Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

NFA question thats probably been asked before.

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Taykaim, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Taykaim

Taykaim NRA Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I've got a pretty nice lower that's never been part of a rifle.

Its a "caliber multi" as far as its marked.

I bought it new and partially assembled, guy didn't have an upper for it yet.

Those 8" 300 Blackout rifles are calling my name, but before I embark into NFA land I was wondering if anyone knows for sure the way I can tell if this lower can be legally built into a pistol.

Does it have to be marked as a pistol?

I've tried asking the local gunshop commandos, since they actually sell suppressors and other NFA items and gotten conflicting answers. My understanding is that a pistol can become a rifle (via SBR or really long barreled pistol) but going back again is less easy. So it boils down to, is this stripped AR lower somehow already a rifle or pistol?

I have no interest in playing in the gray area here, so I am just wondering if it will be legal to build the lower into a pistol instead of a rifle as I originally planned.

If this is illegal I'll probably either scrap the idea or go with a 16".
  2. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Oct 1, 2003
    I've heard it both ways... if you put a stock on it, it's a rifle, and then I have heard it must have had a barreled action on it to call it a rifle.

the 4473 should say "receiver". and you should be ok. If it says "rifle" you're stuck as a rifle.

I have my pistol lower actually listed as a pistol on the 4473, even though I purchased it as a stripped lower. This CLEARLY shows my intent on how to assemble it.

3. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The lower doesn't have to be marked pistol or anything particular. I bought a stripped lower and it was just marked with the caliber and it was registered as a pistol.

As far as the other part... I have heard it both ways too that as soon as a stock is on it, it's a rifle forever but I have also heard that until it is a functioning firearm with an action and barrel that makes it capable of firing, it's not anything. Who knows.
  4. double.tap

Apr 9, 2011
    it needs to be assembled as a complete rifle and once assembled, it can never be a pistol without NFA. a lower with a buttstock is nothing. a lower with an upper and no stock is nothing either.

+1 check the wording on your paperwork. if the guy wrote rifle reciever, i would not make it a pistol (it says rifle, and you cannot prove you never assembled it). if it was registered as just a reciever or pistol reciever, then you are fine so long as its never been assembled as a rifle.

if you really arent sure, just buy another lower. they are only 80$ and you can specifically have this one registered as a pistol and know you are good to go.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Good to know, thanks!!