New to GT!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by NolePhin, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Hello,

I am new to these forums and I am also new to being a gun owner. I just bought a Glock 17 and I am just waiting for the "cool off" period to pick it up.

I've heard different opinions on this, just wanted to get yours.

The Glock manual says to clean the firearm before shooting it for the first time and then again right after your first shooting. Do you guys think it is necessary to clean the firearm before the first time you shoot it? A few people I've spoken to says it is not needed for Glocks being that they are so resilient.

Thanks in advance.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. :welcome:

3. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

:welcome: It wouldn't hurt to clean it and to check the pistol over before you take it out on it's first range trip. Be sure to make sure your barrel is clear of any obstructions as well.

4. Welcome to the forum!

5. :welcome:

I didn't clean my Glock 22 for the first time until it had a few hundred rounds through it. Now I clean it about every 750 or so. Can't tell you if that's the right answer or not, but it works for me.

6. RPVG

Since my job involves writing technical manuals, I usually follow a manufacturer's service procedures pretty closely. Having said that, I don't think you'll do any harm shooting it right out of the box.

Welcome!

7. janice6

Platinum Member

Welcome to GT.

8. Welcome from Florida! No need to clean it before shooting it

9. oily_oink

oily_oink ###########

:welcome: From Michigan!

10. Welcome from Arizona.