close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NFA Form 4 Wait Times

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by PlasticGuy, Apr 20, 2012.

1. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

I finally got my approval back yesterday on my Surefire 5.56 and 7.62 cans, after 7 1/2 months. It's stupid that I should have to wait that long, but it was worth it. Just a heads up for anybody still waiting.

Mailed August 30, 2011

Approval received April 18, 2012

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. xXGearheadXx

xXGearheadXx
    Expand Collapse

yeah it's getting ridiculous. I dropped my paperwork for a form1 off at the 24th of January(a tuesday). Chief LEO had it back to me that Friday. ATF received it on the 31st of January (i had delivery confirmation on the envelope) and it didn't go pending until the 8th of March...given their lead times are around 6 months, 2 weeks from pending it looks like i'll be waiting a while. I was hoping to have my suppressor (bought at the beginning of this month) by Christmas but i don't see it happening.

3. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

You won't have it by Thanksgiving, but you might have it by Christmas. It just depends on whether they continue to get more backed up. If they can hold the current wait times, you should be okay. If not...

4. r2kba

r2kba
    Expand Collapse
    Relax

Government likes to spread the misery equally. And IMO this 6 month time frame is intentional.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45
    Expand Collapse

I agree. They are keeping the number of employees low to intentionally make us wait. Just like the tax stamp itself, they want to discourage us.

6. glockaviator

glockaviator
    Expand Collapse

It does make you wonder just what the ATF was doing for that many months. Obviously, they aren't like calling around, investigating the applicant, doing a background check all that time. They probably just use the FBI background check, and if you can buy a gun you get ok'd. And an FBI background check can typically be done in less than a day.

Does anyone that passes the FBI check to buy a firearm fail the ATF check to buy a supressor?

I dunno.

7. Firecop203

Firecop203
    Expand Collapse

The Internet has caused an NFA explosion. I never knew anything about any of the NFA stuff till I got the internet. By then, it was already after 1986 and prices were rising. Now that the word is out, everyone wants to play the NFA game in one form or another. One sign of progress is that Alabama changed their law to allow SBR's. I'm sure that the date that became effective the wave of paperwork flooded the BATFE examiners.

8. Bravo 1

Bravo 1
    Expand Collapse
    Serious Infidel
    CLM

Well, it is the same fee as it was in 1934.

And those dollars were worth alot more than the current fiat currency.

So maybe, if everybody complains enough they will update the fee to todays dollar.