Glock Talk banner

Nighthawk Dominator v Ed Brown Executive Elite

10K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  GJ1981 
#1 ·
So, I am lusting badly after a 1911 after reading everything I can on this site and others for almost a year. First off I currently own only Glocks and Kahrs. I do not shoot competitively and dont plan to. Also I will be carrying concealed with my polymer guns, not this one. This gun will live in my safe and be shot at least twice a month, whenever I go to shoot anything else! So this will be my first, and possibly only for a while, 1911 (though I really want them both). I know myself, and how I will be with 1911s, and I am not really one to start with something cheap, knowing I am going to get something more expensive later. I learned that lesson when I started hunting 10 years ago - just get the good stuff from the start. The cheap boots, clothes, scopes, bows, etc I bought to save money got me nowhere. I wont really want to jack with selling a bunch of guns I dont want anymore, or keep a $600 1911, that I wont shoot anymore after I get a semi custom gun. So please dont everyone tell me to get a Remington R1, a Spartan, or a Desert Eagle, etc for my first 1911. For various reasons, I have eliminated models from Baer (turned off by the tightness), STI (not quite the same quality), Wilson (too expensive IMO), Guncrafter (not enough options), etc as my first purchase. I dont think I will ever be a serious 1911 collector, but I think I will likely end up with one or 2 nice models each, from 3 or 4 few different manufacturers.

So, all that said, which would you choose?

I want an all black/blued gun, but not a polymer coating. Just plain EB bluing (absolutely beautiful, and classic) and full Diamond Black (hopefully as tough as I hear it is) from NHC are what I am looking at. Must haves for me are flat and serrated slide top, flush muzzle crown, and a magwell, which are all factory on the Dominator. I will add a small few other extras to the Brown plus the above stuff (extended mag release,serrate under slide stop, etc). I have priced both and the Dominator is $30 to $80 more depending on exactly how I do the Brown. That is with the full IonBond NHC vs the EB bluing.

All options being equal, I am drawn to EB because he is an hour or so from me and I really like to support local businesses when I can, the bluing is so nice, the gun is so classy, and he has been around for ever making a super smooth 1911.

I was drawn to NHC because so much of what I want comes on the pistol from the factory, and the IonBond is awesome. I have no doubt either coating will last a long times with how I will use the pistol.

I am ordering one of these this summer and cant for the life of me decide which!!

Help!!

Sorry for the long post, but this is an important and expensive decision!!

Jeremy

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Me, I'd take the NH since I wasn't impressed with my buddies Special Forces. I don't know what it was but the Brown did nothing for me. Too much hype, IMO.

Know that Brown doesn't blend their magwells, some people don't know this before buying and have a ****fit, which I would too given the cost.

Brown has gotten better on customer service but they are still lacking compared to most of the 1911 builders. Don't expect a call tag issued for shipping.

That said, trying to find one of each is the right answer. Don't let someone's preference make the decision for you. With the amount of $, you want to make sure it's perfect for what you want.

#8 · (Edited)
Nighthawk + Diamond Black > Ed Brown + Blue.

Must haves for me are flat and serrated slide top, flush muzzle crown, and a magwell, which are all factory on the Dominator. I
Another +1 for NHC IMO.

I had a blued Brown for a while. Very pretty gun but I prefer NHC styling. Either way you are getting a great 1911.

#15 ·
Get a Springfield TGO1 for about the same price and you'll have a 1911 better than either of them.

...its better finished too. :)

If it's an older one I might agree, but if it's a newer SA build I can't. Seeing the issues I've had with SA recently, I think either I'm having horrible luck or they have gone down in quality.

If I'm right about my recent CC's abnormal wear, it will prove it to me. I'm speaking from recent experience, but I'm sure someone will get butt hurt...

How is it "better" finished? Looks?

#16 · (Edited)
If it's an older one I might agree, but if it's a newer SA build I can't. Seeing the issues I've had with SA recently, I think either I'm having horrible luck or they have gone down in quality.

If I'm right about my recent CC's abnormal wear, it will prove it to me. I'm speaking from recent experience, but I'm sure someone will get butt hurt...

How is it "better" finished? Looks?
I agree about the older TGOs being better, as they used Nowlin barrels and no MIM whatsoever. Mine is from 2002, so its about as good as it gets. I'm not sure I agree about any quality issues. I haven't heard any of that before this thread, to be honest.

As far as the finish is concerned, I'll take the TGO's two tone Robar finish (Roguard and NP3) over the NH's or EB's finish.

NH's Perma Kote sucks and the Brown's bluing is not nearly as tough. Robar is just a better finish and, likewise, more expensive if you had them done independently.

#20 · (Edited)
Actually I like the finish on high points better myself....
Agreed. Bac and GJ are just blah, blah, blahing about obviously inferior products from overpriced 1911 makers.

There is no finer finish than this IMHO. Please notice that the photo was printed backwards....or this is the elusive "Reverse Rollmark" model, highly sought after by true collectors.

#21 ·
OP - i was in the position as you for months and months of agony trying to figure out what i wanted. Like you, I had no reserve about spending the money, I just wanted the right one for me. I was torn between the Brown EE and GC model 1 and the DW Valor. I was lucky enough to find a local shop that had about a dozen from each of the big name semi custom makers and played with them all. All were very nice.

In the end I chose a springfield TRP. While many people here prob just puked, it was what worked for me. No matter what I boight I knew I would end up making some changes/upgrades, just to put my own touch on it. This is what ended up pointing me towards SA. Great customer svc and lots of upgrade options going fwd. It shoots nice holes in the paper and other than an upgraded trigger (one of the first planned changes) no gun from any of the makers would have done any better unless i had used a rest.

#24 · (Edited)
those are stock grips. the older TRP's came with them and the Pro still uses them as standard. They are similar (if not the same) as the Ahrends Combat Checkered grips, which is my preferred grip. The other set of TGO-1 grips are black Micarta grips.

here's my old TRP with standard grips.

#25 · (Edited)
It's like having to choose between Jessica Alba in a red swimsuit or Jessica Alba in a blue swimsuit, you'll be pretty happy either way.
I don't have an Enforcer, just an '06 GRP recon in diamond black. The finish is more resiliant than any of the other spray n bake polymer/teflon/ceramic finishes and I rather like the dullness of it. It's a very well fitted, dependable and accurate pistol as far as I'm able to achieve in my highly caffinated, non bullseye shooting way. It does have an exceptionally crisp 4 1/4lb trigger.

I just picked up this Brown EE finished in gen III. I haven't shot it yet, but I will say that the action is very slick and the trigger is very good.

Browns seem to have aquired a reputation of being something of a dainty flowergirl amongst the more grizzled likes of Baer , NH and Wilson, but comparing it to my other 1911's, I'm not seeing it....it feels fairly manly...

Most of the difference come down to personal preference, ie; I slightly prefer Browns high cut grip safety but I also slightly prefer the feel of the NH's sharper 25lpi checkering over Browns.... I prefer both over Wilson's 30 lpi...you likes might fly the opposite way though.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.