Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

New Pistol Purchasing Policy - I Only Buy Pistols I Will Actually Carry

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ShaneS, May 28, 2012.

1. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

Oct 22, 1999
    Greater D/FW Texas, USA
    I've been shooting and collecting pistols for years. Most of them have been medium and large frame pistols that are fun to shoot at the range.

I've had my TX CHL for the past 15 or so years but very rarely carry on my person because full-sized pistols are uncomfortable for me to carry. I decided recently that I am going to carry often and have been selling pistols that I am not likely to ever carry (ex. G21) and purchasing pistols that I am likely to actually carry (ex. Shield, CM9). I have lost some weight and purchased some high quality IWB holsters.

I have a few larger pistols that I will not part with, but I think I will stick with this new philosophy for future purchases.
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Makes sense, if I could only find a IWB holster for my
    7.5" Super Blackhawk!

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    I've never been into "collecting" myself, so your approach makes sense to me.

Shoot what you carry, carry what you shoot.
  4. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

May 21, 2011
    North-Central Florida
    I agree with you, mostly. I sold my Ruger Super Blackhawk, S&W 37, and Beretta 21. The Ruger is too big to carry, the S&W is 5 shots and can't handle +P. I'd rather carry my Glock 26 since it has more shots and can be fed +P, making it far superior, in my opinion. The Beretta is gone because I don't want to depend on a .22 rimfire in a gun fight.

I did keep my bull barreled Ruger MK II. It's cheap to shoot and heavy enough to help condition the muscles used when pointing a pistol.
  5. Im ALMOST like that...They dont necessarily have to be "carry" pistols..but they DO have to be a pistol(or ANY gun) that I will actually USE. I wont own/have or understand having a gun that sits for the most part in a gun case/vault/collection gathering dust never shot...I just dont have $$ for stuff like that lol. if i own it it HAS to get used somehow...with a few very RARE exceptions(like a heirloom thats just too old but was handed down but isnt safe or your scared to fire...I get having that and not shooting it..i just dont get having a gun that sits in a safe not shot thats 100% capable of being shot lol).
  6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    The SBH is one I'll never sell. It's a hunting back up & a great woods gun.
  7. Lior

Jul 23, 2004
    This policy is okay if you do not compete seriously in shooting matches. Raceguns and Olympic pistols do not lend themselves to easy concealment or carryability. Two of my pistols are completely unsuitable for carry.
  8. kamonjj

Sep 7, 2010
    Norfolk, VA
    I have been doing the exact same thing. I have been pretty much selling every gun that is a range queen that I could part with. Unfortunately the shield is on back order everywhere.
  9. Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    The only major problem with your policy - it needs an exception.

Every rule needs an exception. :upeyes:

I would add an exception for .22 caliber guns - 3 out of the last 6 guns I purchased were .22 caliber.

IMHO if you like to actually shoot - the .22 is your friend. :supergrin:

A brick of 500 .22 LR ~$20 or less on sale.

Which buys me about

~85 rounds of 9MM
    ~65 rounds of 40S&W
    ~55 rounds of 45 ACP

Its not all about SD with me - I like to shoot because it is FUN - and spending $20 and getting - 3 hours shooting 500 rounds of .22 is a lot more fun that spending $20 and getting 15 minutes shooting 45 ACP.

10. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas

You've got it all wrong. You need to rethink your entire pistol purchasing belief system.

You don't buy pistols because you're going to carry them, or collect them or anything else.

You buy pistols because you WANT them.
    No other reason is required or even desirable.

It's normal to want every pistol you see.
    The more pistols you have the more normal of a person you are.

I can't believe some of the things I've read in this thread.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  11. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Not me.

I'm a collector and only carry a few of my handguns.

I do see your point though.
  12. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    I have seven handguns and try to have every one somewhat
    different to fill different roles.

Mostly I'm only interested in guns I can carry.
    But my S&W 629-2 44 mag isn't going anywhere - LOL!
    I'm not comfortable carrying cocked and locked either.
    But may still add a classic 1911 to the arsenal at some time.

Having only carry guns makes sense.
    I don't always make sense - LOL!
  13. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Fixed it for ya!!:rofl::rofl:
  14. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    Makes sense to go down to only what you will carry. I have a similar approach now, but my approach is to go down to only what I shoot. If I kept only what I carry I'd only have 3-4 handguns.
  15. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Agreed - if one likes to shoot a .22 is about mandatory.
  16. Andrewsky

May 28, 2004
    I think it's hilarious when people complain about how uncomfortable it is for them to carry their giant steel-framed doublestack guns in cheap IWB holsters with their Kohl's belt under a t-shirt. I recommend:

-Wearing loose clothing
    -Using a proper gun belt
    -Balancing out the weight on your belt with a back-up gun or spare ammunition on the opposite side
    -Using an OWB holster
    -Carrying a single stack pistol (keep weight out of the grip, which lies above the belt).
  17. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    You're in denial.
    That's not healthy.

You need to buy a gun today.
  18. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland

Not me.
    I'm not a 'collector', per se, but, if I like a pistol/revolver, it will be considered for purchase.

Manufacturer's reputation. Model's reputation. Caliber. All taken into consideration.
  19. mrt949

Sep 26, 2009
    At my stage in life if I can use it for cc it is a keper if not it goes.
  20. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Remember the thread asking if buying a new firearm was exciting?

It's just not anymore. Ammo and accessories for my AR are where I would much rather spend my limited firearms budget.