close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Sig P226 Mk25 having rust issues?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by TalkToTheGlock, May 18, 2012.

1. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Zombie Hunter

I've been contemplating picking up the new MK25 to go along with my older German P226's and did a google. I found a thread on another forum regarding rust issues with the spring in the grip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, from my understanding Sig did fix this for the guy. The date on the box was March 18th and he bought it April 3rd or so.

I'm sure this was either a messing when coating the spring with the phosphate or they used an older spring from a non-Mk25.

In any event it is disheartening to hear that a $1,000 firearm can come from the factory like that.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
    Expand Collapse
    Beretta 92 Nut!

Over the past couple of years - I have been seeing a lot of rust complains on Sig pistols

3. bunk22

bunk22
    Expand Collapse

I know of at least two Sigs without issues, including rust, my Sig 226 Navy and 2022 :supergrin:

4. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

Dont let that one picture influence you too much. Sig is making a quality firearm. My most recent Sig is a December 2010 P220R and it has been perfect from day one.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45
    Expand Collapse

Phosphate has never been a very good firearm coating. Just because it's "Navy Seal Spec" doesn't make it good. There are dozens of better finishes for rust prevention. Just wait til Sig brings out the next super ultimate version of their 30 year old 226.

6. TSAX

TSAX
    Expand Collapse
    USAF Vet

Sig makes great pistols and the P226 is one of them. However recently Sig has had complaints on a variety of things like rust. Not on all guns but enough to make some hesitant like whats happen to the Gen 4 Glocks for some people. This is primarily a Glock site so you dont hear about it as much.

Some/Many people have not had issues with the new Sigs but the Sig P250 (they have since slightly changed/make a new version) and a few recalls in other pistols are just a few examples of some issues.

I would buy a Sig but if something did arise I would be surprised but I would hope Sig takes care of the issue. If you bought a brand new one chances are it'll be fine.

:50cal:

7. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Zombie Hunter

I will probably still buy one. But it will be the outcast of my German beauties. I think I'm in love...

8. Sgt127

Sgt127
    Expand Collapse

I think that spring fell out of the hopper on the "rinse and oil" treatment after the parkerizing. Somebody picked it up, went back into the finished batch and got installed.

If thats the only thing wrong with one gun out of a couple thousand that week, well, it happens.

9. fowler

fowler
    Expand Collapse

Bought 4 new sigs in the last two years and there perfect inside and out. New Sigs all new parts no rust or defects,just %100 reliability and fit and finish top of the food chain. Our local gunshops can,t keep the MK25's in the store . They sell as fast as they come in for near $1000 of perfection ,gone out the door. You snooze you lose one of the best combat 9mm's out there and considered the best by many.

#9 fowler, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  10. Kimura

Kimura
    Expand Collapse

Sig did take care of this for him. IIRC he posted the pictures before he contacted Sig. When he did, most of us said to call them. It's unfortunate, but not catastrophic. If I wanted a MK25, I wouldn't let this deter me from buying one. They paid for him to ship the gun back to them and they did some extra work at no cost to him. While it's unfortunate that it got by QC in the first place, you really can't ask much more of them.

My personal opinion is if I owned an NSW serial numbered P226 and one of the last version of the P226 Navy, and both were still in the box unfired, I might consider buying one to complete the set as a possible future collecter set. However, other than that, I'm not sure why I would choose this over any other P226. Of course just wanting one is a good enough reason in itself.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

Don't buy American-made SIGs, problem solved.

12. Sendarr

Sendarr
    Expand Collapse

I have German and American made sigs, and never a problem out of any of them. Even the p250.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

I also have American SIGs. They sit in the safe because I don't trust them.

14. fowler

fowler
    Expand Collapse

You get alot of people who have sticker price shock that will knock the better best made pistols like the Sig ,because they won,t belly up and pay for the best. You hear alot of excuses like Colt AR,s are no good,HK stink,the old ones are better and Brownings are overpriced . You pay you play or just stick with old worn out cheap guns. I,ll take a new USA Sig everytime over a older Sig German made used or surplus older weaker inferior generations. A new MK-25 is on my nitestand and holster.

#14 fowler, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  15. Sendarr

Sendarr
    Expand Collapse

:upeyes: :shakehead:

Then why have them? I think I've seen your "germany>exeter" comments before. If you don't like them then why not sell them and use the cash for something you trust and like? Just curious.

#15 Sendarr, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
  16. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo
    Expand Collapse

Can I have them?? I'll pay the importing fees and licenses and give them a new home.

17. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

No kidding, I'll take them. I have three US made Sigs and they have all been great and have a high round count.

18. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

I have my Sig pistols at the range weekly many times in the rain, snow, sometime even mud and I've never had one rust or corrosion issue to speak of.

I say it's just a defective part. It does happen from time to time. It's the exception and not the norm with Sig.

19. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

There isn't anything wrong with the American made Sig's.

It's all in your head.

:faint:

20. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

I guess if you listen to enough BS on the internet you'll eventual start to believe it.

Sad. :shakehead: