Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

New to 1911s, need help replacing FLGR

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by docbrazen, Jun 25, 2011.

1. docbrazen

Dec 30, 2008
    For some reason my FLGR mates with the frame. I just peered into the ejection port and it looks like the FLGR is flush and supported by the frame. I also just put together my gun with just the slide stop holding the barrel in place. When I slide in the FLGR to see the fitting, the FLGR never comes into contact with the barrel's lower lug, even when I move the barrel around.

Are STI's made different or is the GI guide rod supposed to act differently? My STI has a ramped barrel, perhaps that is why it is acting different? It doesn't seem like the guide rod is ever supposed to contact the lower lug.
  2. I'll clarify. I do my assembly method similar to how Hilton Yam shows here:'s-Guide.html

When assembling, the guide rod mates to the bottom of the barrel's lower lug. And when the slide is on the frame, and fully assemble w/ the slide stop, it will mate to both the barrel's lower lug and the cut out on the frame and dust cover area.

When cycling, the guide stays in place on the frame, and will ride along the bottom of the barrel.

3. Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    My Lawman came with STI Recoilmaster guide rod. I took that out and put in a GI set up. Not sure how the Recoilmaster would have performed but I prefer the GI set up :)
  4. docbrazen

Dec 30, 2008
    There is much for me to learn. Thank you.
  5. seems like a lot now, but it's not that bad. there's alot of knowledge here. simple things like taking the slide off, putting the barrel in place with the slidestop inserted and working the barrel in and out of battery shows you alot. helps you to understand whats going on that you can't see.