Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Newbie needs help!

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by midliferally, May 30, 2011.

1. I'm looking for my first AR. I'm 6'5" and have long arms. I also have a long neck so my eye line is pretty far above my shoulders. What options should I look for? How about a Scar?
    I will be using this gun for range work ( three gun?), def will add a scope, and maybe some varmints shooting. Thanks in advance!
  2. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    Full sized 20" AR with A1 sights

3. mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    16" lightweight w/ a 12" or 13" free float hand guard w/ an Aimpoint H1 or T1 if you want NV.
  4. Does any specific manufacturer make a stock that adjusts more than any other? Any add ons? Any type gun (scar) better? Thanks for the help!
  5. micdude

Apr 5, 2006
    I’m 6'5" too, don't worry about it get any AR you want and any adjustable stock works just fine. Also pick up a Aim Point or Eotech and you don’t need to worry about eye relief.
  6. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    The VLTOR A5 stock system is the longest collapsible stock I'm aware of. It works really well in most rifles.

The Magpul UBR is a good choice because it offers the stability of a fixed stock, but it does collapse.

However, Most people I know, tall ones as well (myself included), usually shoot from either a fully collapsed stock, or the first or second notch. This is because of the stance and use of optics.

If you can swing the SCAR, I would say go for it. Otherwise, just stick with a good AR-15 and customize it to fit you.
  7. Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    If you can afford the SCAR...It's one hell of a rifle.
  8. Any of you tall dudes shot a Scar? The reason I ask, I pretty sure there are none around here for me to try. How does length of pull compare to an AR?
    Thanks to all so far. I appreciate the imput!!