Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

New uniform rumors

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by Flinter, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Flinter

Flinter Hornady Fan

Oct 31, 2006
    Home, Sweet Home
    I've been hearing rumors, for what that is worth, about the Army adopting a uniform in the Crye Multicam pattern. I have heard this from 2 different supply sgts that I know. Anyone got any hard info on this or is it just soldiers wishing their uniforms would actually bend with their environs?
  2. xxiv

xxiv NRA Member

May 7, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Who knows, but ACU's need to go.

3. marchboom

Aug 18, 2006
    I agree. That ACU, with those Velco patches on the sleeves, is the worst looking uniform (US military) I've ever seen.

I guess each branch of the military hides in different surroundings. :supergrin:

The original Woodland camo BDU's are still the best.
  4. deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    They Army is definately in the market for a new uniform, again...The main issue is getting rid of the velcro...I mean, here's a great idea, let's put plastic on the uniform of a guy who is very likely to be involved in a vehicle fire or three...MedCom got real hot about that one from what I can tell on the sidelines..

I'm not really a big fan of the Multi-Cam, I think the idea that we can have one uniform for every environment is rediculous. The Marines have two very good patters (which the Army, in all it's wisdom, passed on)..We'll just have to wait and see what the next thing the Army makes us dump our mone on...Anybody bought their blues yet?

5. richard1

Sep 10, 2007
    I heard they were doing a redesign, changing pockets, ect. But nothing about a different cammo.
  6. 10-32

10-32 Here, hold this

Dec 16, 2005
    Under the radar
    MedCom isn't happy with the current ACU for a host of reasons, or atleast that's what I've heard.

From what I gather, MedCom was never asked for any input on the design or it's potential adverse effects on the Soldiers who would be wearing it. For one, not being able to roll the sleeves up is a real pain, especially to folks like us who may have to be hands-on with blood or other things you don't want to carry elsewhere. Then there's the potential for molten plastic everywhere, and the list goes on.

Personally, I think the velcro looks like crap. It's impossible to keep the ACU looking good with warped velcro patches, and the uniform wears out WAY too fast. Looking professional is all about how you carry yourself with this uniform, because the uniform itself looks silly at best.

I haven't heard anything about a uniform change, but it would be nice.
  7. Sapperstang

Sapperstang Paratrooper

Oct 19, 2004
    Maybe if they ditched the velcro and allowed soldiers to once again sew on their badges and patches it wouldn't be so bad.
  8. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    IMO the patches and badges (like ribbons & medals) should not be worn on a combat uniform. They should be reserved for the Class A's.
  9. xxiv

xxiv NRA Member

May 7, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    If they're sew on, then what's the problem.

If you want a patchless uniform, join the Marines. I personally liked distinguishing myself from other units/MOS's, and I was by no means a badge/tab chaser.
  10. OBird

Sep 27, 2004
    I too have heard this rumor, but with a 2011 deadline. If we went from ACU camo pattern to MultiCam, we'd go from one of the worst uniformed modern armies to one of the very best.

The only problem is, I'd have wasted all this money on ACU gear.
  11. deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    I'm still not convinced multicam is the way to go...Cyre has been developing it for a couple years now...Personally, I think we were doing just fine with BDUs and DCUs....

Everytime we turn around the Army has a new uniform of some type for us to buy...Anybody bought their ASU (think that's what they're calling it now?) yet? My As are still good for a couple years last I heard, so I'll stick with them till then..

12. nothing

nothing Advertisement

Feb 24, 2002
    Brandon, MS
    DCU's are terrible, especially in night ops. The glow emmitted from them makes you look like a giant shoot me beacon. BDU's do fine as long as you break the starching trend. I hate the velcro and zippers on ACU's, what's wrong with buttons? They are quiet and can be repaired in the field.

I will say ACU's work great at night. Very difficult to see, as a matter of fact when 4th ID replaced us we had to be extra careful not to run over them on the FOB at night. They would get lost since they were new and next thing you know they somehow managed to wander in between your track and ground guide.

13. I agree with you 100%!

Subdued sew ons.
  14. NIB

Jul 26, 2002
    Lost Angeles
    You won't see a change anytime soon cause that would confirm that someone royally screwed up or was bribed!

Multi-Cam is tons better then UCP, heck Multi-Cam even blends into UCP. Some guys have tried to look into the testing results that led to the adoption of UCP but are always hitting a brick wall, I wonder why they don't want to release the testing data.

On another board someone posted pictures comparing boonie hats in UCP, multi-cam, and woodland camo. The Multi-cam boonie hat blended in real well with the terrain while the UCP boonie hat lit up like a glow worm. Even the woodland camo boonie hat did better then the UCP hat.

I welcome the change in the pockets but the 6 miles of velcro and the zipper.....blehhhh!
  15. Ghost-1

Nov 21, 2004
    Yep ACU's are one of the biggest mistakes made since we had to start wearing the damn beret.
  16. xxiv

xxiv NRA Member

May 7, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    There's an entire regiment that agrees you should not be wearing "that damn beret", assuming you're talking about the black beret.
  17. Bravo 1

Bravo 1 Serious Infidel CLM

Sep 21, 2005

No doubt about that
  18. eodcole

Jun 7, 2007
    Hershey, PA
    I have no pity for you army folk. You guys have seen what the airforce is giving us? It's so bad Tiger Stripe Products(contracted for pattern development) has an apology on their website for what the airforce leadership chose. I've got a year left so fortunately I will not have to buy any of it. Maybe the generals in the airforce and the army that decided on these respective uniforms hung out?
  19. deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    It's a damned disgrace what the Air Force has done to that uniform. It was worn by the best we had during the Vietnam era, and has now been bastardized into that. Damned shame.

20. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

Jun 2, 2007
    Northern Illinois
    I'm glad I got out in the BDU/DCU era!! (01/04)

I am now in college but I tend to see a lot of the army's new uniform on ROTC jokers and recruiters-even bigger jokers!

My biggest drawback would not being able to sew badges on. I would just not wear any if that were the case! The rank not being on the collar bothers me as well.

Knowing the army, more than likely they will not change for awhile. They probably have contracts out there with different companies or what not.

Most of you should know that if it makes sense, the army won't do it!