Glock Talk banner

Deprime them first

NEW Rotary Tumbler

927 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  unclebob 
#1 ·
ok wife bought me a new wet Rotary Tumbler kit with stainless steel Pins . so with that being said do I need to remove the Deprime them before tumbling them .
also I know its a Frankford Arsenal kit but other than the stainless steel is there a better cleaning solution than the factory solution. thanks

#2 ·
Sometimes I deprime first sometimes not rifle I do volume pistol most likely not. The frankford arsenal solution that comes with the kit works great but nobody local has it and I am too lazy to order it online so I use 1/2 teaspoon lemishine and 1tablespoon of a car wash soap with wax (prevents oxidation of the cases). It does not work as well as the frankford solution but it is nearly free and works better than anything else I have tried (ultrasonic, walnut shell,or corncob) I use a rcbs media separator full of water to sift out the pins and a harbor freight dehydrator to dry.

#4 ·
Wet clean I deprime.i also use the lime shine and car soap with wax. For drying either I put them on a towel in the sun to dry. Or I put them in the cloths dryer on to the the drying rack on high for 30 minutes in a mesh bag.
If you don't deprime first the old primer could hold water. Plus one of the advantage of wet cleaning is it cleans the primer pocket also. Does that make any difference? Problem not.

#5 ·
The FART is a great bit of kit. Got one myself. Take you wife out to dinner!

I DO deprime first (but I also did when I used a vibratory tumbler). It allows the cleaning process to clean the primer pockets. Pin tumbling does a GREAT job of cleaning the pockets.

For a cleaning solution, 1/2Tsp of Lemishine (Walmart dishwashing soap aisle) and a capful of Car Wash with WAX (Walmart car care aisle). I find it works as well as the FA stuff (which I'm told is basically citric acid). One of the nice things with the FART (and other tumblers) is that you can run it with or without pins. With pins you get a better shine; but you have to separate the pins afterwards. Without pins, you still get a good shine (it takes a bit longer); but you don't have to separate the pins (just put in the strainer cap on both ends and rinse, Rinse, RINSE).

#6 ·
I do and I don't.

If you want to look at the primer pockets or photograph them, then clean them.

If your loading pistol ammo for general use on a progressive just clean them with the primers in. You won't be able to tell the difference when your done and you loaded them with half the work to boot.

#7 ·
Wet cleaning with steel pins will polish the primer pockets, too, without clogging the flash-hole as dry material often does. Use some LemiShine in the fluid, too. It's available at most Wal-Marts.

#12 ·
I deprime all my .223 cases before wet tumbling. I just did about 5K cases in the last week, progressively on the XL650 with just a Lee universal depriming die on a spare toolhead. After I was done the press was pretty filthy, so I gave it the complete top to bottom clean, preventative maintenance and lube. Ready to load for the winter.

#13 ·
Even if I’m going to wet clean. I run the brass through the walnut, corn cob,50/50 mix Nu- Finish car polish and mineral spirits, dryer sheets. And lately have add steel BBs to the mix. Then run them through the 650 with the universal depriming die. The 650 and case feeder makes short work of the process and the press is not all that dirty. I also every couple of hundred pieces of brass blow the shell plate with can air.
I only wet clean brass for match ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.