close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Newbie AR Question

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Paul7, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Paul7

Paul7 New Guy

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    I've been shooting my new RRA A2 twice and both my son and I have noticed at the 70 yards we were shooting we did much better with the larger aperture rear sight, which seemed counter-intuitive. Is there any 'rule' of when to use the different rear sights or is it just a matter of personal preference?

2. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16

Sep 12, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010

3. kabob983

kabob983 "Mostly" Dead

Jun 27, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    +1, the large aperature is used under 200 yards.

Also, learn your holdovers, it'll help you all around for adjusting for distance.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  4. Paul7

Paul7 New Guy

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
  5. Kentak

Kentak

Jan 8, 2006
    Central Ohio
    It stands to reason that centering the front post in a small aperture is going to result in more precise aiming than doing so in a larger aperture. Hence, you need to use the small aperture for longer range shooting which is less forgiving of imprecise aiming.

So, why not use the small aperture all the time? Because it's not as quick to acquire the front post as it would with the larger aperture. So, you use the large aperture for shorter range shooting where the precision is good enough for general tactical use and where quick sight picture acquisition is more important.

Sound about right?

6. Novocaine

Novocaine

Jun 10, 2004
    I use large apperture for low light only

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  7. Novocaine

Novocaine

Jun 10, 2004
    When you zero you adjust elevation with a front sight only.

8. Kentak

Kentak

Jan 8, 2006
    Central Ohio
    True, but that assumes you first set the rear sight to the appropriate "zeroing" elevation, depending on your sight design and zeroing method you are using. Then, after zeroing, all further elevation (range) adjustments are made with the rear sight. (Unless I don't understand the question)

9. JCROWNII

JCROWNII

Dec 30, 2009
    UNDISCLOSED
    I have a S&W M&P15X. Is this rifle zeroed out of the box? or does that even exist? if not, how do I know if my rifle is zeroed? does this mean point of aim is exactly the point of impact? I dont know how the hell to zero my AR. I have a troy industries BUIS as the rear sight and a standard M4/M16 front sight post.

10. Novocaine

Novocaine

Jun 10, 2004
    Why, shoot it.

Yes. At certain distance. The most sensible is 50/200 yards range (bullet trajectory intersects the line of sight at 50 yards going up and at 200 yards going down). It’s known as Lt.Col. Santose’s method and places bullet trajectory within 2-3 inches (mostly within 2 inches) from point blank out to 250 yards.

Place your target at 50 yards. Flip the small aperture up. Fire a four-shot group. The point that is a geometric center of the group should coincide with your point of aim. If it doesn't adjust the sights, front for elevation, rear for windage. To adjust front sight is best to have a front sight tool. Rear can be adjusted with the coin/ screwdriver or a bullet tip.

To move the group up push the front sight down, to move the group to the left move the rear sight to the left. Confirm your zeroing at 200 yards.

Small and large apertures are on the same plane, your point of impact should not change when you flip between the two.

You can zero at other distances to your heart content but 50/200 method gives the best bang for the buck. Keep in mind, switching ammo or adding equipment to your rifle will likely affect the point of impact: might wanna recheck the zero. Good luck.

11. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    It is good for low light but the large aperture is also much better for CQB. Its easier to shoot quickly with a larger rear aperture. Personally I use the large aperture out to 50 yards and then from 50 and beyond I use the small one.
    Pat

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010