newb question.

Discussion in 'GATE AR-15 Forum' started by jakebrake, Apr 19, 2011.

1. would i be better off

a) buying a used 6920
    b) attempting to build my own?
    c) buying off the shelf.(new.)

also, the more i read about piston systems, the better they seem to be. am i just falling for the "ooh, ahh"? if so, is there a conversion kit to go to piston?

i'm going to be working with rather limited funds (about a thousand) and would like to get as far as possible.

i've been told the most popular lower priced are "questionable" as far as quality.

i figure i'd rather ask a newb question of an expert, than flush a grand down the toilet.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Constructor

first time out get a 6920 known to work well, you can build a hand picked rig after you get some experience under your belt.

3. 1) Colt 6920 is a proven weapon.
    2) If you follow proper procedures, you can build yourself a great AR. The advantage if done right is being able to pick and choose the feature you want on your rifle. If done wrong, you've spent a lot of money on ....
    3) There are many milspec grade guns out there. Like Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, Larue, etc. etc. There are so many options now it's endless.

There are a lot of positives and negatives about a piston system. Some positives are easier cleaning (I don't clean mine) & more reliable (in theory). The main disadvantage is that they are a little less accurate & parts are a little tougher to replace.

For $1000, I'd stick with a solid factory gun like mentioned above so you have a solid chassis to build on in the future.

4. Just my $.02. Why not build your own. Thats what i am doing. I like the fact that i can pick and choose what i do and dont want from the start. Kind off like a jedi building a light saber. Become one with you weapon

5. I agree with this statement---but in the end it's your choice.

6. Pistons are all the rage but there is nothing wrong with a gas system.

I'm old school. Learned on an M-16A1. My opinion is buy a simple, basic gun and learn to use it to its limits. Then build or buy a more elaborate (accessorized) gun.

7. It all depends on what you are wanting to do with the AR. If you are planning on taking a 6920 and modding it out, it is a waste of time and money. If you are wanting something that shoots smoothly, you will most likely want to go with a mid-length gas system barrel. You DO NOT NEED a piston operated system. Semi-auto weapons do not benefit from them. Full-auto weapons do as that is what they were designed for. Stick with a Direct Impingement gas system. Building you own, they way you want it to begin with, is a very viable option. I have been building my own for 11 years now. Now, if you can find one off the shelf with the setup you want, then buy it. The problem is that many guys start by hanging all sorts of crap all over them without any forethought as to why. When you are setting up an AR, you need to be "purpose-minded". You need to think about how you are going to use it and just outfit it with the essentials and nothing more. Less is more. By this, I mean that the less crap you hang on it, the more effective the weapon will be. It will be lighter and less cumbersome and easier to handle.

In essence, if it is a simple carbine you are looking for and you really want a Colt for some reason, the 6920 is a good option. There are other choices that are comparable in the same price and some less in price. You can actually get a good and dependable AR carbine for around the $600 range. If you are wanting to go with a mid-length, you have a wide assortment of options. Many companies offer pre-built uppers in several different configurations. I have led a couple guys to Palmetto State Armory for their builds and they have been extremely happy with what they have. I have helped a few others with complete builds where we spec'd out everything the new owner wanted and we built it. The main thing is not to fall into the "ooh, ahh" hole. Additionally, you have to determine your budget when you begin looking at an AR. Bear in mind, there are additional cost such as ammo and magazines. An AR is no good with out them. You really want to have at least 1000 rounds of good 5.56x45mm 55 gr. FMJ ammo (M193 or equivalent) and a minimum of five magazines on hand.

As far as being told that the most popular lower priced are "questionable" as far as quality, that is a bunch of bunk. There are many good and dependable ARs out there that do not break the bank when it comes to price. The playing field is a lot more level these days that it was 5-10 years ago. From someone who has owned over four dozen ARs in the past 11 years, currently owns 35, and has built over three dozen, I have used many different manufacturer's parts on my builds over the years and own several different factory ARs. If you have any questions as to more info, feel free to contact me.

reaja@cox.net

glak1940 likes this.
  8. 1/ How much do you have? 2/ what is it for ?
    If you have all the tools to build one, maybe you should, this is perfect when you don't have the fund to buy a rifle off a shelf. Buy one part at a time. Which can save you a lot of money if you are searching for new parts that it put on sales for cheap on the sales forum.. Or you are that type of guys don't like second hand or parts sold by other people. You can buy it off dealers on the website when it is on sale.. So it is up to you.

9. It is a buyer's market. Look for rebates and sales!