close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New to AR's

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by JR45, Mar 18, 2012.

1. JR45

JR45

Nov 22, 2005
    CT
    I have the opporyunity to purchase a NIB POF-USA P415
    for $1,500 (2009 Build)

Is this a good deal?......Good 1st AR?...........Pros/Cons?

Thanks,
    John

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Honestly, I wouldn't go with a piston AR as a first AR. They come with their own unique quirks and issues, seperate from direct gas ARs. Plus, they use some parts specific to that brand of piston upper, and you will have to contact the manufacturer for replacements or spares.

If you're looking for a good rifle to learn the AR platform with, there are a lot of options out there for HALF that price, and you could spend the rest on mags, ammo, range time, optic, etc.

3. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    I have to agree with Plank. Piston AR's bring on a new set of problems. There is no standard for them in the industry, every manufacturer has their own setup. Some say they run cleaner. Well the fact is no they don't, the BCG may be cleaner but the piston system up front still has to be cleaned and lubed. Do they run cooler, yes at the BCG but are hot as hell up front. Piston sytems are also nose heavy. Don;'t misunderstand piston systems are coming along fast and will rank side by side with a direct gas soon but for a newbe I would K.I.S.S. and stick with a direct gas for now. Besides with all the money you can save buying a direct gas AR, you can buy extra ammo and practice. Good luck on your purchase.

4. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Take that $1500, get a Colt 6920, use the excess money on ammo, magazines, a class, and a copy of "Green Eyes, Black Rifles".

That's probably the best advice for anyone who is completely new to the AR-15 platform.

5. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Good advice so far. Or go cheaper yet with a Palmetto Arms or Smith & Wesson Sport and get even more ammo.

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Yes, that's a good price, if it hasn't been abused.

I'd get it. Don't let the others scare you with their own misgivings, the fact that it's a piston AR only means it will be easier to maintain.

7. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Not really. DGI AR just needs the BCG lubed. Piston AR needs the piston, system lubed (under the handguards) and will eventually need the piston head, gas cup, etc cleaned - again, under the handguards.

Plus, piston systems usually mean you have limited to 0 choice in changing rail systems after the fact - a bit of a downer for an AR newbie. Then there's the whole cost aspect.

8. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    I don't even care what logic was used in concluding a piston AR is easier to maintain than a DI AR.

OP: get it if you want. $1500 currently buys a lot of black rifle so I would consider doing some research and weighing your options carefully.

9. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Piston ARs don't get as dirty and hot.....pretty simple logic.

10. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Piston ARs (most) have an easy to disassemble and clean system. Most slide out for cleaning easily. Far easier than having to clean a filthy chamber upper/lower receiver from a DI system.

11. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    I cleaned my DGI AR last night for the first time and found it much easier than I anticipated. I have experience with the piston type so take it for what you paid for it.

Welcome, I am new to AR's too and bought a Colt LE6920. I love the platform. :cool:

12. Javelin

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    When I see a completely filthy chamber I more often than not see an overgassed AR.

But your DI AR can run filthy. Some quality ARs can push very high round counts being dirty. Like 10,000 and still function just fine.

Piston is a solution looking for a problem. If the OP wants a great piston rifle then I would steer him to an Arsenal SGL21.

13. Hmmmm.... My the barrels and piston housing on my AKs will burn you like a torch. That's pretty hot.

14. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    They get just as dirty and hot, just the filth and heat go to other places in the gun - often times right under your hands. A piston system isn't a magical black hole for heat and carbon residue.

Absolutely. if you want a piston gun, get something that was designed as a piston operation gun to begin with: AK, SCAR, etc.

15. JR45

JR45

Nov 22, 2005
    CT
    Thanks for all the great info!

I went with a new Windham AR15 Carbine!

Thanks again,
    John

16. pag23

pag23

Jul 28, 2008
    Eastern PA

This is good advice, but I would recommend looking at some of the other good AR manufacturers as well.

17. Javelin

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    :rofl:

Sent from my Fisher-Price phone
    [​IMG]