close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New - Saying Hi with Question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jr05, Nov 28, 2011.

1. jr05

jr05

Jun 9, 2007
    First off, I am new to reloading (haven't even gotten my setup yet, getting it for Christmas). Just thought I would stop in and give a preemptive "HI"

Also, I am getting some supplies so I will be set when the press gets here (lee classic turret with lee 4 die carbide 9mm set). I will be loading 9mm to start and am going to start with:

124gr Montana Gold FMJ
    Titegroup or Universal Power
    WSP Primers
    Free Brass (I have saved for a few years...)

I am getting the hand prime system and the auto disk powder measure (maybe get the safety prime later, but hear it is a hassle). I will be getting a primer pocket tool, scale, and a tumbler with media. Are there any other necessities I should get so I don't end up needing something and can't load until I get it (besides manuals, books, etc? I have been reading those already)? Do I need a case trimmer?

2. rg1

rg1

Aug 5, 2003
    Kentucky
    You don't need a case trimmer for 9MM. If you load for rifles or straight walled pistol cases like .357 or .44 Magnum where even roll crimps are needed then you will need a case trimmer. Not familiar with Lee equipment. You will need a caliper to measure things.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

3. ColoCG

ColoCG

Mar 18, 2011
    Colorado
    You will need a set of Calipers (dial or digital) to measure oal of catridges and diameters,etc. Also the Lee safety prime is no hassle and works very good and faster.

Also welcome to GTR.

4. jr05

jr05

Jun 9, 2007
    Calipers! I knew I was forgetting something.

I do plan to load 45ACP and 5.56 down the road but not right now. I will save the case trimmer for when that time comes.

As far as the safety prime goes, maybe I should switch out the RCBS hand primer I was going to get, and go with the Safety Prime?

5. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    An early welcome to the wonderful world of reloading! Christmas will be exciting. See above on gear and, if by primer pocket tool, you mean something to clean the primer pocket, you can live without that (I have for 30 yrs). As you probably already know, keep an eye open for sales and buy everything in bulk to minimize component costs.

6. jr05

jr05

Jun 9, 2007
    I do plan to buy in bulk as much as possible (might start with 1lb of powder though to make sure I like the powder I choose).

Based on the prices for the components (and qty) I am looking at, I can load for about $12/100. Does that seem reasonable? It certainly does for me since I am spending about $23/100 for factory and shoot about 2-3k rounds per year.

7. creophus

creophus Born Again

Mar 18, 2005
    Florida
    Welcome to the hobby. Get dial calipers. I know digital might seem better, but trust me, get dial and you'll never be without calipers when your battery dies.

8. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Sell your wife on the black market, put your children up for adoption and buy a flat screen for your loading room... no sense in delaying the inevitable.

Oh, and perfect the technique of midnight wheel weight stealing... er, scrounging.

Jack

9. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    There are a few folks in this group who might suggest that you not use Tite Group (#12 in table) as one of your first powders. That same admonition might apply to any of the 'fast' powders including Bullseye (#6).

Those same folks would probably recommend something like Unique (#35 in the table) or, probably better, WSF (#47).

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Besides burn rate, there is the issue of bulk (a double charge of Unique will be VERY noticeable) and the type of powder granule as it affects metering (Unique might not meter as well as WSF).

Before you settle on a powder, I suggest you ask around for powder suggestions that might be appropriate to a first time reloader. FWIW, I'm not the one to ask...

Richard

10. ColoCG

ColoCG

Mar 18, 2011
    Colorado
    You might want to look at: http://kempfgunshop.com They have a package with options on the LCT and accessories at good prices. I would go with the safety prime and it can be included in their package.

11. ColoCG

ColoCG

Mar 18, 2011
    Colorado
    I agree I would go with Unique or WSF for 9mm, for a newbie just starting out or anyone for that matter.

12. creophus

creophus Born Again

Mar 18, 2005
    Florida
    I started with Titegroup in ...38spl. There sure isn't much powder in the bottom of the case. If that's a concern, then definitely go with a slower, more voluminous powder.

I went Titegroup because the value was much higher.

13. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence

that's about right. I'm loading both 9mm and .40 at about 13.3 and 13.6 cents a round.

Here's a good reloading spreadsheet to figure out costs.

http://westernsafellc.com/Reloading.xls

Greg

14. jr05

jr05

Jun 9, 2007
    Well, you have convinced me to go with WSF for my first powder... I will most likely still go with 1lb though just to get a feel for it. That should get me through quite a bit of rounds anyway!

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Man, I was hoping you'd get a tongue lashing from Fred... :rofl:

Seriously, good choice switching from TG for your first go around (IMO).

Happy loading :)

16. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    Welcome. I have been loading on a classic turret press for five years, great press. These are my recommendations. Get the pro auto disk instead of the regular auto disk. I personally wouldn't load on the CT without the safety prime. It has worked near flawless for me and you will slow you production rate way down without it. I also recommend a dial caliper, just as fast and easy to read and always ready when you need it. I think the best deal is the kit at www.kempfgunshop.com with the safety prime and pro auto upgrades.

17. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Indy, it's after Thanksgiving, how come that stupid penguin isn't wearing a Santa hat? Flatlander scrooge.

Jack

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Welcome.

Get the Kempfs kit. Add a Dillon Scale for $55. Buy some Harbor Freight Dial calipers. Wash the brass and let it dry between now and Christmas. Titegroup is a nice powder with a couple people on this forum who HATE IT. 231 would be another good options as would WSF. Unique meters poorly. Newbies tend to be anal about "just the right charge" so I would choose WSF over Unique. WSF is probably your best choice. Universal is made under 3 names. Be very careful which one you are looking at.

Don't hand prime for 9mm. Total waste of time. Some people complain about the Safety Prime. Remember A LOT of the feedback you read online is about the regular Lee Turret. NOT the LCT. Also, it's very easy to adjust and tune the safety prime. If it's problematic you just add a washer under it to raise it up a smidgen. Simple. Get the LCT kit from Kempfs with the safety prime. Don't assume it won't work. I have never had one that didn't and I have owned two. There is a little bit of a learning curve but it's not bad. Here is a video of my fat arse using a LCT with the safety prime.

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/?action=view&current=LCTVideoBetter.mp4

You don't want a case trimmer for 9mm

19. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    You can get factory load data here:
    http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Select Load Type = Pistol, Cartridge = 9mm Luger then click Get Data
    Select Bullet weight = 124, Powder = WSF then click Get Data

You will see load data for the 124 gr FMJ with powder charges of 4.7 to 5.3 gr of WSF. The minimum load will just make the IDPA requirement of 125 PF (bullet weight in grains times velocity in FPS).

It's a place to start... Verify the numbers because I am getting old and my typing sucks.

Richard

20. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    :agree:
    But I would get digital calipers. Just buy extra batteries, and then when it goes dead replace the battery, and when the next time you go to the store buy another battery. I have both and don’t even bother with the dial anymore. Digital are so much nicer.

:welcome: