close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New to full power 10mm handloads

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by DarkShooter, Jun 26, 2012.

1. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    I saw diminishing return with LS between 9.0 - 9.3gr for 180gr, using CCI 350. I'd target 9.0gr essentially reserving 0.3gr for error which is unlikely to be > 0.1 gr.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Apr 13, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    In my experience with LS, there is a point of diminishing returns at 9.2-9.5gr when working up 180gr bullets ... and at 8.2gr-8.6gr with 200gr workups... You can get over the "hump" but none of us have pressure equipment so make your own deductions. :)

3. arthury

arthury

Nov 14, 2012
    One thing to bear in mind when exploring loads beyond the published max in manuals is to go back to the concept of the Pressure/Time curve; whereby the y-axis is the pressure and the x-axis is the time.

The curve of the powder with respect to a cartridge should be pretty similar under the same dimensions. Beyond the known peak pressure, things tend to be non-linear.

That's where things become hairy and unpredictable. So, be careful.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  4. gator378

gator378 Gator378

Jan 22, 2001
    St. Peters, Mo, USA
    For max loads get a good aftermarket barrel. I went through two glock barrels on my g 20. Finally got a Barstow and never had smiley since. Do not like Glock barrels or would use one. Better barrels out there

5. BenKeith

BenKeith

Mar 17, 2011
    I load Blue Dot with standard CCI primers and 180 grain Golden Sabers for my PD load. With the Glock barrel, they average 1260 fps, with the 6" LW barrel they average 1350 fps. I will not say how much Blue Dot because there's not a book in the country that's going to show a load with as much as I'm using. I also use a 22 lb spring with them. I've shot approx 100 of these loads, spread out over different temps and weather conditions and feel pretty confident they are good for a full clip if needed but it's not a load I would pratice with. I only load these in new brass and not sure how much the gun could handle it over the long term. Primer's and brass still look good after firing but they do have a little recoil.

180 is as heavy as I've loaded, so can't say for

6. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Apr 13, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    I'd say 11.2-11.5gr would make your stated vels... nice load.

7. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Just a guess, but I imagine that those loads burn pretty clean at those pressures. Blue Dot cleans up nicely the more you stoke the furnace. Pretty loud report too, I would bet!

I haven't quite worked up to your velocities, but I have fed my G20 quite a few 180 XTPs @ 1215 fps with Blue Dot. My loads were "on book" though. Nick is probably correct with his charge weight prognostication.

8. BenKeith

BenKeith

Mar 17, 2011
    You're good, ll.4. Going by pressure signs, or lack of, I might could go a little more, but why push it and beat the crap out of the gun. It that load won't stop em, I need a lot bigger gun, not just a hotter load.

Yes, they burn extremely clean. When I first started loading for it, I was told Blue Dot was a very dirty powder. I was actually suprised how clean it burns after reading all the comments about BD.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  9. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Apr 13, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    Agreed, find a load in your power range preference then re-work up the load for ACCURACY .. :)

10. Hi i have a question i have a new gen3 g20 (completely stock) i went to the range the other day with some reloads
    180g xtp's
    9.2g longshot
    Win brass
    Wlp primers
    They were moving at 1340fps through my crony 9.4g longshot gave about the same. 9.2 had no over pressure signs at all 9.4 had some scratches on the case and burr on the head were the extractor goes.
    Does this velocity sound right to you guys? Overpressure?
    I checked my chony with a known load and all was good.
    Thanks

11. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    That load runs quite a bit slower in my G20 (1180 fps), but it is otherwise a decent load with no indications of excessive pressure.

I wonder if you mean where the ejector goes? Scratches, nicks and dings are normal. A warm load smacks into the ejector pretty hard. The case then can bang the corner of the slide on its way out. A photo or two, or at least a bit better desription of the burrs and scratches can let us know for sure.

12. TDC20

TDC20

Apr 11, 2011
    I used 9.3gr with a CCI#300 primer and a 1.255" OAL and got around 1250fps with the stock barrel and a 22lb spring. So, you're definitely hotter with the WLP's and your lot of Longshot. You didn't mention your OAL, so that could have an effect on the velocity/pressure. The ejector burrs are normal when you've reached full power. I agree with what Taterhead said, I think it has more to do with slide velocity from hot loads than anything else.

Personally, I wouldn't go any higher with your lot of Longshot, since you are getting excellent performance where you are at. You may have to back off a little if you start seeing Glocksmiles.

I measure pressure using case head expansion. My somewhat arbitrary case head expansion limit standard had me stop at 1295fps from the stock G20 barrel, but with CCI#300 primers and my lot of Longshot. The powder charge was higher than yours.

13. Cool thank you guys for all the info my col is 1.250 i actually downloaded it quite a bit to 8.8g and a col of 1.255 i gotta make it out to the range here to try them. I wanted to keep the velocity under 1300fps 1240-1260 is actually what i was shooting for. I want to keep the gun stock except i have a 20lb wolff recoil spring comming in. I want to be able to shoot everything reliably.

14. Has anyone swapped out 180g xtp's for 180g gold dots using the same powder and charge etc... What were your findings? (I know i should always do work up.)

15. blastfact

blastfact

Aug 15, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I really need to get me some Long shot. I've pushed Blue Dot to it's max.

16. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
  17. gator378

gator378 Gator378

Jan 22, 2001
    St. Peters, Mo, USA
    It is just my opinion, but max loads I would use a fully supported aftermarket barrel. 200 gr XTP and 13.0 grains of AA#9 would smile in a Glock barrel. I never use a Glock barrel in my G20. Had too many smileys even with some factory ammo