close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Nighthawk Dominator v Ed Brown Executive Elite

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by jjmoberg, Jan 25, 2011.

1. jjmoberg

jjmoberg

Sep 21, 2009
    KC suburb
    So, I am lusting badly after a 1911 after reading everything I can on this site and others for almost a year. First off I currently own only Glocks and Kahrs. I do not shoot competitively and dont plan to. Also I will be carrying concealed with my polymer guns, not this one. This gun will live in my safe and be shot at least twice a month, whenever I go to shoot anything else! So this will be my first, and possibly only for a while, 1911 (though I really want them both). I know myself, and how I will be with 1911s, and I am not really one to start with something cheap, knowing I am going to get something more expensive later. I learned that lesson when I started hunting 10 years ago - just get the good stuff from the start. The cheap boots, clothes, scopes, bows, etc I bought to save money got me nowhere. I wont really want to jack with selling a bunch of guns I dont want anymore, or keep a $600 1911, that I wont shoot anymore after I get a semi custom gun. So please dont everyone tell me to get a Remington R1, a Spartan, or a Desert Eagle, etc for my first 1911. For various reasons, I have eliminated models from Baer (turned off by the tightness), STI (not quite the same quality), Wilson (too expensive IMO), Guncrafter (not enough options), etc as my first purchase. I dont think I will ever be a serious 1911 collector, but I think I will likely end up with one or 2 nice models each, from 3 or 4 few different manufacturers.

So, all that said, which would you choose?

I want an all black/blued gun, but not a polymer coating. Just plain EB bluing (absolutely beautiful, and classic) and full Diamond Black (hopefully as tough as I hear it is) from NHC are what I am looking at. Must haves for me are flat and serrated slide top, flush muzzle crown, and a magwell, which are all factory on the Dominator. I will add a small few other extras to the Brown plus the above stuff (extended mag release,serrate under slide stop, etc). I have priced both and the Dominator is $30 to $80 more depending on exactly how I do the Brown. That is with the full IonBond NHC vs the EB bluing.

All options being equal, I am drawn to EB because he is an hour or so from me and I really like to support local businesses when I can, the bluing is so nice, the gun is so classy, and he has been around for ever making a super smooth 1911.

I was drawn to NHC because so much of what I want comes on the pistol from the factory, and the IonBond is awesome. I have no doubt either coating will last a long times with how I will use the pistol.

I am ordering one of these this summer and cant for the life of me decide which!!

Help!!

Sorry for the long post, but this is an important and expensive decision!!

Jeremy

2. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010

3. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel Beretta 92 Nut!

May 11, 2010
    Hockey City, Texas
    Everyone knows I have a preference towards Brown over NH - so, I gotta say... Go for the brown. Great gun!

4. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Feb 10, 2008
    Me, I'd take the NH since I wasn't impressed with my buddies Special Forces. I don't know what it was but the Brown did nothing for me. Too much hype, IMO.

Know that Brown doesn't blend their magwells, some people don't know this before buying and have a ****fit, which I would too given the cost.

Brown has gotten better on customer service but they are still lacking compared to most of the 1911 builders. Don't expect a call tag issued for shipping.

That said, trying to find one of each is the right answer. Don't let someone's preference make the decision for you. With the amount of $, you want to make sure it's perfect for what you want.

5. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    I prefer Brown...but GJ is correct, get what YOU like best. It's your dime. :thumbsup:

6. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    Ive always liked the looks of NH's way more than EB, and after handling their guns at SHOT, I am even more impressed! Really the only EB i like better is the KC for a carry gun over the T3

7. BlayGlock

BlayGlock

Feb 18, 2010
    Texas
    Nighthawk + Diamond Black > Ed Brown + Blue.

Another +1 for NHC IMO.

I had a blued Brown for a while. Very pretty gun but I prefer NHC styling. Either way you are getting a great 1911.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  8. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I don't care for NH's Perma Kote finish, but the Dominator is a great 1911.

That's a tough choice, but I'd be tempted to go with the Nighthawk. However, I would make the entire gun hard chrome instead of just the frame.

9. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Here's an idea...

Get a Springfield TGO1 for about the same price and you'll have a 1911 better than either of them.

...its better finished too. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    The blue on the Brown will never grow old to your eyes. Add in the fact that they are down the road and resale, makes Brown the obvious choice.

11. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET

Pics of this pistol are always love / hate for me. Love the pistol, hate anything RL...just sayn

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I wouldn't worry about the Leatham part. In fact, the gun even comes with a different set of grips.

I put the TGO clearly ahead of both guns being dicussed here. Its MSRP is higher than either, but the street price is similar to the Nighthawk.

13. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I'm not sure the resale is really any better with the Brown. Maybe slighly. Niether gun really holds value worth a damn.

All the semi-customs are that way.

14. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Feb 10, 2008

If it's an older one I might agree, but if it's a newer SA build I can't. Seeing the issues I've had with SA recently, I think either I'm having horrible luck or they have gone down in quality.

If I'm right about my recent CC's abnormal wear, it will prove it to me. I'm speaking from recent experience, but I'm sure someone will get butt hurt...

How is it "better" finished? Looks?

15. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I agree about the older TGOs being better, as they used Nowlin barrels and no MIM whatsoever. Mine is from 2002, so its about as good as it gets. I'm not sure I agree about any quality issues. I haven't heard any of that before this thread, to be honest.

As far as the finish is concerned, I'll take the TGO's two tone Robar finish (Roguard and NP3) over the NH's or EB's finish.

NH's Perma Kote sucks and the Brown's bluing is not nearly as tough. Robar is just a better finish and, likewise, more expensive if you had them done independently.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  16. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Glock and Tenifer are obviously FAR SUPERIOR to any offering from Springfield Custom or Nighthawk. Jeez. :tongueout:

17. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    :rofl:

18. Actually I like the finish on high points better myself....

19. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Agreed. Bac and GJ are just blah, blah, blahing about obviously inferior products from overpriced 1911 makers.

There is no finer finish than this IMHO. Please notice that the photo was printed backwards....or this is the elusive "Reverse Rollmark" model, highly sought after by true collectors.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011