close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Newbie to 1911s.......have some questions.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Airborne Infantryman, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    I recently got my first 1911; a Rock Island Armory Tactical Two-Tone. I love it, but have been reading up on 1911s in general. I've heard you shouldn't drop the slide on an empty chamber, is this true? I haven't done it since I read not too, but I've done it about 10 times since I got the pistol brand new; you reckon anything is messed up? :dunno:

I've also dry fired it around the same; maybe 10-15 times. Is it ok to dry-fire a 1911 like you can a Glock? I know; two different animals. I'm used to Glocks and other polymer pistols, so this is new territory to me; I will say that I'd like to get a higher end 1911 some day; I like the look and history of the 1911 design. Thanks for any and all help! :wavey:

2. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Dropping the slide is not the best thing to do if you have a really nice crisp trigger pull since it could mess up that really nice trigger. The RIA is nice but it goes not have a really nice custom trigger job. So you haven't messed up anything but I wouldn't continue to drop the slide till the cows come home either. Don't worry, your fine.

Now to dry firing. That you can do till the cows come home and beyond. I have dry fired some of my guns THOUSANDS of times. It will not do any harm other than wear out your firing pin return spring a little sooner. Since when you buy a Wolff recoil 16 pound spring and get a "free" firing pin spring just change firing pin spring out when you change out your recoil spring.
    You should change out your recoil spring with a 16 pounder about every 2,000 rounds. Don't worry they cost 5 whole bucks.

3. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    :drillsgt: I order you to buy more mags/ammo and go to the range! Carry on! :drillsgt:

:cool: