Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

New video card

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by AC37, Aug 26, 2006.

1. AC37

AC37 SystemicAnomaly

Dec 12, 2000
    Provo, UT
    Well, my $500 (3 years ago) PNY Technologies TI 4800 video card went TU on me, and it looks like it's potenially going be a major hassle to get it replaced under the warranty. Grrr, PNY Technology.

Anyway, if I do have to buy a new video card out of this, I really don't care or have that much to spend again, nor do I need to with the limited games I play these days. Nor do I care to spend any money on a video card period without knowing it'll do what I need before buying it...since returning something purchased online/warranty work so far has proven to be a major hassle. Frankly, although I'm fairly computer savvy and build/work on systems all the time for myself and others, I just can't keep up with all the different numbers involved in understanding what constitutes a well-performing, reliable, compatible card, and what doesn't, since I don't have nearly the time for gaming as I used to. I just don't really don't know where to start looking for a card that will fit my needs. One note: it does need to be an AGP 8x card, as my mobo does not have any PCI-E slots in it.

About the most graphics-demanding game/app I use these days is Command and Conquer Generals and the Zero Hour expansion. As long as it runs that well (smooth framerate, no framerate dips or only a little during the biggest battles with the highest graphics level), that's the really all I care about. I don't really play any high-end FPS games such as Unreal Tournament/Quake/etc., so hopefully a good price on a replacement card shouldn't be a very tall order. I have sub-$200 I'm willing to spend for what I'm looking for, and prefer an nVidia/GeForce chipset card for compatibility reasons, unless there's a major jump in quality/performance for the few extra dollars....but again, I'm not after bleeding edge technology with bleeding edge prices here, just something within my modest long as it runs C&C Generals flawlessly, it'll likely do everything else I need a card to do right now.

TIA for all recommendations! :)
  2. malkore

Dec 1, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

3. Glacked79

Oct 24, 2000
    I'm an Nvidia fan, so I'll post up about those - ATI is also a darn nice card.

I've got the BFG 6600 GT.

I think they are around $60-$90, depending on AGP or PCI-E. It's what came with my Falcon-NW gaming rig. I've had zero trouble with it and it's factory OCed. I play everything from America's Army to BF2 to Ghost Recon with it. It struggles a bit with GRAW, but works great with the others. I'll probably be getting a new card in the next 6 months and it'll be another BFG make.

Good luck and good gaming.