close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

New Remington 1911 R1 :)

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by bac1023, Jul 7, 2010.

1. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Well, my big green case came in today, after much anticipation. :cool:

I was debating on whether to pick up this first or the EMF Hartford that I also have at my shop. Obviously, I chose the Remington. I'll pick up the EMF over the next couple of months.

I just got it home, so I haven't shot it yet, but its an impressive 1911. Slide to frame fit is fairly tight overall for a 1911 of this price, with minimal movement. The black finish is even and very nicely done, as seen in the pics. The grip safety feels a bit on the light side. Its not a problem, but I prefer them to be a bit heavier. The sights are large and easy to use. The trigger seems crisp and I love short aluminum triggers. The wood grips themselves are handsome and set the gun off well. Overall, I find the Remington to be a very good looking 1911. The rollmarks are slightly larger then I prefer, but certainly not obnoxious by any means.

The fact that there is an all American 1911 on the market that's nicely done under a big name for $600 is great news. Like I said, I haven't shot it yet, but range reports seem to be going very well so far. The only thing that puzzles me is why Remington felt the need to go series 80 for something like this. Its certainly not a deal breaker, but I would much prefer a series 70.

Here are some pics. :supergrin:

Please let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

2. dieseldude

dieseldude Glocker

Dec 23, 2008
    sc
    Very nice, place tell us about how the range goes. I am thinking very hard about getting one, it has been eating at me. Nice 1911.

3. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Looks great Brian. Having shot Quack's....in my noob 1911 perspective....it's $600 well spent.

4. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Very nice Bac. It looks handsome for a $600 1911. I'm looking forward to a range report. :)

5. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA

Thanks Cobra.

You can see it next time you're up this way (along with some others). :supergrin:

6. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

May 27, 1999
    Oh, USA
    That is the first new gun in a year or more that makes me want to get the Amex out.

Those photos are remarkable by the way.

7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Thanks Ron. I try. :)

Some days are better than others depending on the lighting.

8. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Jan 24, 2009
    I really do honestly like the looks of it. The one I handled was very well built and I was pretty close to buying it.

My hang up is the cast frame....maybe it's not a big deal...but it does bother me. In the same price range you can get something from Springer that has a steel frame...so for me it's kinda a no brainer which I would go with given the choice. In many circumstance though, the cast frame really probably isn't an issue...it's probably me just being nitpicky.

Bac, can you confirm something I read though about the Remington? Apparently the user manual says not to fire +P ammo out of it...could you let us know if that's the case?

Good looking 1911 overall though! Congrats!

9. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Brian, since you got yours today, it looks like mine should have shipped this afternoon or tomorrow.

10. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
  11. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    Nice one. I handled one today & like it alot. $600 seems good, the shop i was at was selling it for $650. Congrats!

12. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    same as Kimber saying to use SAAMI spec ammo.

Can I fire Plus +P ammo in my 1911 R1?
    The 1911 R1 is designed for use with industry standard SAAMI spec ammunition. It is not designed for use with +P ammo nor is it recommended that this ammo be used in your firearm.

13. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Thanks.

My shop always gives me some nice deals. :)

14. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    James, two came in today and one more will be in tomorrow. The other one that came in today is in the case, but one of the grips has a couple small chips in it. It looks like it got banged around a bit at some point either during shipping or before it left the factory. Remington is sending a new set of grips.

Yours will be the one that comes in tomorrow. If it wasn't for the damaged grip, yours would have been the other one that came in today.

15. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yes, it does state that, though it looks like a generic warning label they may use on all their firearms. :dunno:

WARNING! The specific ammunition cartridge suitable for use in your firearm is marked on the barrel. Different cartridge types and calibers are not interchangeable. Do not use any ammunition other than the designated cartridge specified for your handgun. Do not use ammunition marked with Plus P, "+P" or any other high velocity or pressure ammunition.

Either way, it doesn't bother me in the least. I don't even use +P in my carry 1911.

16. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

May 27, 1999
    Oh, USA
    I have no business buying another 1911 right now, I just got my 1918 grips on the Champion and got the extractor dialed in.

That is the first new gun that I have seen where I cannot find a single feature that I dislike. Nice polish, solid trigger, straight serrations, decent sights, nice looking grips.

Even the markings are not as big when Bac is behind the camera.