close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Springfield XDS review

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Scott3670, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Scott3670

Scott3670
    Expand Collapse

Well I got my Springfield XDS and had a chance to shoot it today before the rain really hit. Anyway, I'm not the best at writing reviews but here goes.

Initial thoughts
    This gun was really tight upon initial disassembly. It wasn't really soaked in grease but still required a good cleaning. And when I shook the gun there was no rattle. Overall, I was very impressed with this gun. And FWIW I got the "range kit" which included a kydex holster, two-mag holder, extra backstrap, extra insert for the fiberoptic site, and two mags. Not a bad deal at all.

Disassembly
    This gun breaks down kind of like a SIG would. The only real differences are that the takedown lever swings UP instead of down, and in order to fully remove the slide you have to pull the trigger. This was a bit counterintuitive at first but I quickly got used to it. One thing that needs to be stated here is that when the takedown lever is in the "up" position you cannot insert a magazine into the gun. I think this was done for safety reasons, and I have no problem with this.

Range time
    My first thought was that this little gun would kick hard and that shooting it a lot would suck. However, I am happy to report that this gun was a joy to shoot.

I shot 100 rounds of Winchester white box 230 FMJ from Wal-Mart. The gun functioned absolutely flawlessly and the recoil was much better than I expected. I shot at 7 yards and had no problem keeping my groups at less than 2 inches. After the first 100 rounds I shot 20 rounds of 185 grain Gold Dot and again the gun functioned perfectly, and the groups were only marginally larger.

About the only issue worth mentioning is that my weak hand thumb kept rubbing against the takedown lever. This is just because of the position of my hands and has no bearing on the gun itself. I think that if I just work on my grip then this won't be an issue. And even after 120 rounds my thumb was only moderately sore. No big deal.

Final thoughts
    Will this gun see any time as a carry gun? Oh heck yeah, and I think it's safe to say that I'll fell just fine with the gun and 1 or 2 extra mags with me. This gun is very light and very thin so concealing it will be quite easy. I would definitely recommend this gun for anyone who is looking for a small 45 for concealed carry. Naturally ymmv.

Eye candy
    No review would be complete without the obligatory picture. Enjoy, and thanks for reading my review.

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. carbuncle

carbuncle
    Expand Collapse
    is not cool.

Good review, thanks for sharing that. I love the look of the XDs, definitely need to rent one!

3. RYNOCG201

RYNOCG201
    Expand Collapse

Nice review and nice gun! Thanks!

RYNOC

4. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean
    Expand Collapse

Congrats, Scott! Glad to see that all went well for you for its maiden voyage out to the range.

The "guns and booze" reference also made me smile! That was an excellent thread :supergrin:

I have recently picked up (finally!) an XD-S, and one of the guys from XDTalk recommended this for me:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Springfield_XDs_45ACP_7rd_Extended_Magazine_XDS500_p/xd-s50071.htm

They do not mess around--I got the box for these on my front porch yesterday, along with some extra mags for my Ruger SR-22. Top notch place to deal with. Just thought I would pass along the good info for you.

5. houseflipper

houseflipper
    Expand Collapse

I'm still deciding between the XDs and the S&W Shield. And don't say get both, I'm out of safe room.

6. yellolab

yellolab
    Expand Collapse

I like my xds much better than my g36

Kevin

7. 45caldan

45caldan
    Expand Collapse

I handled one the other day and got the distinct impression that the trigger guard would bother me/irritate me when shooting.
    Do you find this to be true in any way?

8. Scott3670

Scott3670
    Expand Collapse

I had no issues with the trigger guard. This gun felt really good in my hands.

9. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Congrats! :cool:

10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Would like to see some chronographing of rounds from this little bulldog.

11. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the order. Glad the speedy shipping was to your satisfaction :supergrin:

We've been getting XDs' and 7rd XDs mags in as fast as we can get em. None of us here at the store have gotten the chance to shoot one yet unfortunately, as they sell too fast. These things are very cool!

#11 JoeBobOutfitters, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  12. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

Congrats! I can't wait to check one out in person. :cool:

13. AKRover

AKRover
    Expand Collapse
    10MM Fanatic

I'm seriously thinking of delaying my next 1911 in favor of the XDS. I think this would be an excellent gun in an ankle holster as a backup gun or when carrying my Delta Elite is impractical.

14. MisterEngineer

MisterEngineer
    Expand Collapse

Definitely an amazing gun. Picked one up 2 days ago. I agree that it is very pleasant to shoot, I enjoy it more than my G23. I mean, you can tell that it's a 45, but it has very manageable recoil.

I actually replaced my G26 with the XDs and am very happy so far.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. Scott3670

Scott3670
    Expand Collapse

I like my XDs so much that I'm giving serious thought to picking up and XDm in 45. I'm planning a trip to my lgs tomorrow to evaluate this pistol. Who knows? Maybe I'll have a new addition to my gun safe tomorrow.

16. bandit99

bandit99
    Expand Collapse

Looks real nice. Any idea how often the recoil spring has to be changed out?

17. coachg

coachg
    Expand Collapse

Glad I saw the link for the 7 round mag. Just ordered one. I bought one about 2 weeks ago to use to mold for holsters. I will be carrying this one quite a bit. Slightly smaller than the PPS.

I have nice slim holsters available for it.

www.pjholster.com

18. dnuggett

dnuggett
    Expand Collapse
    PRO 2A

Congrats! After approx 1000 rounds, I really like mine. Be sure to clean it if you plan on carrying. Mine went about 400 rounds of reloads before it started choking. Oh and the extended mags make the grip terribly long, there is a bunch of wasted space.

19. dnuggett

dnuggett
    Expand Collapse
    PRO 2A

About 40 fps off of the XDM for 230 Ranger +P. High 890's.

#19 dnuggett, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  20. dnuggett

dnuggett
    Expand Collapse
    PRO 2A

I don't either. People with Hulk hands have complained about slide bite though. I've never had this issue and my hands are prob a little larger than average.