close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New PM9 Problems

Discussion in 'Kahr Club' started by drew4691, Mar 30, 2009.

1. drew4691

drew4691
    Expand Collapse

Bought a new PM9 sat at the gun show. Was excited about breaking it in and making it my carry gun.

2nd magazine into breaking it in, the gun failed to eject, had to drop the magazine, pull the slide back, and push the casing out the bottom. That happened about 4 times, and then after round 30, the rest of the 170 rounds shot fine. Was using WWB and PMC. Yes i load by locking the slide back to chamber the rounds, and yes i cleaned it per the instruction manual.

Today i picked up some wolf 9mm FMJ, and figured i would test the reliability after the 200 round break in... More Failure to Eject, about 5 more times, for my box of 50. Same issue, recoil spring stuck between the recoil spring guide and the front of the slide.

Upon inspection, the recoil spring came out the front of the recoil spring guile, and the slide would not not go fully to the rear.

I have some pictures i took with my blackberry, but they are blurry.

So I will call Kahr tomorrow and probably have to send it in. Needless to say, i want to love this pistol, but its not earning my reliable stamp.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!

Attached Files:

#1 drew4691, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. creativetownsman

creativetownsman
    Expand Collapse

Rush to judgment.

3. johnsonabq

johnsonabq
    Expand Collapse

In my experience these little suckers are "High Strung". Love mine but you have to learn their quirks. Mine has had issues with the slide locking back at the end of a mag. That combined with the fact that you have to drop the slide with the release gives me pause thinking of what that might mean in a gunfight. With FMJ practice ammo I can slingshot the slide to reload but... when I load my carry ammo, Federal HST, I have to drop the slide with the release lever. Won't push the round into the chamber any other way. That means extra time on reloads and also why my G36 is my main carry gun. My PM9 is my "Oh Crap!" gun.

4. drew4691

drew4691
    Expand Collapse

Called Kahr, sending it back for them to check out... we will see what happens when i get it back.

5. mpd563

mpd563
    Expand Collapse

Looks like you could have just sent the recoil spring and guide rod back and not the whole gun. That sucks.

6. kubmiester

kubmiester
    Expand Collapse

Give them a chance to change a part or two. When I first got my PM-9 I had some jams, but after a new barrel and recoil spring (and my feed ramp buff job) it never james using the 6 round mags.

7. mesteve2

mesteve2
    Expand Collapse

they are good about service.
    they do a lot of service because of poor quality control. Or just no control.
    Not my idea of a good carry gun get a glock. Only if your life depends on the gun.
    I am a cop so I carry a glock I need it to work and Glocks work.

8. mpd563

mpd563
    Expand Collapse

My PM9 has worked 100% straight from the box and its now at approx 300 rds.

9. cziv

cziv
    Expand Collapse

Mine too!

Reminds me of those Beretta 21a Bobcats - you get a good one or a bad one - but the price of the Kahr PM9 is extremely high for these spotty behaviors that are being reported. IMHO

10. moonshot

moonshot
    Expand Collapse

My PM9 has been flawless since round one, but PM's do seem to be hit or miss. That shouldn't be for a firearm this expensive. I wonder if the recoil spring could have been placed on backwards, either at the factory (possible) or at the gun show (more likely).

Let us know what you find out.

11. ex0dus

ex0dus
    Expand Collapse

/faceplant!

You carry a glock because of politics. Stop drinking the kool-aide!
    Thanks for your service to your city and all, but come on.

12. keepup

keepup
    Expand Collapse

I've had similar problems. First, my shot at the root cause: the slide is hanging up on the end of the recoil spring guide when returning to battery. If this is the case, two simple suggestions: field strip the upper and just rotate the recoil spring 90 degrees until you don't have the problem. Second suggestion: make sure the recoil spring guide is not sitting on the second (upper) radiused shelf of the barrel lug. It need to be sitting on the lower shelf when the barrel is oriented in its normal orientation. This lower shelf is the shelf furthest from the barrel. You don't want it on the radiused shelf nearest the barrel. I hope I'm making sense.

13. drew4691

drew4691
    Expand Collapse

I got home from work with a note from fedex that i missed a package. I'm going to pick up my PM9 from fedex tomorrow and run 100 rds thru her. Will report findings tomorrow.

14. jazurell

jazurell
    Expand Collapse

My PM9 has been flawless with all ammon except Wolf. So I don't use Wolf. Kahr told me Wolff has been a problem. I can live with that.

15. brookie0907

brookie0907
    Expand Collapse

I have about 700 rounds through my PM9 without a single FTF FTE. I mostly shoot WWB, Blazer, Georgia Arms factory reloads. SD ammo = Winchester and Federal.

16. drew4691

drew4691
    Expand Collapse

Got the gun back Saturday, with a note that they found the FTE, replaced the "Magazine Catch Body" part #17, test fired it and it was fine... So, i'm no gunsmith, but if the brass is not ejecting, and the recoil spring is getting caught in the front of the pistol, maybe if they said they replaced the extractor, or feed ramp or something, it would had made more sense to me.... anyway....

Using American Eagle (american made ammo just like kahr said) 4th round into the first magazine, same problem, FTE, recoil spring coming out the front of the pistol. Happened 5 or 6 times, so after about 42 rounds i said screw it, and took it back to the gun shop.

It is back at the gun shop, and the warranty guy is trying to get it replaced. At this point i have lost faith in this particular Kahr, and i want a replacement. (or a refund) We'll see what happens.

here's pic from the range on sat.

#16 drew4691, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  17. johnsonabq

johnsonabq
    Expand Collapse

I would not use American Eagle ammo. It jams my Glock when nothing else does. Try Blazer. It always worked in my PM9. Or Winchester or Magtech etc...

18. cziv

cziv
    Expand Collapse

drew4691

That really sucks! I hope you get a new pistol or your money back. I was more than happy to pay the surcharge for using my credit card. Nothing gets a company's attention better than the term "chargeback!"

I like my PM9 and haven't had a hitch with it but compared to a Beretta or an S&W they seem chintzy by comparison and the price tag is crazy high.

I must admit that even w/o problems, I've had a lot of instances of "buyers remorse" with my new Kahr PM9.

Good luck! :wavey:

19. El Capitan

El Capitan
    Expand Collapse
    Kalibanned

I'm no expert, but I don't think you could judge any gun with Wolf or even American Eagle.

You might have to, hah 'bite the bullet' and purchase more expensive standard ammo to better isolate the issue.

20. cziv

cziv
    Expand Collapse

With all due respect to both johnsonabq & El Capitan - this is a behind the scenes gripe that I didn't mention in my previous post.

I'll certainly judge a pistol by it's inability to function with a variety of factory made ammo!

drew4691 gets a lousy PM9 and sends it back - it returns messed up and the mfg. tells him what brand/s of ammo to use? For a 9mm that is now retailing in the high $600 range?

That just stinks to me and aggravates my sensibilities about all the hype that was/is buzzing about what an awesome pistol the PM9 is.

I'm not hyping Beretta - but my 92FS eats anything in 9mm and it shoots the black out of the bulls-eye (literally). They didn't send me a notice not to use American Eagle, Wolf etc. I can shoot 5 times reloaded ammo with smoke-stained brass and it doesn't hiccup. What the heck am I missing here?