New York and LEOSA

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by nohocop, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

No, and your strawman apples to oranges bull**** is getting old.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. How many officers are willing to cite someone for violating the 7 round limit? I'd ask any NYPD to take a stand to not enforce it unless it's tacked on to another valid offense that has already been committed. What are the chances of that happening?

3. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

That's not the point, and it's really unfair for anyone (LE or non-sworn citizen) to expect an officer to risk formal reprimand for a poorly thought out law which is nothing more than political grandstanding. This might be the single stupidest law I've heard of to date, and they managed to ramrod it through on thr backs of slain children, which sickens me far more than anything else they've done.

As for Clyde, since you keep going on about doctors and surgeons, I pose this question to you: why should a doctor or surgeon with MD plates on their personal vehicle be allowed to stop, stand and park regardless of the posted ordnances and laws, as some states allow them to do? They're just like you and me, right? Heck, I've taken basic first aid, so I should be allowed to park my personal vehicle wherever I choose as well, wouldn't you say?

4. Say we disregard the new law and keep 10 or 15 rounds or what ever in out mag's, say we need to act and we fire 10 plus rounds now what, we saved livves but our also broken the law.

I read in some of the links above that they are going to add a exemption for active and retired LE, so I assume that will mean that well be able to keep our Hi Caps and ten round mags, I am hoping for all of our guns and not just our duty/back up.

I really do like living in NY state, yes I moved out of NYC and the LI area and live in farm Country on my own hobby farm, But I hate BS like this and the I can't forget the taxes.

5. I think even just in this thread there is more than ample evidence that it is both. And if one examines past history... well never mind.

Hopefully the legislature can rethink at least some of this.

6. In your hypothetical above you should have time to sort out your statement that you acted with 7rds and then reloaded before the boys arrive ;0 Of course I would be concerned about the local prosecutor more than the arriving officers.

Considering the myriad oversights in the bill I cant imagine these twits are going to distinguish between LEOs' duty and other weapons in their revision. But they've already demonstrated their lack of sensibility so we shall see...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. WT

WT
    Millennium Member

Stuntman22 - thanks for the clarification.

8. This may or may not answer some of your questions.....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...law-after-concern-about-exemption-for-police/

#108 Ajon412, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  9. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

No matter what happens when I retire, I just want to be able to carry one more in my gun than kenpoprofessor.

#110 razdog76, Jan 18, 2013
  10. That's funny!

Sent from my rotary dial phone

11. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

:rofl: Thank you! I was having a sorta not great day, but THAT made me cry laughing! Bahahaha!

#112 msu_grad_121, Jan 18, 2013
  12. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

13. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

Depends on the officer. To quote Capt Ramius from the hunt for red october "We meet the right sort, this will work. We get some... buckaroo"

14. The bottom line is that this law is going to have to have some amendments added to it. There are just too many loop holes. The law was very poorly written.

15. Blah,blah,blah...I'm right, you're wrong...blah, blah...my opinion beats your years of experience and training...blah,blah...unions bad, cops bad...blah,blah...open carry!...blah, blah...I'm the best employee my boss ever had...blah...cops wrong...blah...open carry!...blah...gun...blah...kenpo...right turn clyde...

16. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

Cochese,

The only problem with repealing or stopping gun control is that it seems like when politicians do pass gun control that affects the police too, the police dont fight the legislation they only fight to get an exemption for themselves.

Once the police do get exempted, you never hear from the police again about how wrong or ineffective the new gun control law is other than places like GT. The police don't lobby our legislature to overturn anything or to support ccw nationwide.

I remember watching a chief on the news testifying before Congress about LEOSA back on 2004 when the law was being considered. The chief thought federal law should allow active/retired leos to ccw nationwide, but it should be up to the states when it comes to private citizens ccw.

I know you and other leos here on GT are very pro-2A, citizen ccw nationwide, but leos as a whole do not fight very often or very hard for citizens gun rights.

I really think if the police in this country became more vocal and publicly supported the 2A everytime some gun grabber introduced ridiculous legislation we would ALL be better off.

Look at the police in NY. They are not fighting the new magazine restriction, they are just trying to get an exemption for themselves.

:)

#117 ICARRY2, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  17. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

That's exactly right. We are not a lobby, we are part of the executive branch of government and engage in law enforcement activities.

18. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

However, we do belong to certain LE organizations who look out for our interests.

And I hope all here are petitioning their PBA, FOP, Union or other association to amend LEOSA to include high capacity magazines.

Thanks.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Furthermore, ICARRY2, who have you seen on TV speaking about these issues? Universally, it's someone with stars on their lapels. Chiefs, Deputy Chiefs, administrators and obviously Sheriffs are political positions and thereby carry a certain weight with their opinions (no matter how hackneyed they are). Think about the last time you saw Patrol Officer Jones on the news espousing their opinions on national CCW. Why is that? Because the media and those in the higher levels of government don't care about the opinions of peons like us. They rely on our Chief to express our opinions on our behalf. If the opinions expressed don't reflect ours, we don't really have much in the way of recourse, do we?

I dare say the average police officer in this country couldn't care less about high capacity magazines, or if you're carrying a firearm legally. Those in the upper eschelons of police adminsitration care, and their views must align with those of their betters so they can keep their position and advance. Politics, see?

Add to that the very real possibility a department may have a general order or some such directive barring a plain old street cop from expressing personal opinions while representing the department, and you'll never hear what the officer pushing the squad car really thinks.

#120 msu_grad_121, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013