close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Nice video busting an age old shotgun myth...

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by dosei, Apr 22, 2010.

1. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    Myth:
    "You don't have to aim shotguns, just point them in the general direction and you'll hit the target."

I hear this line of bs so often...and on the bs meter it ranks right in there with "if you hit them anywhere with (insert any of several calibers with a loyal kool-aid chugging following) they are going to go down and not get back up".

Today I came across a nice little video on this exact myth...enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR5K3DrD4Lk

2. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    I am NOT a shotgun "shooter" so this was very interesting to me.

3. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Jan 16, 2010
    Hickok45 needs to come around here more.... Waaaay to many "expert" thread-combatants need to be schooled. Me, I don't know sheeit about sheeit, but I know how to learn from the learned ones.

4. boozer

boozer

Jul 24, 2007
    Hilltop, USA
    Dang, can you imagine giving an "Al-Queida Terrorist in your bedroom" three rounds of 12 gauge center of mass?

I'd hate to have to clean that up.

My HD 870 holds seven rounds, I bet I can get most of them on target.

5. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne

Feb 19, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Yes he does.

And for those who haven't seen his other videos ... let me just say this. You do NOT want to get in a long range handgun match with him!

Finally, I am soooo jealous of his backyard gun range. Awesome!

Cheers.

6. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Feb 18, 2010
    GA&WY
    lol, long range and handgun don't go good together...

7. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
  8. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne

Feb 19, 2009
    DFW, TX

Well, I guess that does depend on your definition of "long range", but if you watch his videos, I think you'll admit he's a pretty fine handgun shooter.

9. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    Ahhh...the proliferation of myths shall never cease...
    This is a tangent from the thread topic, but...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RURFEGd8

The only real limit on a handgun's range is it's ballistics...it has to have enough velocity when it reaches the target to inflict the desired damage to the target. And that same limit exists on rifles. Most rifles have greater velocities and thus greater range. There are plenty of handguns that are effective out to 200 yards, and in some cases well beyond. Distance shooting with a handgun is delightfully challenging and also good practice (as most things that challenge and push your skills are).

10. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    I shoot USPSA 3-Gun every month and there are plenty of misses with the shotgun. I run the match and on one stage it was 24 shot minimum (to include a texas star) and I only allowed the shooter to carry 25 shells on them. There where plenty of misses recorded on that stage.

11. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    If it is true that all you need to do is shoot in the general direction and you will hit everything with a shotgun, then why do I miss so many clay birds?:whistling:

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    I am NOT saying you do not need to aim a shotgun - that would be dumb -

But I think I know where this comes from - at least for me.

I have been shooting a shotgun for a long time - ducks - pheasant - doves - and clay targets - if you shoot long enough you don't really aim - it just comes as a natural reflex -

I am pretty darn sure I can hit a man size target COM at 15 feet with my Remington 870 buy just pulling up and shooting -

I can hit a clay target 85-90% of the time at 30 yards while it is flying in the air -moving fast.

I practice this - point shooting with a handgun also - and at close range can hit the target most of the time - but it is way easier to do it with a long gun - it is just a natural thing.

The best example I can think of is if you play a sport like baseball - when you first start to play catch in the spring you have to think a little bit about where you are going to throw if you want to hit your target - but after a few weeks of playing catch you can just fire the ball right where you want without giving it any conscious thought.

:dunno:

Still think taking the extra nano second to get a well placed shot is a good idea -

13. stgha

stgha

Aug 26, 2007
    Pataskala OH
    I LOVE that guy (in a non-homosexual way). I hope to have a setup like his in my later years.....

14. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

Jul 22, 2001
    Central Oregon
    Wouldn't it be good if he at least shot some rounds from the hip to dis-spell that myth.

15. rscottk90

rscottk90

Mar 11, 2010
    I wish he had said something about chokes, ect. If you have a full turkey choke in the gun u can get a pattern like his at 60 yrds

16. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Aug 21, 2006
    Just OK
    I agree. And how about only one shot with a good examination of the target.