close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Newbie wanting to try....

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by jhun, Dec 28, 2005.

1. jhun

jhun

Dec 27, 2005
    Hi Sirs,

I am a newbie wanting to try shooting as a hobby. Will I be accommodated here if my purpose is to look for advice & meet new buddies?

Still undecided what to buy, but I am leaning towards a Glock (biglang bumaba kasi...sa buy and sell plus nga merong akong nakita brand new for 30k). A couple of people are saying that before I get one, I must attend seminars or kung ano man yun, just to be familiar with the responsibility of having one. Bali ang analogy nila dito is bago ka bumili ng auto dapat marunong or matutu kang magmaneho.

tama ba tong napuntahan ko?

Thanks in advance!

2. bokbok_05

bokbok_05

Apr 24, 2005
    Welcome to BoG!!!;F . Of course...tama ang napuntahan mo. Newbie din ako and I will let the veteran/seasoned shooters to give you pointers and advices. Goodluck!:)

3. toxic

toxic

Jan 15, 2005
    doin' time
    ;F to BOG's , you've come to the right place , maraming experts, masters and very good advisers dito(im not one of them ,i consider myself as a newbie parin)before you post any question or answer any question in a thread, Read the STICKY first just to be aware of the do's and the donts and do a forum search also para di paulit ulit mga questions from newbies like us.;f
    Try to browse here http://glocktalk.gunserver.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=80&x=11&y=13 again;F you'll learn a lot here.

4. ;F Welcome Jhun;F

If you have the time, browse thru the previous threads of the BOGs. You'll find it's a treasure trove of info on shooting, FA's and what not which can help.:)

5. Kiddo

Kiddo

Jun 14, 2003
    ;F to BOG! Most guys here shoot 1911s either in 40cal std, or open. Glock is a good choice, especially for self defense, or production div. If you choose Glock, I suggest 9mm since ammo is cheaper and you wont have the lead problems with .40 Glocks. If you choose to shoot IPSC style, there are a lot of masters in the game here. Just browse around and enjoy! ;f

6. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    California
    Know and follow the 4 Rules of Gun Safety, watch shooting competitions, practice and practice, and you'll be fine. :)

;F

7. Pepe308

Pepe308 Noypi

Oct 20, 2005
    Southeast Asia
    ;F sir!!! I leave the advise and suggestions to the experts around here, enjoy!!!

8. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    Aside from attending seminars and reading up on gun safety and proper gun handling, you should also try getting the feel of different makes and models of firearms, both pistols and revolvers. See which type/model fits your hand the best and which you are most comfortable handling. Do lots of research before you buy, and feel free to ask questions IF you have already searched through the forums and still not found the information you need. Happy reading :)

9. vega

vega

Sep 29, 2001
    SoCal
    Hi jhun,
    Welcome to the forum!
    They must have meant Basic Handgun Safety Seminar
    which is one of the requirements in owning any FA.

And mura na pala ng Glock dyan, pero don't get it because of the
    price. Try handling different FAs. Anyway if you buy what you decide now, everyone knows that it will not stop there. You just got to have one of everything, or two.

Goodluck with your choice.

vega

10. casmot

casmot Re membered

ok, ok... nandito na ako, the resident EXPERT!~2 Ask away! What do you want to know, jhun? Love life? Sex? Anything? Just ask and I'll PM those BoGs who know the answer. ;f ;f ;f Kidding aside, ;F to BoGs.

Hindi naman. Only those who were called to the dark side shoots an open gun. A number of BoGs still competes using a Glock or other production guns.

11. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

Sep 15, 2001
    19th Hole
    Welcome to the Forum. Ask away and most of us if not all will respond right away.

12. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    if its going to be a your only pistol, a glock 17 will be an excellent choice for competition and for self-defense purposes.

but if you plan to change later, huwag ka na mag glock, save your money and go straight to a 1911 platform in .40 cal.

13. Welcome, Jhun.

Pare, are you aware that the Glock does not have an external safety? In other words, you must have very good discipline in where you put your finger (sexy, no?) and when (when she's breathing heavily.) Seriously, for a newbie this no-external-safety and fairly-light-short-pull-Glock-trigger could be a problem.

In fact, as a newbie, you might want to get a gun with a safety first. The 1911 .40 or .45 will be fine for that, as others have recomended.

14. jhun

jhun

Dec 27, 2005
    Thank you all for your warm welcome & I hope to see you all when the time comes!!

The truth is I haven’t made up my mind yet on what to get (although I am leaning more on G26)…my objective is to have a new hobby & for home defense na rin syempre…nothing serious like joining a competition or something, that is why I choose 9mm as the caliber at hinde 45…pero malay natin matuwa ako ng husto…..at tsaka sub kasi maliit lang kamay ko.

Yesterday, after office, I fired my first 50 rounds using the CZ75 house gun of Jethros’ range @ MCS. Nagalay right shoulder ko…hehehe.
    According to the range officer, the stance should be left leg forward; right leg backward (if you’re right handed) & the left arm should be slightly higher than your right arm. Before when my friend was still here (he is now in Canada), I used to dry fire his 1911 & he told me that the proper stance was both leg should be spread apart approximately shoulders width and to slightly lean forward…I am guessing both stance are correct?? One more thing I have notice is that since pasmado ako..yung dulo nung baril nanginginig…..meron kayang remedyo yun?

Thanks again!!

BTW…saying naka filter sa work ko tong website (we are using websence) ….kung hinde sana mas madalas akong makakapasyal dito.

15. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    California
    Try to acces GlockTalk through www.aritah.com , you might get through your office filter.

16. vega

vega

Sep 29, 2001
    SoCal
    If you're planning to compete in the future G26 is not the way to go. Get either compacts or full-size. G26, G19 and G17 all have the same grip diameter, mas maliit lang ang lenght ng G26. If you can grip a 26, you can grip all Glocks except 45s and 10s.

Happy New Year to all!

vega

17. welcome.:)
    if you choose a glock, then you've made a wise choice. no disrespect to 1911 fans but for me, even though im also a 1911 fan myself and an HK fan as well, for me, in my opinion, glocks are the best.

18. kamelot

kamelot

Dec 16, 2005
    Philippines
    The books say that the 9mm bullet travels faster(greater velocity) than the 45 cal bullet. As such, it can easily penetrate walls as compared to the .45 cal. You should consider this fact when you use the 9mm for home defense.

The MCS guy must be talking about the Weaver stance. Most of the guys I see (as I was trained since 1982) use the Isosceles stance and variants thereof (like your Canadian based friend). I believe the latter is more "action" friendly.:)

19. toxic

toxic

Jan 15, 2005
    doin' time
  20. jhun

jhun

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks! nakalusot na ko sa filter using yung hk54