Night Sight Recommendations

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by lmlures, Jul 7, 2013.

1. I plan on purchasing night sights for my 26 and my son's 19 and have a question. Is the install something I should do myself or should I have a gunsmith take care of it. As I understand it I would need to purchase a tool for the process but many things look much easier on YouTube than they prove to be.
    Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Easiest to have a shop or smith install them properly. Unless you plan on changing sights regularly, buying a pusher is prohibitive. Hammering them in can damage the finish and I've even seen someone crack the tritium tube. Many shops will install for free if you buy them there or for a small fee if not.

3. You can do it yourself.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maCQhEIjoA"]Installing Glock Sights with Dave Dawson - YouTube[/ame]

4. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

With a pusher, the job is easy. A pusher need not be expensive -- see http://www.sightpusher.com/ . Most manufacturers warn that using a drift to install their night sights will void the warranty, and might well break the glass vials of radioactive tritium gas; cracks in the vials might not be immediately apparent, but why take such a chance. The pusher will last you a lifetime and allow you to purchase the sights at discount online, take it with you to the range to sight-in, and avoid the damages often reported here as having been caused by installers at the LGS. Often a "free" installation accompanies a retail price higher than available elsewhere (online), so it really isn't free.

5. I'm with getting a pusher and doing it yourself.

6. Tazz10m

Tazz10m Mod Aerator
    Moderator Millennium Member

I've used both Trijicon and Ameriglo and i like them both. They have both stood the test of time and use. As for installing them, i've done it several times without the proper installation tool, and with no problems, but, what i did was 'pad' the sight and the slide so that the shock of the impacts were taken out. But that's me. I would HIGHLY recommend you use a sight pushing tool instead.

7. Get a pusher and do it yourself. It will also enable you to make your own adjustments if necessary.

8. MNOD Glocker

MNOD Glocker always around

My dad and I regularly put night sights on our Glocks and on some handguns for friends. I would suggest purchasing a sight pusher (don't forget to get the tool to remove and replace the front sight as well) and do it yourself.

Trijicon night sights are by far a favorite of many people that I know, but Ameriglo, and Meprolight make excellent ones as well.

9. If I can do it so can you....get the sight pusher

10. Tazz10m

Tazz10m Mod Aerator
    Moderator Millennium Member

I'm pretty sure Ameriglo's have the tritium capsules installed by Trijicon, but i could be wrong. Meprolight's, unless they have changed, don't have the same aluminum tube and synthetic saphire lens construction as Trijicon and Ameriglo and, as far as i know, the tritium capsules are not installed by Trijicon. Meps aren't bad sights, i just don't think they are as good. There are some other sights with a tritium/fiber optic combo that i've been tempted to try.... suckers... they beat me to my own idea!

11. You are correct.

12. This is what I bought and between myself and a friend, we have put on 10 sets of sights, Although it did the job, I wish I had paid alittle more for a better pusher. This thing wants to move the Slide and it makes it hard to fine adjust. Although I haven't used another brand, there has to be something a little better. Bottom line, it will work and every site manufacture install with different difficulties :dunno:

13. I bought the MGW pusher back when they were around $54 from Brownells and have done installs on at least a dozen Glocks for myself, family, and friends. It was definitely worth the $.

You'll probably also need a front sight tool as most socket drivers won't work/fit without modification.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. buy anything on optics planet that you might need and get a 10% discount on next purchase of $50 or more.
    just got a set of meprolights for my glock for $73 shipped and had them installed by a gunsmith for $20
    $93 total investment ... i'm a happy camper!

15. You can do it yourself but, most gunsmiths will do it for free if you buy the sights from them. If not free it should only be a few bucks. If you think you might want to do sights for a number of pistols then invest in some tools. Sight pusher ~$100 and front sight tool <$20 unless you buy the Glock tool(s) which are ~$140 and ~$40 respectively.

If you haven't decided on sights yet, make sure to check out the Trijicon HD. They are my favorite.

16. I recommend this:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ID3APA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Wiha 26576 Nut Driver With Precision Soft PicoFinish Handle, Inch, 3/16 x 60mm: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21qFX%2B-FY7L.@@AMEPARAM@@21qFX%2B-FY7L[/ame]

17. I can only surmise that Dawson doesn't want to tell people they'll need the proper tool (which costs a few bucks) to install his sights after already spending several bucks on his sights.

I don't need or use a hammer on any other parts of my or my customer's Glocks, and wouldn't use one for sights.

18. MNOD Glocker

MNOD Glocker always around