close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New surefire lights

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Jwatts02, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Jwatts02

Jwatts02

Apr 23, 2005
    IN
    I am in the need for a new light for duty (old dept required theirs back when I left) and was considering the 511 light for life, mid size. Then I stumbled onto he la police gear site and they had some new surefire rechargeable ones "coming in late '11". Any know where I can find out more? There is nothin on surefire's site.

Thanks

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. Just a thought, but unless you're looking for a small tactical light I'm a fan of a good, heafty, rechargeable light like the Streamlight SL-20X. They make for an excellent improvised impact weapon that is always in your hands and at the ready from dusk till dawn.

I know thats not exactly what you asked, just offering some food for though.

3. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I carry a Streamlight Stinger and a spare battery. I have a Surefire E2e and 6p, but my dept doesn't pay for CR123 batteries.

4. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I'm still an SL20 guy, albeit a polymer SL20 guy. We have the 5.11 LFL in our cars, and I actually really like it, but think the barrel is just a little thick and not grippy enough for my tastes. I would like to try the smaller LFL.

In belt/pocket sized lights:

Rechargeable: Streamlight Strion LED
    Traditional: Streamlight Polytac LED

5. If youre looking for a larger light, the 511 is awesome. I have one in my bag but I keep a strion and the new surefire g2x for when I forget the 511

6. I hope the Surefires do well. In 2000-01 we got some Surefire rechargeables in and they sucked. Problems recharging, over heating, bulbs going out or getting to hot. I thought it was sad, because their CR123 battery lights were awsome on our weapons at that time.

A few later a few people I knew tried them and they did not like their rechargeables either.

Maybe they have a winner now. I look forward to seeing how they do.

7. Ship A'Hoy

Ship A'Hoy Trigger Control

Feb 11, 2006
    Pa
    I love the SL Polytac LED. Small, and plenty of bright light.

I also carry a backup SureFire E1B.

For traffic I use a Streamlight Stinger DS LED with a orange cone.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  8. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

Feb 26, 2005
    Texas
    I worked with a guy that had a SureFire rechargable. It was a cool light, but the buld exploded one night on a traffic, and the woman that he had stopped thought they were being shot at.

He ditched the light after that.

9. spyd3r05

spyd3r05

Jul 25, 2008
    GA
    The small 5.11's are pretty nice, two of my squadmates have one.. I like it, again I also have a strion led which i like too. Both for all intents are the same brightness... the 5.11 is bigger but lighter than the strion (if i recall correctly.)

10. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  11. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey in ur rearview

May 26, 2005
    Upstate NY
    This won't work for the incan Surefire lights but if you have an E2DL or similar SF led light here's the solution I've found:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/6rcr123a-combo.html

Don't use these with incan SF lights or the bulbs will go *poof*

12. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Dog Lover

Jun 9, 2006
    North Alabama
    While I don't have a Surefire, I don't think that brand can be any better than Pelican. The 8060 and its smaller version the 7060 are just awesome. American Made and Lifetime Warranty, too! Unbelieveable run times for a rechargeable IMHO.

I have the larger 5.11 light and while I do use it every shift, I always grab the 8060 first. The 5.11 has a very diffused area of illuminated flood with no central hot spot which is good for some things and not so good for others.

The 8060 has a surgically precise white hot center with no dark spots, and a perfect circle of flood surrounding it. I've never seen another light like it anywhere. And is an excellent impact tool as well.

Would you like to see a beam shot of the two in comparison?

13. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    I am seriously disappointed by the lack of Surefire love in this thread. Didn't any of you get the memo? Surefire is the absolute best, and if you don't have 20 of them, you're no operator!

:tongueout:

14. Jwatts02

Jwatts02

Apr 23, 2005
    IN
    Well after hearing about the rechargeable surefire lights sucking the last time (must be why they stopped making them) I think I will pass on the fresh release ones. I have one of the eb1 backups and I carry it pretty much 24/7, it's great. I might have to check out the pelican, and a couple of the stream lights. I have played with a couple of the smaller stingers and didn't really like them.

15. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Dog Lover

Jun 9, 2006
    North Alabama
    Here are my three primary lights, with the full-size 5.11 UC3.400 Light in the center and the Pelican 8060 on the left. That's an O-Light M30 700-lumen on the right. All are good lights but of the three I really prefer the 8060.

[​IMG]

The 90-lumen LFL is good for room searches and close quarters because the other two are just too damned bright, plus the 5.11 light is more diffused and has an even flood from top/bottom, left/right.

If it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, I'll go ahead and say it:

Having one flashlight is nowhere near adequate, two is better, but still questionable.

While I'm at the extreme edge of having any common sense (with seven lights if you count a Streamlight Stylus in a breast pocket) I urge the OP to consider getting two distinctly different lights for everyday use.

16. Jwatts02

Jwatts02

Apr 23, 2005
    IN
    Right now I have the eb1 back up that I carry clipped in my left front pocket. I also have another surefire that uses cr123's that I can carry as a back up to a back up. I am looking for a primary light that is rechargeable, since cr123s get expensive after slot of use. I need to find a place with an inventory of lights to check out since the local shop only has 4 stocked.

17. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I might look into that. My E2E handheld and G2 that is mounted on my carbine are incadescant. My 870 foreend and 6p are LED. The 6p gets used alot, I might look into the rechargeables.

18. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Dog Lover

Jun 9, 2006
    North Alabama
    jwatts02,

Here are the beamshots I mentioned earlier. L-R is

190-Lumen Pelican 8060, rated for 6-hrs
    90-Lumen 5.11 UC3.400, rated for 1-hr
    700-Lumen O-Light M30, rated for 1.5 hrs

[​IMG]

Each has it's strengths and weaknesses, as does Surefire, Fenix, MagLight, Streamlight, etc. Nothing is perfect and a lot just comes down to personal preference.

19. Jwatts02

Jwatts02

Apr 23, 2005
    IN
    That pelican looks like it has some throw to it. After looking at it, I like how if it dies, you can throw in some C batteries and you are good for another 6 (some say 11) hours. Do you know if they make the traffic wand adapters for the 8050?

20. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey in ur rearview

May 26, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Theres always led drop-ins for the G2. I have led drop-ins for my G2, G2Z, and 6P. Solarforce or dealextreme have them for <$20