Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Nice article

Discussion in 'Glockers of the Old Dominion' started by vafish, Jul 24, 2007.

1. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Here is the article...
    That is fantastic, sir!!

2. I do need to clarify,

I am one of the coaches with the program (her dad is also a coach). I'm not taking credit for all of Beth's hard work and accomplishments.
  3. That's cool, I graduated from Woodson in 2002, didn't have a shooting program when I was there. Where do yall practice and how much flak does admin give yall?
  4. I'm a coach with the Acorns team. (and hopefully will be starting a rifle team at my daughters high school this year)

The Woodson team was started 2 years ago.

There is a Potomac High School Rifle League (covers NoVa, DC, and MD) that was down to 4 clubs shooting small bore, they are slowly switching over to air rifle and the number of clubs is climbing. (IIRC we have 10, maybe 11 schools this year shooting air and 6 shooting small bore).

The Woodson team really started because 5 members of the Arlington Optimist Acorns JRC went to school there and decided to start the team. Their first year in existence they beat the Robinson team. Robinson had been winning the high school league for the last 20 years.

The kids practice small bore at the NRA range and air rifle at the Izaak Walton League in Centreville.

As for the amount of flack from the admins at the schools, it's not too bad. Robinson and a couple other schools have had rifle programs for many years. The county activities directory used to be the athletic director at Robinson so he's familiar with the program. Rifle shooting is a state athletic association approved activity, it's a county approved activity, so the school officials really can't complain too much. They don't throw any support or money into the program, it's a "Club" sport so the shooters have to provide everything themselves.

The one big hassle with the schools is that they won't let us shoot the air rifles in the school because the pellets are lead. We've tested some of the non-lead pellets and they just don't have the accuracy of the lead ones.