Night Sight Recommendations

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by lmlures, Jul 7, 2013.

1. I got an XS big dot sight for my 27, it came with all the tools I needed. A front sight tool and a plastic punch for the rear plus some red loctite. Had no problems doing the install myself.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Installed my meprolight sites on my G26. It shoots fine. They are super bright. I bought the adjustable sights

3. Chuck

Millennium Member

If your going to put the night sights on yourself, then buy the right tools. I have a glock rear sight tool, along with a proper tool for front sight. Here is the advantage. I can bring the rear sight tool to the range and zero the gun in, which I have done.
    Plus I can remove or change the sights whenever I want. Well worth the money.

4. Be a man, use a hammer and a wedge of wood. That's how I put mine on. ;)

Took it to the range and did it on the spot

#24 1983weatherby, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  5. Chuck

Millennium Member

You forgot to put it in a vice and crank it down. You end up with some new slide serrations. A different look too.:supergrin:

6. Thats good to know. Thanks.

7. I bought the MGW tool and love it. If you are just doing
    a couple of guns it is probably cheaper to have the shop
    where you buy the sights install them.

8. honestly I have never seen sights in a store cheaper than online

9. I've installed my own sights using 9" rubber jaw channel locks and my precision nut setters, a quick clamp, and block of wood.

But then again, I already own those tools

10. Trigicon Tough & Bright Novak sights.
    Get the green ones, your eyes pickup on the bright green color faster than any other color.

Or Meprolights
    Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#30 "Cold Dead Hands" !, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  11. How do you like the xs sights. I am looking into them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

12. Thanks for all the input. I am checking with a guy tomorrow at a local shop. If he does it at no/low cost if I get the sights from him I plan to have him do it. If not then I am going to purchase the tools needed and do it myself.
    thanks

13. So which sights are you planning on going with?

14. Prometheus77

Prometheus77 GOA - RWVA

I have all different types. The Mepros are the brightest right out of the box. At least in my experience.

I used a hammer and steel punch to install the mepros on my EDC about 8 years ago. Bent a steel punch, lol.

Those things are built like a tank.

All my other night sights were factory or I had them installed. Usually you can catch a deal where getting someone else to do it (with their own stock) will wind up running close to the cost of the sights anyway.

15. Monster - I am planning on going with the Trijicon.

16. I recently also was on a quest for some night sights. A friend of mine suggested I check out the Aro-Tek sights.
    They may be made by Trijcon or at least I know they use Trijcon "lights" as their name are stamped on the sights.
    Anyway I recently purchased a yellow two dot rear with a green dot front for my Glock 21. The front sight also has the night glow stick surrounded by a day glow ring. Lower profile than most and all metal, no plastic.
    once you remove the old sights carefully with a hammer and punch these install with a wedge and screws and a pusher is not needed.
    They work great and I got them for around a hundred bucks delivered from the company direct.
    Check them out on line. http://www.arotek.com/

17. I've installed a good number of sights on 1911s, and the Glock slides/sights are easier to work on by far.

Get ye a vise, mounted on a sturdy table/bench; a small hammer; and a set of punches. Choose ye with care the punch material; use steel as a last resort or maybe when punching out a staked front sight; brass or nylon tend to mar little to none; nylon might not be strong enough; brass works the best for me for most guns/sights; also use masking tape to protect the sight when using hammer/punch.

Apply masking tape liberally to vise where the slide will touch it, and also to the slide of ye desire extra protection.

Develop the feel/touch for how hard to hammer, knowledge of which direction to hammer off and on, which Loctite ye shall use.

Remember to clean dovetails and sight bases with alcohol, or your favorite degreaser.

Dave Dawson's sight replacement videos are great; they sure did help me. Maybe ye too.

#37 GunBugBit, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  18. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

I like both Speed Sites and Ameriglo iDot Pro sites. Use a $60 sight pusher with good results. Make sure whatever sites you choose are compatible with your holsters.

19. Rear sights have to be FITTED and not pounded in like a gorilla as you will FUBAR the dovetail, sight or both. :wavey:

The Dawson Precision vid covers this. It is far easier to use a "blind" dovetail file on the sights (not the gun dovetail) but no one makes a 74 degree one that Glocks require that I know of.

20. Okay folks, I’ve never attempted to install sights before and I’ve been lurking around these forums for some time now trying to figure out if I should use a punch or a sight pusher to replace the sights on a few of my Glocks. I’ve concluded that using a sight pusher would be the best for me.

However, I do have a concern, or question, that I hope someone here can clear up for me. From what I’ve been reading, except for one vendor, I can either buy a sight pusher that can only be used to install rear sights with a slanted edge OR I can buy a sight pusher that can only be used to install rear sights with a straight(vertical) edge.

From looking at their web site, it ‘appears’ that Sightpusher.com does sell a sight pusher that can be used to install either type of rear sights on a Glock(slanted or straight).

Am I correct? Are there any/many other vendors who sell sight pushers that will install both types of rear sights on a Glock?

By the way, I found the Sightpusher.com web site on this forum.