close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New rifles at work

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by NCGunner, Jan 11, 2011.

1. NCGunner

NCGunner Millennium Member

Nov 27, 1999
    North Carolina
    My agency, a small 20 man department (including reserves ) is apparently looking to supply all full time officers with patrol rifles. This in itself is good for obvious reasons...However...here is the hitch.

The rifle in question is the Rock River LAR40..a .40 caliber AR type rifle. I know nothing of these rifles...good or bad. Does anyone have any first hand dealings with them??

Our firearms instructor does not want to issue .556 caliber weapons for whatever reason...I know..I know...I've argued it till I'm blue in the face, but I am glad we will maybe get new patrol rifles. I just don't want to be saddled with a crappy weapon that will be more trouble than it's worth.

Any usefull info would be greatly appreciated.

2. What an odd choice. Sorry, no experience with that particular weapon, but in general RRA are a little overpriced for what they are.

In out of curiosity.

3. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    Rock River makes a great rifle. Stake the keys a little better than the factory does and you'll never have a problem.

ETA: The 40 cal thing makes zero sense to me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  4. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Im guessing your handguns are .40cal? I dont get spending the money on something that has a chance of being less reliable and issueing it to people whos life may depend on that weapon functioning correctly. Does he think it will be better in the long run to be able to use the same ammo in both firearms? Maybe you should send him over to the .net for some Q&A w/ other LEO types.

5. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    Makes no sense to me either??
    Regards
    DW

6. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Look around and find the over penetration studies. .40 is a WAY worse offender than 5.56. Maybe you can show him the studies and then pull the, "now that you know about it you're liable" argument.

As for RRA I've owned a couple and thought they were pretty marginal. You're 10x better off just going to BCM.

7. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    The decision to use a pistol caliber in a carbine intended as a patrol rifle is idiotic. As a plinker yeah ok, I could see it. But as a serious defensive rifle? Makes absolutely zero sense.

8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Exactly.

PM me, i can hook you up with some guys who've had to *****slap their "firearms instructors" with the FBI findings, etc.

9. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    My thoughts as well. Too bad he won't change his mind.

10. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  11. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    They need some Beretta CX4's if going .40........my .40 is 100% and very reliable and ergonomic and also black. I do consider it a 50yd carbine and nice for close-in work. TAP ammo in a 556 carbine is more of a 100yd rifle, Mike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

Jul 25, 2006
    the woods

13. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    As a Firearms Instructor, that idea is a great one. The liabilities involved are HUGE in this type of thing. Write up a memo, include the documentation and send it to him, while keeping a copy with the date you sent it to him...

On the other hand, it could very well backfire on you and you'll end up with nothing (don't ask me how I know that :crying: )

As for RRA, there isn't really a problem with them, good weapons. And if you HAVE to take the .40cal version, it is certainly a lot better than nothing.

14. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Great idea.

Why not? The cowboys did it with their .45LC. They had their pistols and rifles chambered for the same round. How can old, out dated reasoning be wrong? :upeyes:

15. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Fortunately we have better technology than the cowboy's. For most LEO's who work in an urban environment the 5.56 is a better choice than .40. I would pick up a shotgun over a .40 rifle.

16. gh0st614

gh0st614

May 4, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Yea I would rather have a shotgun than a pistol caliber carbine too, thats just dumb as hell. 5.56 is way superior

17. rkwrichard

rkwrichard

Mar 15, 2009
    Deep South
    You must have a non gun person making choices for you. Try to talk them into going with 5.56 or letting you carry your own gun..

18. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Going with a .40 pistol round is ridiculous. That is what you have a .40 pistol for. A patrol rifle is used when you need more that your pistol. That is where the 5.56/.223 round comes into play. This is why most every LE organization uses it in their patrol rifles. It is a rifle round and designed to reach out and touch someone when your pistol cannot do it effectively. Your firearms instructor needs to wake up, smell the coffee, and get with the program. Sounds like someone with more common sense needs to be making the decisions.

19. MisterPX

MisterPX Guest

Might be related to a budget issue. I'd also rather have 40sw rifles than none at all. A rifle will be easir to make accurate shots than a pistol, especially when all hell breaks loose.

Anyhow, OP, don't take this the wrong way, but I "plan" to fight another "me". In your situation, you and your dept. should plan to fight "me" as well, for a worst case scenario type thing. I understand that a lot of cops end up shot with their own weapon, thus that may be some of his reasoning behind using 40sw rifles, however, what if a drugged up/ drunk/ nothing to lose/ suicide by cop MisterPX wanders around your town? 40sw will not penetrate my soft body armor, remember the N. Hollywood shootout?

Anyhow, curious as to the guys reasoning behind 40sw rilfes.

ETA: Based on your manpower, you are a samll town. Never ever disillusion yourselves, teh crime that happens in a big city happens in a small town, although at the same percentages, so while it may seem that you don't have any "serious" crime, eventually, it'll happen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
  20. GroundedCLK

GroundedCLK

Dec 29, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Are all your handguns issued in .40s&w?

I guess I am the only one who agrees with his choice.