close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Next gun- .40 or .45?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ashecht, Jan 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ashecht

ashecht

I have a g23,g19,,g26 and beretta 92fs. Was all set to go with a g30 as my next gun. Then the thought of maintaining 3 different caliber ammo stashes hit me. Now I am thinking a g27 or a G22 as a more sensible purchase, since I could stick with my current two piles of ammo. Ideas/opinions ?

2. moishlashen

moishlashen Senile Member

I was .40 and 9mm for a long time. Then I shot a G30 and had to have it. Then for some reason I picked up a GAP at a good price and a coupla of 357Sig barrels for my .40s and overnight I'm maintaining 5 calibers of ammo stock. I like it though and its not too big of a PITA. For me personally a .45acp Glock is a must and 3 calibers isn't too bad to maintain so I'd say go for it.

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

I would go for the .45.

4. DubfromGA

DubfromGA

Keep 9mm...

Drop .40 S&W......

Add .45acp.

I've had Glocks in each of those plus 10mm. The G30 is the only one I want now. Best Glock I've ever owned.

5. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Shoot both. Keep the one that makes you happiest.

6. Buckshot John

Buckshot John

If it were me I would have to say get the 45 acp. I have a G27 and G35 myself and just recently purchased a LWD barrel so I could shoot 9mm out of my 35. For me its just a different feeling shooting my 45 which is a springfield xdm. It can be a pain sometimes keeping up with the different calibers of ammo but it just gives me more choice when I want to go to the range. If I could do it all over again I would buy a glock 30 as I would like a smaller package 45 than my springer.

7. Tank44

Tank44 Tank44

From the looks of your collection in your sig line, you are in bad need of a 1911 in .45acp.

8. Glock Authority

Glock Authority

I would go for the .45 for sure.

9. KJ4GR

KJ4GR

+1

Ammo for 9mm is cheap. Ammo for 40 is only about $1 a box of 50 cheaper than 45 so I would just have 9mm & 45acp.

10. ChrisYZFR1

ChrisYZFR1

it is good to have all calibers in my opinion. When 45 goes on sale I buy a **** ton of it as I do with all other calibers. I would suggest the G30 to anyone..

11. zgunner

zgunner

I've been thinking of getting a .45 glock. Why does it seem like most of you like the G30 more than the G21. Just curious

12. tango44

tango44

Get a G21 and get rido of the .40 and 92FS.

13. 1911master

1911master

GAP all the way. 37,.38, or 39 all will do just fine.

14. Jokerpro

Jokerpro

Glock 30SF for sure!

15. MattyIce

MattyIce

I had the same questions a couple years ago. I was a 9MM only kinda guy, the 9MM was cheap, gave you more rounds, and with the right load JHP was still plenty of knockdown power. However, I all of the sudden got a real desire to buy a 1911 which obviously is .45 ACP. I was worried about keeping up with 9MM and .45 ACP, as well the .223 Rem for my AR-15. I was at my LSG and the gentleman there put it to me this way: Though it can be a pain keeping different ammo types, if the stuff ever really hits the fan, you may not have a choice of which ammo you want. You may have to take whatever is available. In this sense, having multiple calibers makes you more flexible. While this gentleman's take is a little paranoid, it does at least make sense. Plus, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of being able to "change it up" at the range. I now have 9MM, .40 S&W, and .45ACP; and that's just the handguns.

16. Check my Gat

Check my Gat

I have pistols, Glock and otherwise, in 10mm, .45, .40 and 9mm.

Of all of them .40 seems to have little practical benefit over the other two "big three" calibers and is the loudest/snappiest which I don't dig.

17. mcflyfyter

mcflyfyter

+1

These are intelligent individuals.

18. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

That's a difficult question. All three calibers are great and all three have their advantages and disadvantages. Get a forty I have one too!.... j/k. I like them all.

My favorite caliber is the forty because it has a more punch and a greater expansion than the 9mm. Disadvantages: more expensive and less magazine capacity compared to 9mm.

A forty five is of course a awesome classic caliber. But, it's a outdated caliber in my mind. The impact energy of good defensive ammo is equal between the .40 and the 45. it's also more expensive to shoot and you get less mag capacity with the 45.

The .40 is an excellent compromise in price and damage IMO. Some will say the 10mm or the Sig is the best compromise between 9mm and the 45. But not for me because I don't like a rather rare caliber.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  19. ratf51

ratf51

Add the .45. Regardless of what you shoot most it gives you the ability to shoot a caliber that you currently do not have. I have a G22, a 1911, and a S&W 686-- .40, .45, and .357/.38spec. I will eventually add a 9mm of some sort simply to have the caliber available to me. And it seems as though I always read glowing reports of the G30. Ammo flexibility can be a good thing.

20. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

OP, you can't go wrong with the 22 or 23, but the Glock .45s are just a miracle of accuracy and comfort. Get either the 30 or 21 depending on your intended use. Then watch how dang accurate these guns are.