.

Les Baer no MIM here. I just got my Baer Ultimate Tactical Carry (UTC). I have not shot it yet. The lock up is so tight. I enjoy just looking at it. :drool:
    All Les Baer models are made from the same quality components, the difference is model specific features like sights, or ambi safety.

Last. What's going to be the last one? Wilson CQB or Ed Brown.
    No MIM in either.

I like it that the Ed Brown pistols (Special Forces, Kobra, Executive) are all made from the same parts, only the finishing touches are different, like scallops or cut checkering. The Wilson CQB doesn't have the same "bullet proof" thumb safety (plus another part) as the CQB Elite. I did not like the philsophy of using "better" parts in one model than another. Ed Brown is next and last in my "high end" 1911 collection.

12. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    While not MIM, Brown, Baer and DW use some cast parts

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  13. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    NH is really going downhill from what I've seen lately. Not impressed. For $2900 there should be no MIM on the gun. Don't care if it's "good enough" for some folks, it's a cost cutting measure and there's not excuse for that on a $3000 hand built firearm.

14. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I love both of my NHs, but do agree with this. Springfield shouldn't use MIM on their high end stuff either.

15. Z28ricer

Z28ricer

Aug 4, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    BMW engines surviving with MIM parts, manual trans shift forks,

http://www.pim-international.com/aboutpim/mature

Spacecraft ?

http://www.pim-international.com/aboutpim/intro_aero

Some of you make too much of an issue out of nothing, welcome to technology.

Sometimes, I know its rare, but things progress, manufacturing methods get better, new alloys are created, and then what you keep repeating becomes outdated.

Give it time, they'll just print pistols with closer tolerances than your wilsons and nighthawks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7h09dTVkdw&feature=related

16. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008

Actually, one just has to use half of their brain and realize that sectors such as the Aerospace have significant higher quality control standards and testing than let say..... Kimber.....

It's not a matter of embracing technology. It's a matter of understanding what should be painfully obvious in a apples to oranges comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.