close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

new uniforms ACU

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by fitz4609, Feb 25, 2006.

1. fitz4609

fitz4609 Gold Member

Nov 24, 2005
    North of the Valley
    How are the new uniforms being received by the troops?
    Why is there a change from the Marines similar uniform?
    As a soldier that came in when plain olive drab was the issue and I saw my first BDU being worn by a E-2 while in Sinop, Turkey I guess i'm just curious.

2. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    Our brigade was the first to be issued ACU after their official adoption. Here's my assessment:

Good
    -The pockets are substantially better than on the old BDUs.
    -The uniform is considerably more comfortable than the BDUs.
    -It isn't too hot in the summer or cold in the winter, plus it dries out fast.
    -Easy to change patches, such as rank.

Bad
    -It doesn't look professional, since it always looks wrinkled and sloppy. No starch, etc.
    -Patches wrinkle and look bad after just a short while
    -Stains really show up since the color is so light.
    -airborne, drill sergeant, and all those patches cannot be sewn on. On heavy metal pin-on insignia is allowed (which makes the uniform sag and looks like crap)
    -The rank insignia is covered up whenever carrying a rifle with sling.
    -The stitching is very low-quality, so the seams burst on the pockets, crotch, seat, etc.
    -The camoflage doesn't blend in with ANYTHING. British Lobsterback uniforms would probably hide you better

3. I really like, how the pockets are set up on the ACU's they are in the right places. Far as looking un kept, I haven't had a problem with mine, I do toss em in the Dryer to remove the wrinkles though. Yes they dont really blend with anything, but again that whole pixel cammo, has to do with breaking up night vision devices, dont know how great it does that. I like em.

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I have to say, if you dont think they blend in with anything, you've never seen them in the woods. They beat the piss out of woodland BDU's.

That said, I love mine, I haven't had any stitching burst, or have a problem with staining them. Everything washes out of mine, and they come back looking new each time. However, some other guys have had issues with them ripping pockets and stuff. I guess I'm just luckier than them.

Oh, and so no one can say it, I work on blackhawks for a living, so yes, they do get beat up quite a bit.

5. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    The stitching has been improved on the new ACUs. I just got a new pair and it looks good so far. The old ones make us look like dirtbags.

The ACUs didn't blend into the desert (Qatar, Kuwait, southern Iraq, Mojave), nor semi-arid regions (Irrigated land around the Euphrates), nor in swamp or pine forests (Ft. Stewart). Maybe it blends in some woodland, but not where I've been. However, the uniform does disappear against a gravel background. Maybe the army thinks we'll be fighing in American/European city rubble (Iraqi buildings are brown, not grey)? It also isn't bad at night (with night vision, not thermals), but that is dependant upon the pattern, not the colors. The colors could be changed without affecting night vision protection.

The velcro on the pockets is pretty nice. It holds up well and provides a good seal, on all except the thigh pockets. The infantry and cav scout types aren't particularly enamored of it, since it isn't exactly quiet, but I haven't had any problems.

Overall, I think it is a good uniform, but the idea of one camo pattern for all terrains doesn't really work. We ought to make woodland and desert-specific digital camo uniforms, like the Marines. Change that, and make a few other changes and I think you have a winning uniform. As it is, I'm not all that impressed.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I saw a few GIs with the outfit on. Coupled with the beret, the combo look just weird. It's like something out of Starship Trooper. The Mandarin collar really throws me off.

7. Black Tiger

Black Tiger

Mar 4, 2004
    Leesburg, FL
    Just noticed something that just floors me. THe US Army has not completely issued the ACUs to the troops and already thatre's a TV show where the "soldiers" are already wearing the ACU.

Is a new TV series on CBS called "The Unit" and all the characters are wearing their ACUs, I have been in the military for over a decade now and I have not gotten my own ACU issued yet.and already Hollywood "soldiers" are wearing them.

WTF, over? Heck, the US Marine charaters on the series JAG are still wearing woodland BDUs (and the MARPATs have already been in the system for a while).

Is it just me?

8. fxdwngflyr

fxdwngflyr NSDQ 92-03

Nov 20, 2005
    Where are you at now? If you are stateside it may be a while for you to get them.

Deploying units, some, are getting them. Guard/Reserve are getting them if they are funded.

Alot of stateside RA dont have them and wont be getting issued them.
    I bought my own from USpatriotstore.com in August. I have recently bought more from AAFES.

You will get a bigger clothing allowance, so they say.

9. Black Tiger

Black Tiger

Mar 4, 2004
    Leesburg, FL
    I'll believe it when I see it (on my LES).

Anyways, I am in the Reserves, stateside and I see some soldiers (mostly Field grade officers) already wearing theirs; and maybe the ocassional E-3 or E-4 (probably fresh out of AIT).

I could buy my own set, but I am not spending over $100 on a full set of ACUs, including regulation tapes, patches, boots, etc... for a uniform I'll wear once a month.

I did that once, with my dress greens; not anymore, brother. ;f

10. Sam White

Sam White I miss you bud Silver Member

Nov 17, 2001
    South Dakota
    Stateside Reserves here, too. I've seen the new uniform mostly on Sergeant Majors or officers Colonel and up, with the occasional PFC or SPC, as Black Tiger said. We're not getting them until 2007 unless something happens (our unit won't be deploying, we've got stateside stuff going on). I've already had to buy a bunch of stuff out of my own pocket that my unit won't issue (don't get me started) to me, so there's no way in hell I'm buying ANY ACU stuff until I absolutely have to.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of velcro-fastened name tapes and unit patches. I can see that they won't stick once the uniforms are a year or two old, although I could be wrong.

The uniform, to me, at least, stinks of "me too," in a time when the Army is trying to sell itself to the public. The uniform may be functional, but I think there's a pr element to it as well.

11. Avenger069

Avenger069 Signal Warrant

Aug 9, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I am in the Michigan Guard and since I won't get these issued to me I purchased my first two sets last month. So far I like them. The biggest thing I don't like is the pin on badges. As much as I hate to say it the jump wings may not make it onto this uniform.

12. fxdwngflyr

fxdwngflyr NSDQ 92-03

Nov 20, 2005
    I am not wearing any of my badges. A pain in the butt if you ask me. The subdued black wears off too quickly. My peers and Soldiers are always getting yelled at by me because they are "shining".

As far as the PR goes, you are correct. USAREC had alot to do with it. In fact all the recruiters should have been fielded first. They are slowly dripping down from there.

Yeah, I will believe the increase in the allowance when I see it also. But I sure as h*** claimed it on my taxes. I had over a thousand dollars worth of uniform expenses. Blues, Greens, ACU's, alterations, it really hit hard. Should set me up until retirement though.

13. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

Jul 4, 1999
    West Texas
    I think they look brokeback, my little brother just got home from basic and AIT ( Ft. Sill) and they are issuing them at basic now. But hey I still yearn for my "choclate chip" DCU's

14. ynot

ynot

Dec 5, 2004
    NC
    sorry to hear you guys have to spend your money on uniforms. seems the way things have changed in the military, i am glad i am an old coot and got out before all this new army of one stuff happened. funny the last few so called leaders of our country have been a draft dodger, an air national guard pilot who has yet to prove beyond any doubt that he completed his military service, and the self professed hero kerry, who came back from his short stay in viet nam and joined with jane fonda calling us baby killers, and criminals. boy talk about some leaders that set the example. oh well one thing we don't have to worry about, they might send the military to hell, but they definitely wouldn't lead us there themselves.

15. shinnix

shinnix

Dec 15, 2005
    GA
    All the Privates are getting them issued now at their Basic Training. I'm Regular Army at Ft Gordon. All the major installations' Clothing Sales are stocking them. Around here you are more likely to see ACUs than not. I'd say about 75/25 ratio, and growing.

I like them just fine. The pattern works pretty well against green, and I guess the absence of black is what makes them more effective. If they would've selected a darker green than the light sage green, it might not look so weird to some people. The digital pattern was first used by the marines, true, but they copped it from the canadians. I remember see Canadian LNOs as far back as 99 (IIRC) wearing their version.

Now I don't know if it's any more or less effective than the digital patterns, but the German's flectar camo looks the best to me.

16. 16vmkII

16vmkII Whipped

Aug 7, 2004
    PNW
    I'm on my re-issue. Pockets have ripped, drawstring's seem to break after about a month, some of the stitching rips like around the ass and sleaves, velcro doesn't stick as well as it did originally and the name tapes aren't sticking on the ends, only 1 style of hat and it's heavier than a normal summer pc.

They are more comfortable and if it's hazy/foggy and dusk or nighttime like it always is up here in Mosul, you can't see a person in them at more than 10m.

I give them a 7 out of 10.

17. sickofsand

sickofsand

Feb 12, 2006
    FT HUACHUCA, AZ.
    I am RA and had mine issued prior to deploying. I think the uniform itself is practical. I was issued the first kind though and all my pants faded after one wash. One thing I would like to see is using color unit patches in garrison.

18. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    You weren't issued both the patrol cap and boonie cap?

19. LanceS4803

LanceS4803

Oct 20, 2004
    AL
    You see a lot of senior NCOs and officers who were issued the ACUs to start the transition. Publicity.
    Stateside Reserve and NG will be the last to get them, except if you are heading overseas. You can sit and wiat, or buy your own. I have my 20 year letter and might just ride this last change out without adding more uniforms to an overful closet.

20. I strongly dislike the new ACUs. Don't camo to desert / urban environment and no branch insignia on officers doesn't help matters.