close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Newbie question on primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Roering, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Roering

Roering
    Expand Collapse
    Sorting nuts

I see there are "big pistol" and "small pistol" primers.

I'm looking to load for both .40 S&W and 9mm for my G23 so would it be big or small?

Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. fudd

fudd
    Expand Collapse

Depends...are they big .40s and 9s or small .40s and 9s?

BUY A BOOK!

3. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily
    Expand Collapse

You are going to catch a lot of flack for this one - so let me try to be a reasonable voice.

If you are asking this question, you are not ready to reload. Buy a book. Read it cover-to-cover. Then re-read the sections that are important to what you want to load. Then ask questions - we'd love to help!

4. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

The load data in one of your manuals will show you exactly which primers to use for each caliber and each load, i.e. standard or magnum load.

I certainly don't want to be unhelpful but you're attempting to load two calibers that could potentially get you in trouble, especially the high pressure .40.

If you don't know the most basic terminology or the simplest of the loading components you may have some research and reading left to do before you possibly ruin a gun or lose body parts.

It's a very enjoyable hobby... but it can hurt you really bad if you don't put in the effort to learn it. I wish you good fortune and many happy years of loading... but don't try to take shortcuts.

Jack

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

It's in the cartridge discription section of your reloading manual.

6. polizei1

polizei1
    Expand Collapse
    It WAS Quack

And you guys thought I was bad. Still am BTW. :faint:

-Cody

7. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree, this is a very basic question that a reloading manual tells you for every cartrdige. I'll throw you a bone, but you need to read a book. The 9mm & 40 both take small pistol, std. primers.:upeyes:

8. Roering

Roering
    Expand Collapse
    Sorting nuts

Jeez guys, I haven't loaded yet but am just looking at the cost vs. buying already manufactured ammunition. Perhaps this isn't the right kind of place to ask questions.

--never said I was ready to reload.
    I would ask what the difference is but I dare not.

Thank you Fredj338 for an answer.

#8 Roering, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  9. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta
    Expand Collapse

Oh dear:couch:

10. robin303

robin303
    Expand Collapse
    Helicopter Nut

Deep down they are really trying to help you out. Reloading can be a very dangerous. Get at least 3 books.

11. polizei1

polizei1
    Expand Collapse
    It WAS Quack

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059284&highlight=primer+sizes

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027887

The problem is, that questions is very obvious with hardly any research. I did a few days of extensive research before I decided to post my first post...so I at least understood the basics. I would suggest reading all the stickies and the newbie guide, it has a ton of useful information. Remember, if you're reloading, you're dealing with explosive primers and powder. That alone can be extremely dangerous, not to mention other things. They're just trying to look out for your safety.

-Cody

#11 polizei1, Jan 28, 2010
  12. Roering

Roering
    Expand Collapse
    Sorting nuts

Really? Get 3 books before I even price out the components? Before I even entertain the thought of reloading vs. buying manufactured ammo??? I NEED TO READ 3 BOOKS ON RELOADING BEFORE I ASK A QUESTION ABOUT PRIMERS?!?!?!?

I know reloading can be dangerous but should researching it be so dangerous?

13. AA#5

AA#5
    Expand Collapse

Some people read too much into a question. I think some people here assume you're sitting at a loading bench already handloading & if you're asking that question, you shouldn't be handloading until you have more knowledge. Not everyone is that way.

The primer pockets are either large or small - same with rifle cartridges. If you look at a 44 or 45 auto case, you'll notice the primer pocket is larger. Also, there are standard and magnum primers. Magnum primers have a bigger spark needed to ignite slower-burning powders for higher velocity.

To others here: What's wrong with answering a question, then adding: "For your safety, consult a loading manual before handloading."

14. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Primers all cost about the same. Lg vs Sm. No real difference.

15. Roering

Roering
    Expand Collapse
    Sorting nuts

For those in the "You'll blow up your garage kid" court.

I would not go messing around with powder and primers that would ignite it until I know what I'm doing.

I'm just trying to see if it is worthwhile to load/reload.

Where I live ammunition is expensive...really expensive. $25 plus for cheap target .40 ammo expensive and come Feb of 2011 buying online will not be allowed so I'm looking at other alternatives to foster my hobby.

#15 Roering, Jan 28, 2010
  16. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Would you let your children drive your car without first reading a driving manual just because they have an 'interest' in driving? I doubt it.

If you have to ask a question about primers, the most basic of loading components, and not even a technical question about load reduction when forced to use magnum primers when standards are scarce demonstrates that you really 'don't' know how dangerous loading can be.

You've come to a forum where the combined experience in loading is hundreds and hundreds of years with millions and millions of rounds having been produced on equipment ranging from tongs to progressive presses as well as cramming a round ball down the muzzle of a rifle.

Every one here, every single poster is here to help and/or learn but unlike our current society we don't subscribe to the theory of coddling someone from cradle to grave... self-help and self-responsibility enters into the equation.

We understand that you want to decide if loading will be cost effective vs factory but without a little research/reading on your part how can you possibly have any idea of what you might need to base those cost effectiveness decisions on?

If the answers to your questions contain information involving burn rate, CUP pressures, grains vs CC, air cast vs water drop, SP, LP, SR, LR, SRBR or LRBR would you even have any idea what anyone was talking about?

Take a few minutes to read the stickies at the top of the threads, members of this forum spent a good deal of time and effort putting those together to help those just like you who have an interest in learning about the art of loading.

Demonstrate a little effort in learning a little bit about what many of us have taken decades to learn and I do believe you'll be surprised at how much enthusiastic help you'll receive.

Jack

17. KinderGlocken

KinderGlocken
    Expand Collapse

Basically I can reload for at least half the price of new ammo. Do I save money? No, I just shoot twice as much.

18. LoadedTech

LoadedTech
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like you live in CA or of the sort. You might want to find out if you can mail order primers and or powder after Feb 2011, in your state. I started reloading when I couldnt find ammo at all. You save about 1/2 of what you would spend on loaded ammo. The start up cost involved will allow you to break even at 3-5k rounds made depending on the press you buy.

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

YOU asked and answered your own question in reality.

Come 2011 do you think ammo will cost more or less in your area?

Come 2011 do you think reloading supplies will cost more or less in your area?

It's simple. I don't even know if I would buy a press. I would buy as many primers and as much powder as possible. If bullets are on that list of banned things add that to your shopping spree. In 2011 you could sell them all and make a profit OR get a press and start loading.

20. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

Right now you could be buying components for premium reloaded ammo online for yourself. The total cost would be about $8.50 a box with bulk buys of Bullets (case of MG 180g FMJ's $300) primers (5K at $24-26 a K) powder (8# jugs $75-90) plus hazmat, no tax.

It could only get cheaper, if you buy more. So the real question is not whether it's worthwhile, in my view you have no other alternative if you intend to continue with you hobby.

As a point of reference: I shoot 1000-1200 rounds of 9mm and/.40 a month, cost me anywhere between $90 to $125 a month depending on if I'm loading lead or FMJ. In perspective, it cost me about $400 total to get started reloading one caliber with a LCT and the required tooling. Given your cost of what you pay for ammo. I paid for that tooling in LESS than 2k rounds!

So is it worth it? Ask yourself again... :whistling: