close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NIB G38, WWB squib, LEO stop, in 1 day

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ADK_40GLKr, Sep 19, 2012.

1. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr
    Expand Collapse
    1. Christian Studies

I'm going to be accused of "creative fiction writing" or worse, but this all happened within one 4 hour period - unbelieveable but I kid you not!

Called my LGS this afternoon, and they said my new G38 had come in, so I stopped at WalMart and they had 2 boxes of WWB .45GAP (not in the ammo case, but under the counter at the sporting goods desk.) I figured I was lucky to find them at about $34 a box.

Then stopped by the LGS, did the paperwork and picked up the gun.

Got to Gun CLub and I was showing a buddy the new Glock. We set up an old IDPA target. I fired 3 shots & he fired 4 and handed it back to me. I fired #8, the case caught me mid forehead, the magazine popped out of the gun and the slide locked up tight.

After 3 of us monkeyed with it a bit, I decided to to get back to my LGS before they closed at 8 PM. On the way, I was stopped by police. (Honestly, I never saw who it was because the lights were blinding.) First reached up to the visor for the case with my license copies, but when the LEO delayed, I dug my wallet out of my hip pocket, set it on the dash and put my hands back on the steering wheel in plain sight. He finally showed up, and asked where I'd been and where I was going.

I showed him the drivers and pistol licenses, said my brand new .45GAP had malfunctioned at the gun club and I was trying to get to (LGS) before they closed.

"OK, but do me a favor and slow it down." He said he'd clocked me at 71 in a 55 mile zone. I thanked him, proceded slowly, and still got to LGS on time.

The barrel was bulged enough to lock up the slide. You could see the barrel was dirty half way where the 2nd round had partially burned and then was clean in the front half. There were no bullets stuck in the barrel. I had all 8 ejected brass, and one was very sooty.

SQUIB! NOT a good afternoon! What a disappointment!

Going to call Glock when I get off work tomorrow and ask them for a postpaid shipping box, and will send the Glock, mags, spent brass and WWB lot # to Smyrna. Let them hash it out with Winchester!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 ADK_40GLKr, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg
    Expand Collapse

I got a ticket doing 82 in a 70 while passing an 18 wheeler a few weeks ago. No warning.

I can't believe he let you go with just a warning!

Sent from my iPhone 4s

#2 RyanBDawg, Sep 19, 2012
  3. Shark1007

Shark1007
    Expand Collapse

I had an issue with WWB hollow points being too tight in the chamber. Switched ammo brands and no problem. Mine was with a 39. I had to drive the casing out from the end.

4. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

What a crappy first outing with the new gun. Winchester QC strikes again. Hopefully it only takes a week or two to get the replacement 38 back.:wavey:

5. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr
    Expand Collapse
    1. Christian Studies

Assumed at the time it was NYS Police. I mentioned the caliber because that's what THEY carry, but it might have been local sheriff.

Blinded by the lights, I was speaking to a faceless voice, and was quite unnerved. I'd rehearsed the scenario with the license copies, but figured a straight answer was my best one.

I could hardly believe what I was hearing myself, but thanked him and drove away, s l o w l y.

6. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to hear about the WWB/ammo issue on the new G38. Happy to hear that you were able to save some money, largely in part to the LEO. You can use that to put toward a G39 to hold you until your G38 arrives back from Glock.

I haven't had any issues with Speer Lawman and Gold Dot, which is what I use to break in anything new. The LM runs about $20.99/box of 50 in these parts, and I think that the 200 gr. Gold Dots run about $30/box of 50.

I load my own ammo, and have had excellent results from Hornady 185 gr. XTP over Power Pistol for .45GAP.

7. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse
    Isaiah 53:4-9

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlBifX0H3yg"]Blinded by the Light ~ Manfred Mann's Earth Band with lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

8. AKR

AKR
    Expand Collapse
    GAP'r

9. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr
    Expand Collapse
    1. Christian Studies

Thanks! Sounds like a winner!

Of the thousands of rounds I've fired, my only squib has to be on a brand-new gun!

I guess I'm very lucky it wasn't worse, but the Glock did it's job and protected me!

#9 ADK_40GLKr, Sep 19, 2012
  10. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

Adk Glkr

Terrible news on the Glock but quite lucky with the stop.
    I have sworn off of anything with the winchester name most especially ammunition,even rim fires. Their quality control has become non existent over the last ten years or so.
    I won't even buy reloading components produced by them anymore, it's gotten that bad.
    I'm sure that between Glock and them you will come out ok but you may find yourself shooting it come spring. Wishing you all the Luck SJ 40

#10 SJ 40, Sep 19, 2012
  11. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo
    Expand Collapse

Uh, Glock can't help you here just yet, chief. It's an AMMO problem and you need to call Winchester. :wavey: You wouldn't call GM because you bought bad gas.

12. Glock40man

Glock40man
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to hear about this. I'd be calling Winchester.

13. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr
    Expand Collapse
    1. Christian Studies

So you'd take your Chevy back to the 7-11 to fix the problem their gas caused?

I need a new Glock, not a new box of WWB!

14. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

Unpossible. GT has taught me that in order to arrive at my destination on time I need to drive fast in the left lane and honk my horn and flash my lights at anyone who is impeding my progress.:supergrin:

Glad you didn't suffer any injuries from the squib.

#14 eracer, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  15. Thx-1138

Thx-1138
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

The only problem I've ever had with my G39 was a WWB Round that wouldn't fully seat in the chamber.

I avoid Winchester ammo now.

16. ghostrider88

ghostrider88
    Expand Collapse

Man talk about "RAINING ON YOUR PARADE" that stinks

17. mo.glocker

mo.glocker
    Expand Collapse

adk,you need to tell glock you shot only 7 times ,and you want a new g38,if they give you just a new barrel the sn wont match(since glock has to stamp serials all over the pistol)-jeff:faint:

18. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo
    Expand Collapse

The question is who is responsible & who is going to pay to fix the Glock. Chevy won't pay for the repair for bad gas. The gas co. will.

Bad ammo = Winchester's fault, i.e., their liability. Glock will want you to contact Win. first most likely.

Duh! :upeyes: :wavey:

19. spcwes

spcwes
    Expand Collapse

Glock will help him on this, please stop feeding him misinformation. Your logic is sound but Glock will want to have first hands on this issue, trust me... :shocked: ...im a professional. :supergrin:

20. Hognutz

Hognutz
    Expand Collapse

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" :faint: