close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New to 1911's / TRP on the way

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by HomeLandPatriot, Nov 6, 2010.

1. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

Oct 24, 2008
    I haven't posted on glocktalk in a long time, but thought I'd share that I just joined the 1911 world with a SA TRP Service model, no rail and fixed NS.

Haven't received it yet from my FFL, but its on the way and I think I got a smoking deal, at least locally. Ended up $1400 OTD.

I've always said that I'll only buy high end quality pieces, and not being able to afford the relm of semi-custom on my salary, felt the TRP was a great starting point.

So anyway, just saying hi.

2. You won't be disappointed with the TRP. I have the Operator version with the light rail and it has been 100% reliable through over 1500 rounds. The front strap checkering is a bit harsh, but it serves my purposes well. It's also a tack driver.

3. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Jun 14, 2005
    Ohio for now
    My TRP is great. It has been 100% reliable since I got it, which I don't think I can saw for any other 1911 in it's price range I got. Accuracy is 2" and under from a bench at 25 yards. I really wonder if mine is typical and if so I think the FBI would of just of been as well served for $1000 less.

4. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Congrats! I love my TRP.

5. CigarheadRNB

CigarheadRNB Infidel Bastid

Jun 4, 2010
    NC
    I am confused by them, only because the always seem to be for sell with low round counts. A lot. But I know they are very nice.

I like the one I had, no rail, traded it unfired. Just like to carry concealed and it was more of a tactical gun to me. With the ambi safety and mag-well it's going to print a bit more.

But tactical pistol, OH YEAH, nice choice. And as long as you like your local I applaud you for supporting them, I will say I hope you didn't have to pay tax on top

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Now, I am confused. :dunno:

7. Why would you buy it and never fire it to only sell it???

8. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    I think people sell them with relatively low round counts is because they dump 1400 to 1500 in to them and then realize they could have had a semi custom for a little more and want to get rid of them before they get holster wear and high round counts, just a thought

9. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Congrats on a great 1911. :thumbsup:

10. BubbaShoots

BubbaShoots

Mar 15, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    You got a good one. My TRP has been flawless. It was my first 1911. It was so good, I am now addicted to 1911's...have 4 and saving for my next one. (Hey guys, don't laugh at my only having 4, even Bac n Quack started with only one.)

11. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan

Not me. I bought a TRP cause thats what I wanted. I will probably get a semi-custom (TRP Pro or Wilson Combat CQB, or both) some day but I won't get rid of the TRP. Holster wear? High round count? HA!! That just gives me an excuse to send it in for some customization. :tongueout:

12. How could you know if you like it if you never fired it? That's like having a favorite gun because you saw a picture of it in a magazine. Not nearly an accurate opinion.

13. Big_Drunk

Big_Drunk

Dec 28, 2009
    I agree!

14. TKR Reptiles

TKR Reptiles Thread Killer

Oct 19, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Good luck with it... My friend has had two high end SA 1911's... One of which is the TRP... They both had major issues... His TRP ran one mag fine and now won't shoot more than to rounds without horribly malfunctioning... He called Springfield and they told him to run 200 to 300 rounds through it because "the tolerances are too tight"... That is the biggest load of crap and worse customer service I've ever heard... I asked him if they were going to send him $100.00 to $125.00 worth of ammo they want him to shoot through it to fix they design mistakes...

15. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    You sure he doesn't own a Kimber? Doesn't really sound like a legit Springfield reponse going on all the first hand accounts posted here and other forums.

16. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I smell a troll.:clown:

17. CigarheadRNB

Jun 4, 2010
    NC
    Forgive me,
    I did not say I liked how it fired.
    I was not going to get in to that in his thread, I chose not to fire it and sell it, and that is as far as I will go being a gentleman. meant no harm commenting and this is what I meant by it. I never said I liked how accurate it was or that it shot well, I said LIKED IT.

I like the balance, the feel of the controls, they seemed well made and fit, the frame to slide fit was very good for a production firearm and I liked it but sold it without shooting it. The barrel and bushing were very nicely done fitting wise.

I only said that I see them for sell a lot because I don't think many people think like I do, knowing that, I see a lot of them for sale and most so far have been under 200 or even unfired.

I am glad you asked what I meant instead of just dismissing it?

Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  18. TKR Reptiles

TKR Reptiles Thread Killer

Oct 19, 2010
    Norman, OK

I am 100% sure it what it is... The first gun he had an issue with was a EMP 9mm, and they told him to send it in... The had it fixed and back to him in a week so that wasn't too bad... BUT the service he got with his TRP issue I think was ridiculous...

The exact words of the guy he talked to were "It probably just has really tight tolerance's. Oil it up really heavy and then run 200 to 300 rounds through it. I don;t care if it messes up every round, male sure you run the rounds through it. If you send it in all we are going to do is take it apart, lube it up, and run a magazine through it. If we have no issues we will send it back."

I am not trying to start problems, I am just giving my honest opinion... To me that isn't the best way to handle it... I will admit the gun itself looks really nice, and seems to be a really nicely built weapon.. That is enough tho to make me never own one...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  19. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Ya think? :dunno:

What is that compels people to voice an opinion when they lack experience? Hint: Ergonomics, accuracy, and reliability at the range is FAR more imporatant than fondling something at the door of your safe.

20. CigarheadRNB

Jun 4, 2010
    NC
    On finer tighter handguns
    that is actually good advice bud, Break in is required on most higher end tighter fitting frames.
    Over oiling it allows it to move, then you would run the rounds pending no jams, 100 of them, break it down, clean it very well, over lube it a bit again, 150 to 200 more, repeat with normal oiling, then you are going to know if your dependable with it.
    One mag means nothing. That advice is the same you would get from most higher end gun makers. There are a lot of factors in tighter slides that may not be seen until the oil is thicker viscosity due to the metal and dirt building up in it, it's like breaking in a car old school.
    You don't have ot do it any more, on production cars now. But metal to metal on a tight fit is going to remove metal. It's just fact. You would not see this as much on a Springfield GI or over half their models. But the TRP is fitted for longevity, if I can shake a 1911 and hear it, I don't want it, but that is personal opinion.

Wilson Runs 80 rounds at the factory before your gun leaves there. Some do one round, some do one mag, some do a checklist 200 items long, but the tight ones are done by man.

I have given and followed that advice on tight slides and always made it work out. Never had one I had to send back, Knock on wood