close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

nighthawk 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by crazycathed, Jan 31, 2012.

1. crazycathed

crazycathed

Feb 16, 2009
    cincinnati
    has anyone had experience with any of the nighthawk line? from what I've heard they are excellent pistols. I'm going to purchase 2. 10MM long slide and ladyhawk 9MM. the reviews I've seen say their hand made, trigger pull is light and crisp. the grip is like velcro. rounded edge beveled magwell. I haven't heard any complaints thus far.

2. Ube

Ube

May 5, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Check on the 1911 forums, I don't have any personal experience but did see a couple of high end 1911's go down at a training facility. I shot 1200 breaking mine in at that facility, but the two high end ones that I saw go down went down around 300 rounds.

The problem I saw with one of the high end ones was that the mags had to be manufacturer specific. I watched 3 LEO instructors wrestle a magazine out of one of them.

3. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    This is the Talon II I'd had for 3.5 years now. Other than some initial magazine issues (bad batch of springs) which I resolved using Wilson 47D mags, it's been flawless. Ball, JHP, LSWC, it eats them all without issue. No complaints with it's accuracy either. I can't speak to what they're turning out now, but I have no regrets.

[​IMG]

4. RH45

RH45

May 14, 2003
    Fond du Lac, WI
    It sounds to me like the gun was in slide lock, and the new mag was inserted with too much force.:wow:

5. Ube

Ube

May 5, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The first one had it's linkage separate from the barrel, the second one with the magazine problem was manufacturer's specified and designed mags.

But aren't you supposed to be able to slap a mag in and keep rockin?

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    While I'm not a huge fan of the newer NH's, I like your choices. NH has always been a top notch company, and I'm sure they still make a great gun, yet I like their older models. I still think they make one of the best looking 1911's out there. :cool: You picked 2 GREAT models. :thumbsup:

7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I've had great luck with both of my Nighthawks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    I wouldn't be surprised by the 18 mos lead time. I ordered a FrankenFalcon back in August and was basically advised not to even start checking in on it until August this year. I am in no hurry, so it doesn't bother me any. There were a lot of rumblings about NH late last year, but I agree with Glock2740, they build a great looking pistol and the folks I know who have handled even a couple of the newer ones attested to the fact that the build quality appeared to be there. You did pick two great models. Congrats!

9. BlayGlock

BlayGlock

Feb 18, 2010
    Texas
    Just opt for a finish other than Permacoat and you will be fine.

10. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I don't like the Permacote either.

However, the hard chrome vender is outstanding.

11. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    People here are pretty tired of hearing about my opinions of Nighthawk. I won't re-post my issues, but you can easily find mine (and others) with a little digging.
    I wouldn't touch another Nighthawk. I would go for Wilson, Baer or Springfield Custom if I wanted another expensive 1911.
    Personally, I don't think $3000 1911's should have Kimber parts in them, unless they are made by Kimber.

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Personally I think that a custom made/hand fitted $3000 gun should be perfect. Otherwise, what's the point of buying a "custom made/hand fitted gun by artisans"?

And I don't give a damn what others claim about Nighthawk customer service. Your experience with them was uncalled for.

13. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    Niiiiiice Hawk

14. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks. There were lots of mods to it. They even had to redo the slide since they had checkered the rear of it like the standard one, instead of serrations to match the Heinie Straight-8 sights. Had them leave "Talon II" off the slide too since they were redoing it. Added a couple of extra weeks to my build, which was around 14-16 weeks back then.

15. I had a Nighthawk 10-8 model that was a flawless shooter. I only got rid of it as part of a trade to get a vintage 70's Colt built by Richard Heinie, who oddly enough, collaborates with NH these days.

Mags are not manufacturer specific to a pistol as another poster listed and the mag problem he is talking about was probably the result of a novice slamming an empty mag into the pistol with the slide locked to the rear and the follower rode up over the slide stop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  16. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    Thanks fnfalman.
    The funny thing is that when I posted about my issues with Nighthawk I was PM'd by other Nighthawk owners who had similar experiences.
    They were afraid to go public, because they wanted to be able to send their Nighthawks in for service. But there are still plenty of bad posts about Nighthawk.
    And then there are the people who get offended about negative Nighthawk posts, because it hurts their investment.

I read about the magazine issue. How some people consider it great service, that Nighthawk knew they had a bad batch of magazines, so they kept sending replacements out of the bad batch hoping some would work.
    Come on! These are expensive 1911's. Don't you think a high end company could eat some magazines (or return them to their vendor) and get quality replacements? What if their customers actually use these 1911's for self defense? Should they have to trouble shoot magazines on $3000 1911's?

I ordered mine on the advice of a friend who worked for a gun shop that sold Nighthawk. And Nighthawk treated me very well (other than lying to me about their safety) until they got my money.

And if you go to one of the other 1911 forums, you can read right out of Larry Lyles (Nighthawk Customer Service) mouth where he says they would have fixed my issue, but because of my bad posts I can suck sand.

17. Wow STGO, that sux the experience that you had. I guess over the years I have been pretty fortunate. I have had box stock Colts, Springfields and Kimbers, production customs from Nighthawk, Wilson and Springfield and customs from Dave Erickson, Richard Hieinie, Yost-Bonitz and Jason Burton and never had anything that had to go back to the factory or required any emails or calls with complaints. To date, the only gun that I had problems with was a 9mm Combat Commander back in the mid 80's that went through a couple of extractors before we got it tuned right for reliable extraction. Color me lucky.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  18. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Sep 26, 2007
    NJ/VT
    Nighthawks are top shelf 1911s for sure, never heard anyone complain about them (aside from a few Wilson owners...lol). If I was going to get a 10mm longslide, I would strongly consider a custom build from Fusion Arms. They have been making longslide 10mms for a while and they shoot like a dream. You will also save some extra $$. IMHO. Good luck!

Harry