close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Newby Question about Eotech

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by glock031, Jan 9, 2011.

1. glock031

glock031
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys i just got a decent deal on a eotech 516. Total cost was 398.05 with free shipping after the 5% off at optics planet. This is my first red dot. Im mounting it on a colt 6920 carbine. When im lining up dot on the target do i need to always align the dot with front sight? Use just like the dot is serving as a rear sight?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. glock22357

glock22357
    Expand Collapse
    Got Ammo???

You don't need to use your front or rear sight at all. An EOtech is a weapon sight all by itself. Once you have it sighted in, that red dot is where the round is going.

3. glock031

glock031
    Expand Collapse

Kinda like a self leveling system built in it? I know i should try to hold the rifle level. So your saying there's no "tilt"? That's interesting...

4. MisterPX

MisterPX
    Expand Collapse

When using the red dot, IGNORE the iron sights.

5. glock22357

glock22357
    Expand Collapse
    Got Ammo???

I'm not sure what you mean by tilt.

You'll notice that the circle and dot move around within the sighting window as you move your rifle around. That dot is always lined up the way it's sighted in. You don't need any iron sights at all, you can just use your Eotech.

These types of sights (HWSs and RDSs, as well as scopes) are the reason for flat-top, no iron sight rifles. Did you get an owners manual with your EOtech? That would be a good place to start.

6. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

Wherever the dot is when you pull the trigger is where the bullet is going. It doesn't matter where the dot is in the window or how you have the gun positioned. Ignore the iron sites, they don't matter a bit when using the dot.

7. Braden

Braden
    Expand Collapse

Well, not entirely. By simply moving my head/cheek on the stock I can make that red dot move just about anywhere in the glass I want it to go without ever changing the direction the rifle is pointing. You still have to have consistent cheek placement after you sight it in.

8. glock22357

glock22357
    Expand Collapse
    Got Ammo???

What point of mine are you disagreeing with?

Where that red dot is in the glass doesn't matter, wherever that dot is is where the rifle is pointed. You don't even need to have your cheek on the rifle if you don't want to.

9. Braden

Braden
    Expand Collapse

Nevermind. I'm new to the red dot thing and didn't know what I was talking about. What everyone else said. Iron sights, cheek placement...none of it matters.

10. glock031

glock031
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys. Yea i read the entire owners manual word by word. Wasn't really much 'use' info in there. The owners manual that came with my 516 is made for the model 557 ar223, with a seperate card stating the differences between the two models.

My questions were answered on this topic for POA. - Thxs

11. glock22357

glock22357
    Expand Collapse
    Got Ammo???

Welcome to the wonderful world of Eotechs....I love mine.

Some other people like Aimpoints with their paltry 2 or 4 MOA, but real men must have 1MOA, and a Holographic Weapon Sight, not a measly Red Dot Sight.:rofl::rofl:

12. Captains1911

Captains1911
    Expand Collapse

I guess that means that "real men" also prefer an unreliable battery draining optic...

#12 Captains1911, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  13. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor

Remember, keep both eyes open as well. I have a 512 and like it.

14. glock22357

glock22357
    Expand Collapse
    Got Ammo???

Mine does not have that issue. I have not heard a 1st hand account of that issue. Care to share?

15. Captains1911

Captains1911
    Expand Collapse

It is a very common issue with EOTechs, look around a little and you will find many many accounts. I had a 512 that I would put fresh batteries in, turn off, and 2 months later the batteries were dead. It's ashame because I do prefer the EOTech reticle.

It's even mentioned several times in this thread http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1299075

#15 Captains1911, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  16. glock22357

glock22357
    Expand Collapse
    Got Ammo???

It's a shame you got a bad Eotech. How long ago did you own this bummer of an Eotech.

17. Tucson_1

Tucson_1
    Expand Collapse

Because the OP's question has been answered and the topic of reliability has come up I'll chime in... I have an EoTech 512. I have experienced no issue with it. The only issue I ever had was with the Bushnell Holosight (Eotech's early design) is having accidentaly left the sight in the "on" mode and having the battary run down. I personally believe this is the cause of most reported battary life issues.

18. glock22357

glock22357
    Expand Collapse
    Got Ammo???

And people not turning them off is a larger issue with Eotechs, because their batteries only last months, instead of the years that Aimpoints go.

I'm good with 8000 or so hours of use (vrs. 50000), the reticle, speed and precision of the Eotech are worth an extra set of batteries every so often.

19. WhiskeyUnicorn

WhiskeyUnicorn
    Expand Collapse
    Paramagician

+1 EoTechs reticle is ACE. Carry spare batteries and since I don't go into battle with demon hordes...if they run out I'll flip up my BUIS...then when home I'll replace them...

20. Captains1911

Captains1911
    Expand Collapse

The EOTech is supposed to turn itself off automatically after a few hours, so this shouldn't be an issue. As for an optic automatically turning itself off, well that raises other reliability concerns....

Like I said, my EOtech would have fresh batteries and be turned off, and would still drain them. This was with alkalines, I have heard of people having better luck with lithiums.

I owned that optic for about a year before I sold it and bought an Aimpoint Comp ML3, couldn't be happier. Like I said, I do prefer the EOTech's reticle, but to me it's not worth the reliability issues. Perhaps one day I will own another once they have ironed out all of their issues, I'll probably still be on the same Aimpoint battery when that time comes....