close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Newbie AR questions

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by sr975j, Mar 5, 2012.

1. sr975j

sr975j

May 2, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    so i am wanting to build my first AR and i dont even know where to start. i have pretty basic parameters so far. i am on a budget build and would like to keep things as inexpensive as possible and by inexpensive, i mean i would like to keep the final price below $750 built. i dont need the best of the best, but i dont want some cheap junk that will cause me more frustration than enjoyment either.

like i said, i would like to build it myself but i just need some pointers from the "experts" :supergrin: here on GT. what are some good companies to use for stripped lowers, parts kits, and uppers? keep in mind my budget build.

also, im going to be completely honest here. i know very little about AR's and have only shot one maybe 3-4 times. here is what i have in a cart from PSA. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/checkout/cart/
    am i heading in the right direction as far as parts go? do i have everything there that i would need to complete the build?

one more thing, i am holding off on an optic for now. i will just be using the basic sights until my budget gets a little higher.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. ericridebike

ericridebike

Dec 18, 2010
    AZ
    Your link didn't show any items in the cart for me. You should be good to go though with PSA stuff, as they have a good reputation for quality & decent prices. Another you might consider is Del-Ton, Inc. I have a build I did with their stuff and its performed flawlessly. S&W's M&P 15 Sport seems to get a lot of good reviews for quality & low price too.

3. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Sam, Considering your budget and experience, O would have to say you can save yourself tons of time, energy and aggravation and just go buy an economy AR. The S&W M&P Sport fits your needs. Its a basic Ar you can expand on . Do some reseach on this rifle.

4. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    ^+1. I recently bought my first. It was going to be an M&P until I found a great deal on a Colt.

5. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    You should not have any problem keeping a build within your budget.

Purchase a stripped lower, then buy a PSA rifle kit. Assembling a lower & mating it to a complete upper is easy-peasy.

6. davsco

davsco

Feb 27, 2011
    suggest you just buy a pre-built AR for your first one. building really isn't much if any cheaper than buying a completed one. just hit local gun stores and gun shows and gun ranges and play with them and discuss with your buddies what they like and don't and take that into account.

skip hitting restaurants and bars for a month or two or work a little overtime. in the low $1000 range you should be able to find some pretty decent guns. look at armalite, they have a bunch of stuff in the 1000-1500 range.

nice thing about AR's is they are totally customizeable, so once you have a basic AR you can change literally everything as your wallet allows it.

7. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    ^ Yup. All you need to assembly a lower in a razor blade and youtube.

8. sr975j

sr975j

May 2, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    the M&P15 is definitely a possibility but this will be my only AR for a while and i would like to the get "built, not bought" satisfaction for my first one.

Sam

9. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    If you have no experience with an AR-15, do not build it yourself the first time. You won't really save any money, and you risk screwing it up.

For ~$200 more, you could have a much better rifle, as well. It's worth it to save up and get a Colt/BCM/LMT/Noveske/DD and skip the lower quality stuff.

If you must make use cheaper parts, buy an upper minus the bolt group from PSA, put a BCM bolt carrier group in it. Buy a PSA lower, and put a BCM or DD parts kit in it. Finish it off with a basic stock kit from BCM.

That would be the only way I would settle on to make a decent rifle. Skip all the companies that claim to be in the "as good as" a known quality manufacturer (DPMS, BM, Del-ton, etc).

10. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Nov 19, 2010
    SC
    I am looking to put together a BCM blem lower, BCM middy upper with CL BCM barrel, BCM Gunfighter CH and BCM BCG for a grand total of $850 plus shipping and a $15 transfer fee. I already have a stock and handguard from upgrading my other rifle. Save up a little more for a better rifle, just my .02

11. country85

country85

Jan 14, 2012
    Greentown, IN
    True you might be able to find a ready to go rifle a little cheaper than you can build one, but you won't have the satisfaction of doing it your self. Now if that's not a big deal to you then by all means go for it. Personally I started with a palmetto state lower and parts kit, super simple to build. People will tell you that you will need a vise and a mag block to put it together. They're wrong, I put mine together in about 45 min in my living room with a jewelers hammer, didn't put one scratch on the lower and the hardest part was the front take down pin detent. Model one has some fairly good uppers, but if you want to go with really good quality I'd go with a complete kit from palmetto state, the most important thing to remember is to build a rifle that you will be happy with and is set up just the way you like.

12. sr975j

sr975j

May 2, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    i forgot to mention, i am a lefty and it would be cool to have a lefty AR. How do you guys feel about Stag Arms for a lefty?

Sam

13. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Upper, bolt and bolt carrier are all proprietary, so swapping parts with a friend is a no-go. I have plenty of left-handed friends that shoot ARs no problem, and don't need left handed uppers to do it.

14. BBJones

BBJones

Mar 2, 2010

+1

I shoot primarily lefty. No need to get a lefty AR.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  15. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

Aug 11, 2006
    Broken Arrow
    I shoot long guns left handed so I had the same thoughts when I started my build. I am just doing a regular right handed gun ad will add an ambi safety. Should be good.

16. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    +1 You cannot go wrong with buying a stripped lower and a PSA rifle kit. Building a stripped lower is easy, and a lot of fun.

As said above the M&P sport is a good rifle at a good price, but if it were my money I would go the PSA build rout no question.

Good luck.

17. sr975j

sr975j

May 2, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    after doing more research over the last few days, ive almost decided on saying screw it and getting the 6920. to hell with the budget. i can afford a 6920, why skimp on an AR right? you only live once. i should be picking one up over the next few weeks.

Sam

18. akgunnut

akgunnut

Feb 17, 2007
    Alaska
  19. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    While you can do better than a Colt, getting a 6920 for under $1000 is a good deal, and worth it. For the $1100 or higher most places are asking, I'd rather buy a DD(edit: although their MSRP has gone up recently..) or BCM.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  20. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

Aug 11, 2006
    Broken Arrow
    Check your local Wall-mart for the 6920 others have said they saw it for $1097 but I could have sworn it was like $ 958 here.