Glock Talk banner

New Turkey Gun?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Roger C 
#1 ·
OK, guys, weigh in with your opinions on a new turkey gun. I just spent the weekend doing the Virginia Hunter Education class so that I can go after the feathery buggers, and I'm thinking of getting a new gun. I have an 870 right now that I use for everything shotgun-related. There seem to be a few turkey guns that are not on the top end of the price scale.

Any favorites out there?

#3 ·
Or

The rem 870 express in camo and with hi-glow sights and Xceleratoe sling w/Uncle Mike swivels , would run about $320-355 in my neighborhood. Top that off with a box of Remingtom Magnum turkeyr load or Hevishot and I'm sure that no Gobbler would live after being blast by such combo. ;f

Same SG can be reused for deer and other game.

#4 ·
There are a host of guns out there to be sure... but my 870 express magnum kills them just as dead as any of them... Not cutting any other gun down, to be sure. :) Just saying The one you got will work fine if you do your part. 2 3/4" shells are fine, don't let the 3" syndrome get ya. We use #6 winchester turkey loads, sometimes remington, and a modifed to x-full choke works great. But, it is fun to buy something new on the other hand.... :)

CanyonMan

G
#6 ·
You would be fine to keep the gun you have and justse the correct choke tube. Spend your time on practicing calls and listen too some tapes. Calling them in and being patient is the most difficult part. Make sure to have some full body camo too.

#9 ·
You might want to check out the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. I picked one up a couple of years ago with the ported barrel(24" I believe)in black for $249. With the stock turkey choke it will pattern reliably to 60 yds. on a Federal turkey target with a 3.5" shell using Remington #5 Hevi Shot.

Pat S.

#10 ·
the 870 you have will do the trick, but if you wanna up grade there are a host of guns capable as mentioned above. now when you say not at the top of the price range, im thinking not semi auto benelli, browning , or beretta prices. So i say get the benelli nova, yes the fore arm seems slightly shaky, it has no effect on shooting or hunting, the gun as all kinds of extras built in and 3.5 inch of course dont hurt.
kt

#12 ·
I would second the Benelli Nova. I bought mine for 300 bucks in the camo and it is the perfect turkey gun. Very ugly, but it does it's job well. Light weight gun, i throw in a 8 pound bag of shot into the shoulder to lessen the recoil if I'm patterning shells at the range. Those 3.5" tend to kick a bit. ;P It won't rust, shoots good patterns for me with Supreme 6's in 3.5" and a Trulock .660 turkey tube. I'll tell you how good she works on the real deal in about 21 days.

#13 ·
Originally posted by Pat S
You might want to check out the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. I picked one up a couple of years ago with the ported barrel(24" I believe)in black for $249. With the stock turkey choke it will pattern reliably to 60 yds. on a Federal turkey target with a 3.5" shell using Remington #5 Hevi Shot.
I recently looked at one of those at Dick's, similar price, available in camo. Looks like a good alternative to the $1000+ Rem 1100's, Benelli's, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.