New(to me) Kimber Classic Custom

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by GroovedG19, Aug 30, 2013.

1. GroovedG19

GroovedG19 Laguna Blue AP2

What's up GT. I've been away from here for a while on account of me being stationed at various posts and a couple of overseas tours.

Anyways, I've started a tradition. When I came back to the States from Afghanistan in 2010, I bought a Remington R1 1911.My first 1911. Shoots good. Combat accurate. Big white dot sights that are easy to see. Handles good. Feels solid. I keep it around for serious purposes.

I recently came back to the States yet again from another overseas tour. This time I picked up a used Kimber Classic Custom for a very attractive price. Even tighter lock up than the Remington. Less play. Feels even more solid. I suspect it will be very accurate.

Attached a photo of the Kimber and a family pic of my small but growing .45ACP's.

Thanks for reading.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!

Attached Files:

2. Congrats.

3. Nice looking pistols. Congrats on the new addition.

4. GroovedG19

Thanks. :cool:

5. Great pistols, congrats!

6. Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

7. GroovedG19

8. Nice pistol.

Congrats!

1911club#410

9. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

Very nice!

10. If it is indeed a Classic Custom you got a very early Kimber. Congratulations! The early guns were made with attention to detail and quality parts. No FPS. The early Kimbers are what jump started the semi-custom 1911 movement by offering on a stock gun what you had to send any other model off to a gunsmith to install. Everyone has copied them since.

11. GroovedG19

12. GroovedG19

I don't know how early. Serial in the 66000 range. I heard the pre series II Kimbers are the way to go and the price was more than reasonable.

13. I have one. You will be very happy with yours. It is my reference to determine if my shooting is me or the gun. The Kimber is extremely accurate and shoots superb, as 1911's do.

14. GroovedG19

I have the same feeling. It handles quite a bit more "heavy duty" and robust compared to the Remington.

15. Well, I have what is considered the worst of the Kimbers with an external extractor and Schwartz safety.....yet it's an excellent shooter, reliable and accurate over more than 2k down range. So yours should really be awesome.:supergrin:

16. GroovedG19

Man. I'm gonna have to look at more Kimbers. And other 1911's. Something in stainless or hardchrome...:supergrin:

17. I collect original Kimbers, mainly the rare ones. If you want a real sweetie to carry and shoot watch for a Pro SLE or it's son the Pro HD, either in stainless steel. If it has a roman numeral "II" after the name just pass.

#17 AZ Husker, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  18. GroovedG19

I don't have an interest in carrying nor owning a Commander size 1911 just yet. But that can change in the future.

I shot my buddy's Colt Rail Gun in .22LR. Sweet piece. Now that got me thinking, i DO need a .22LR :supergrin:

I also brought my HK USP45, R1 and Kimber out to the range. USP shoots perfect. Same for the R1. About 4 -5 failure to feed with the Kimber. I suspect that it is the old worn mag springs that came with the pistol. I am looking to get some Wilson Combat 47D, CM and Mecgar mags ASAP. No big deal. I have to keep on testing my Kimber until it is 100%.

I did cycle PMC fmj and Winchester Ranger 230gr through it. Ran fine minus those 5 FTF's.

19. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member
    CLM

That is a nice pistol, and I learned something about early Kimbers in your thread.

Thank you for your service - multiple tours !

20. GroovedG19

Hey sdsnet. You're welcome. It was a learning, growing, baptism of fire type of experience. In other words, my pleasure.