New Rifle Options: SGL31 or LE6920?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Aglockalpyse Now, Dec 10, 2013.

1. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

:agree: Chalk another one up for the Colt.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I hear ya, but is that 14 cents a round 5.45 highly corrosive to the barrel and gas tube?

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

I have no use for a Commie gun.

4. Yea, that stuff thats 14 cents a round is corrosive. Its fine if you can clean it after every trip to the range. But why buy a $1100 AK to shoot corrosive ammo through?

5. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

I would STRONGLY caution you about using either as a "bump in the night" HD weapon!!! Both the AK and AR will penetrate interior walls, which is NOT what you want to happen, and the AK (in 7.62X39) can penetrate exterior walls.

For HD you need a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun!:wavey:

Keep the AR or AK handy for the upcoming civil war.

TGG

#25 The_Gun_Guru, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

Anything capable of stopping a human will penetrate interior walls.

7. This. Plus in my current living situation over-penetration is not an issue so I don't see why a rifle would be inadequate

8. Roger G23

Roger G23 Glock Guy

That's why you clean it. Cause it's a $1100 AK that can shoot 14 cents a round quality military ammo through. lol

9. Roger G23

Roger G23 Glock Guy

Yep. But plain water is the natural counteracting agent to those corrosive salts from the primer. You simply just spray down bolt, carrier, gas tube and barrel then do your normal cleaning and light oil, lube and you're good to go.
    The ammo can be stored for multiple decades and still looks and shoots as if it's brand new. (purpose of using corrosive salts to preserve the primer for several decades)
    I've never had even a hint of rust on my SGL 31
    Take care of it (very easy) and it will take care of you.
    Unlike the record of the AR-15, the AK-74 is unbelievably reliable.
    Runs and runs and runs no matter what.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov is a genius.

10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy *********
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Modern softpoint or JHP 5.56 loads will penetrate interior walls LESS than almost any pistol ammo and most shotgun ammo.

Any serious defensive load will penetrate interior walls to some degree. Seen a .357 JHP contact shot to the head penetrate a ceiling and end up in an attic.

11. Regardless of the caliber, which I think have both been proven effective, I was really wondering about the advantages of the platforms. And is it just me or would it cost a lot more to make a the Colt all "tacticool" than it would the Arsenal? I'm talking about using quality parts and accessories here.

12. Wrong thread

#32 arrtvandelay, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  13. I have both and this absolutely an easy choice. If you don't have an M4 get the Colt, and thank the hell out of me later for the advice. Nothing at all wrong with the Arsenal, just buy the Colt!

14. Yeah I think I am gonna go M4 after all. I don't think I'll have too much buyer's remorse. I'm still planning on getting an Arsenal too, but I'm giving the Colt priority. Thanks for the input guys:wavey:

15. barth

barth six barrels

I'm all about Close Quarters Combat.
    Don't own an AR.
    But I ran a reactive target pistol course with my
    short gas system factory Suchka AK.
    And for me the gun outperformed a HK45 pistol.

My Arsenal SLR-106U has a factory 10.5" chrome lined barrel.
    And is designed to be 100% reliable in that configuration.
    My Personal Defense Weapon runs any LE 5.56 AR ammo I've tried.
    The gun runs like butter and is deadly accurate. It's flat outstanding.
    [​IMG]

#35 barth, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  16. Hey guys since I've settled on the Colt I've got one more question: is 1375 a good price for the LE6920 SOCOM??

17. MrMurphy

MrMurphy *********
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Depends where you are, $1100 is closer to normal.

18. For the SOCOM? Guess I'll keep looking around...the SOCOM isn't a necessity I just thought I was pretty cool with the ambi-safety and the rail already on it