close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Night sights v black rear with fiber front

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Chris North, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Chris North

Chris North

About to order new sights for my 17.

I was going to get classic night green on green. But I have been told that black rear sights might be better.

So two questions....

1) any reason night sights will not be allowed in GSSF or IDPA?
    2) any truth to the black rear are better than night rear sights?

Thanks for your input.

Chris

Team Random Draw

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

the sights are allowed as long as they're notch and post. i wouldn't use night sights for a competition gun, but a lot of people do.

3. Chris North

Chris North

Do you use stock? Or something else?

Team Random Draw

4. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

1. No

2. I personally like all black rear sights better. For me, when shooting my eyes tend to automatically focus on whatever is brightest. I personally use warren/sevigny w/fiberoptic front sights on my 17 and 34. On my 26 and 21 i have stock glock sights with the factory rear turned backwards so it is all black. I shoot very well with both. In the end its a matter of personal preference and depends on the main purpose of the weapon. Competition/plinking or Self defense.

On a side note, in darkness the fiberoptic front retains no light. If it were a carry or duty weapon, i would at least put a Front night sight on. Ameriglo has many different combinations of night sights. Some of which just have green dots with no white outline on the rear sight( which aren't that noticeable in the daytime.) Paired with a green/white front or an orange/green front night site.

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets
    http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHT+SETS:Glock+Sight+Sets

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I use Warren/Sevignys... all black front and rear. This is a straight out competition sight.

My shooting buddies use similar setup with fiber optic fronts, but all black rears.

6. mike g35

mike g35

I use an all black rear adjustable and fiber optic front (100w or 125w depending on the model of pistol and whats its intended for) from Dawson Precision. They work great for me. You eye will focus on the brightest part of your sight naturally so using the rear night sight in my opinion would be counter intuitive. There are more factors to consider obviously, but if I were shooting any kind of pistol in competition I would have to keep my Dawson sights on it.
    Have you considered an adjustable rear sight? They are just as good as non-adjustables but with the added convienience of being easy to fine tune.
    I blacked out my front fiber optic sight with some black tape last time I was at the range and I didn't like that set-up at all, but thats just me. Alot of shooters use the black fronts or painted fronts but the fiber optics are the brightest and some say they are the quickest as well.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  7. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i use a fixed Heinie rear filed to around .175" and a .090" plain AmeriGlo front for GSSF and Action Pistol. I've tried FO fronts and they didn't work very well for me. I have FOs on my Steel and USPSA guns.

8. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

My current GSSF set ups are f/o front and black rear. I woudn't have a problem shooting the night sights, it is just that these guns are only used in competition and the ns would seem a waste.

With good eyes, and front sight focus, the rear sights shouldn't be a problem, but those factory "U" rear sights are bright when shooting inartifical light.

If you are gonna use the gun for carry AND comp, why not try a ns front and a carrycomp rear? That setup works great on my 27.

9. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

This is what I did to my G17 and G34, taking from this thread in Brian Enos forum.

It has helped a great deal.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124689&st=25&p=1513036&#entry1513036

I really like the Warren/Sevigny Comp Sights.

They are the first 3 pics.

I painted the seriated front with Lime Green Pen Paint from Hobby Lobby.

On my Carry G27, I use the night sight combo from Ameriglo here: The GL-433

http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/special-combinations

The last pic.

Greg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  10. VOLGRAD

VOLGRAD

It's good to ask for opinions but you will really have to try a bunch of different setups to find what works best for you. I have tried a bunch of different options before settling on what I like .... but what I like might not work for you and vice versa.